What Does The Bible REALLY Say About Queer People?

June is Gay Pride Month. It is a time for parades and for festivals, for rainbow flags and for dance tents. It is a time to recognize the amazing progress that has been made on LGBT equality as we recommit ourselves to continuing the struggle until liberty and justice for all really means "all." Everywhere.

And this year it is not only about gearing up for Pride; it is about counting down to "Decision Day." It is about awaiting the Supreme Court rulings on the Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee marriage cases -- rulings due any day - that could finally make marriage equality a reality in all fifty states.

So here's the 2015 version of my Top Ten FAQs about God, Jesus, the Bible and LGBT People -- offered in hope that together we truly can be the change we want to see in the world and offered in rebuttal to the rabid rhetoric of the anti-gay religious right that infuses our public discourse and infects our political process. Those who use God, Jesus and the Bible as weapons of mass discrimination do not speak for me. And they do not speak for my church.

1. Is being gay a sin?
No. Sins are acts that separate us from God and keep us from loving our neighbors as ourselves. Being gay is not a sin. Bullying is a sin. Being hateful to other people is a sin. Putting yourself in the place of God to judge others is a sin. Being gay is not.

Much More (2 thru 10): God, Jesus and the Bible: FAQs for Gay Pride Month - Rev. Susan Russell

Why do homophobes waste so much time, energy and hate being afraid of LGBT folks and trying to legislate them into the shadows? Fear and superstition, I suppose. I don't get it.

Still stupid I see.......Trying the make the Bible say what you want it to.....what a clown.

Since the left wants to push this really hard I decided to fire three people who I thought were gay. I didn't tell them that was the exact reason but because we are living in a country where my right to choose is becoming extinct I decided to fire them as a political statement. I also asked two black people if they wanted to get paid in watermelon seed and if you want to make that a crime then see first amendment.

June is Gay Pride Month. It is a time for parades and for festivals, for rainbow flags and for dance tents. It is a time to recognize the amazing progress that has been made on LGBT equality as we recommit ourselves to continuing the struggle until liberty and justice for all really means "all." Everywhere.

And this year it is not only about gearing up for Pride; it is about counting down to "Decision Day." It is about awaiting the Supreme Court rulings on the Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio and Tennessee marriage cases -- rulings due any day - that could finally make marriage equality a reality in all fifty states.

So here's the 2015 version of my Top Ten FAQs about God, Jesus, the Bible and LGBT People -- offered in hope that together we truly can be the change we want to see in the world and offered in rebuttal to the rabid rhetoric of the anti-gay religious right that infuses our public discourse and infects our political process. Those who use God, Jesus and the Bible as weapons of mass discrimination do not speak for me. And they do not speak for my church.

1. Is being gay a sin?
No. Sins are acts that separate us from God and keep us from loving our neighbors as ourselves. Being gay is not a sin. Bullying is a sin. Being hateful to other people is a sin. Putting yourself in the place of God to judge others is a sin. Being gay is not.

Much More (2 thru 10): God, Jesus and the Bible: FAQs for Gay Pride Month - Rev. Susan Russell

Why do homophobes waste so much time, energy and hate being afraid of LGBT folks and trying to legislate them into the shadows? Fear and superstition, I suppose. I don't get it.

Still stupid I see.......Trying the make the Bible say what you want it to.....what a clown.
Does the bible actually say that "God Hates Fags" or are you trying to make it say what you want it to say?

1. Is being gay a sin?

I'd just be happy if you people made it what it is, and knew it...

Homosexual sex is a sin with the penalty of stoning to death. It is one of the most severe in the Bible. There's no getting around that one.

You also deserved death for not being circumcised, or eating a cheese burger ( any food that mixes meat and dairy). I'm guessing you prefer to ignore that part of the bible though.

1. Is being gay a sin?

Does the bible actually say that "God Hates Fags" or are you trying to make it say what you want it to say?
It's close enough for government work as long as you ignore the fact that it was written by men who hated fags, not God.

1. Is being gay a sin?

Actually, I think the Bible is mostly fairy tales written by ancient and superstitious old men.

1. Is being gay a sin?

Actually, I think the Bible is mostly fairy tales written by ancient and superstitious old men.
Yep. Religion is for cave-dwellers, obviously.

The Bible says it's an abomination. True story :)
The Bible says eating pork is an abomination and yet practically all Christians disregard that. If the biblical rationale is to used you should also be looking to ban pork production and see pig eaters as morally deficient sinners, hated by God and rightfully shunned by decent society. You pick and choose what you will disregard and what you will be obedient to. Using the "God's commandment" argument is but an excuse unless you try to follow everything in the biblical law books to the letter.

LOL You're quoting Mosaic and Ceremonial law, done away with by the New Covenant.
That's my point, all the gay stuff is in the same books.

Homosexuality is condemned in the New Testament also. You won't win this one, best run along. Also the ban on eating pork was directed at the Jews,never the Gentiles

Since when did Paul's teachings become more important than Jesus's teachings?

Thanks for playing :) And Jesus would never have tolerated homosexuality, He would follow the Bible
Funny he never mentioned it, he must not have felt it was that important.

Ne never mentioned murder or pedophiles either....you fail....again :) Best you run along, I'm slaying you, badly
If you think so, to me you are looking like a flaming hypocrite. Jesus commanded that we love our neighbor, I don't remember any exceptions.

Well you started out with eating pork was sin and went down hill from there, cut your losses and run along. You came, you saw and I kicked your ass :)
My original point still stands, you are using the bible to justify your hatred when other parts of the bible command us to love the sinner. How do you reconcile this since you are using the exact same rationale as those Westborough jerks to say that gays do not deserve the same rights you have and that it is OK to treat them like scum in defiance of Jesus' greatest commandment?

"Love the sinner - NOT the sin"

I can not tell you what Jesus would say about perverts, but I can't help but believe that he wouldn't look kindly on any pervert - but that's me. Perverts are perverts, whether they be child molesters, homosexuals or any of the other perversions.

Because a man-made "government" tells you it's acceptable doesn't make it so. Rome was the pillar of government in it's day. Then came Caligua.

1. Is being gay a sin?

And you are welcome to believe whatever the hell you like. Your choice. More than you give for those who disagree with your nonsense, wouldn't you agree?

Noah's Ark is one of my favorite fairy tales.

noahs_ark.jpg

noahs-beaver-problem.jpg

The Bible says eating pork is an abomination and yet practically all Christians disregard that. If the biblical rationale is to used you should also be looking to ban pork production and see pig eaters as morally deficient sinners, hated by God and rightfully shunned by decent society. You pick and choose what you will disregard and what you will be obedient to. Using the "God's commandment" argument is but an excuse unless you try to follow everything in the biblical law books to the letter.

LOL You're quoting Mosaic and Ceremonial law, done away with by the New Covenant.

Homosexuality is condemned in the New Testament also. You won't win this one, best run along. Also the ban on eating pork was directed at the Jews,never the Gentiles

Because Saul (Paul) was told to go forth and preach the word unto all the Nation's. You don't like the message, that's your choice. It's all about choice, my friend. Hell, I may be as guilty - I can't turn away from Baby Back Ribs. Hopefully on Judgement day - I'll catch a break. Along with all my other sins, including killing, beating, lying. But, I guess in your world, since I killed, beat and lied for my government, it is all good, right?

By the way. What "obamination" is, by Urban Dictionary:
The disastrous result of doing or following the speakings of a smooth talker.
"This whole-life insurance policy has turned into an obamination."
"That swamp land I bought is an obamination"
Just in case someone doesn`t know

I didn't know. Thanks!

Men wrote the Bible. Men wrote the Constitution. Therefore, the Constitution trumps the Bible.

WHAT? I baked a cake. I baked a pie. Therefore pie trumps cake........ Are you nuts?
Men authored the Constitution. Men scribed the Bible under the influence of the Holy Spirit. Therefore the Creator trumps the creation on every level.

And 100% of Native Americans had better things to do than be offended by a ball club's name until they were told to be offended.......

Funny he never mentioned it, he must not have felt it was that important.

Ne never mentioned murder or pedophiles either....you fail....again :) Best you run along, I'm slaying you, badly
If you think so, to me you are looking like a flaming hypocrite. Jesus commanded that we love our neighbor, I don't remember any exceptions.

Well you started out with eating pork was sin and went down hill from there, cut your losses and run along. You came, you saw and I kicked your ass :)
My original point still stands, you are using the bible to justify your hatred when other parts of the bible command us to love the sinner. How do you reconcile this since you are using the exact same rationale as those Westborough jerks to say that gays do not deserve the same rights you have and that it is OK to treat them like scum in defiance of Jesus' greatest commandment?

I can not tell you what Jesus would say about perverts, but I can't help but believe that he wouldn't look kindly on any pervert - but that's me. Perverts are perverts, whether they be child molesters, homosexuals or any of the other perversions.

Because a man-made "government" tells you it's acceptable doesn't make it so. Rome was the pillar of government in it's day. Then came Caligua.

All laws are man-made, even the biblical ones, Until God shows up personally to clarify his position we are left with our interpretations. The commandment of love thy neighbor translates directly to the equal protection clause, which says that rights cannot be denied to entire groups of people. Part of loving your neighbor involves not treating them like second-class citizens.

All laws are man-made, even the biblical ones, Until God shows up personally to clarify his position we are left with our interpretations. The commandment of love thy neighbor translates directly to the equal protection clause, which says that rights cannot be denied to entire groups of people. Part of loving your neighbor involves not treating them like second-class citizens.

You botched eating pork being sinful, why should anyone take your limited Biblical knowledge serious?

Since gentiles became the faithful instead of who Yeshua came for, the Jews. A Jewish cult turned into the religion know-nothing gentiles? Thanks a lot Paul.

In this case Peter was right. Damn shame that he was such an asshole as well since Mary was the only one with a clue.

Forum List

Back