What do you grow?

Grow cannabis.

Not only can pot be used for recreational purposes, but it can also be used for other things..........

Like fabric (where do you think canvas came from), as well as food, and not only that, but things like fiber (Corvette has used hemp fibers for their bodies), as well as for biofuel.

I believe it is still illegal in many states to grow it. I think it should be made legal.

Trying giant pumpkins again. In the big leagues 100 pounders are chump change but that was the best I could do a couple of years ago. Last year the vines failed and I got nothing. It's a fun thing if you have the room and the time though. To grow giant pumpkins you need giant seeds, no joke. The seeds are regular size but you need to get them from a giant pumpkins, namely pumpkin champions like Dill. Plant them in peat pots point side down and in a few days they explode out of the ground and you can almost watch the two big leaves get bigger. I was a little late this year but I have one in the ground and another standing by in a bigger peat pot. The other two that sprouted, I hate to just let them die so I don't know. I worked the bed with good aged chicken manure manure and I might spray for vine borers. Who knows maybe a 800 pounder.

Giant pumpkin #1 found murdered. Suspect was the dog since she is a digger and the plant wasn't consumed but yanked out of the ground. Substitute #2 immediately replaced and covered by garden ground cloth and so far doing well.

Grow cannabis.

Not only can pot be used for recreational purposes, but it can also be used for other things..........

Like fabric (where do you think canvas came from), as well as food, and not only that, but things like fiber (Corvette has used hemp fibers for their bodies), as well as for biofuel.

I believe it is still illegal in many states to grow it. I think it should be made legal.

Yeah................it is illegal to grow it in many states. However, making a small change to the Marijuana Stamp Act could fix that.

Additionally.....................cannabis is classed as a Schedule I drug, which means it has no medicinal qualities and is highly addictive.

Got news for the doctors and the government....................cannabis (i.e. pot) is not only medicinally beneficial (check the studies done on it by the government since the 1960's, as well as what Harvard Medical and the Royal Medical Society of Britain have said about it), but it can also be used for other things. Harvest the buds and use the rest for cloth, food and biofuel.

The only reason pot is illegal is because of Anslinger and his racist views.

BTW........................did you know that dark skinned people are arrested at almost a 5 to 1 ratio as what whites are?

Go ahead........................check into why marijuana is illegal, and tell me it didn't happen for racist motives.

If you support keeping pot illegal, you're buying into the racist bullshit.

Grow cannabis.

Yeah................it is illegal to grow it in many states. However, making a small change to the Marijuana Stamp Act could fix that.

Additionally.....................cannabis is classed as a Schedule I drug, which means it has no medicinal qualities and is highly addictive.

Got news for the doctors and the government....................cannabis (i.e. pot) is not only medicinally beneficial (check the studies done on it by the government since the 1960's, as well as what Harvard Medical and the Royal Medical Society of Britain have said about it), but it can also be used for other things. Harvest the buds and use the rest for cloth, food and biofuel.

BTW........................did you know that dark skinned people are arrested at almost a 5 to 1 ratio as what whites are?

Go ahead........................check into why marijuana is illegal, and tell me it didn't happen for racist motives.

Yeah right, you want to make canvas. Be warned that if I ever see a biker/sailor try to sell drugs to my grandsons the 2nd Amendment will come into play.

Yeah right, you want to make canvas. Be warned that if I ever see a biker/sailor try to sell drugs to my grandsons the 2nd Amendment will come into play.

Won't sell it to them if they don't want it.

I don't really like liquor stores....................does that mean I can shoot you if you come out from one with a bottle or two?

Sorry dude...........................but if they want to buy it, they're gonna get it, just like the older generation does with alcohol.

And yeah....................the fibers from the plant is what makes canvas. And..................the only reason it's (cannabis, aka pot, aka marijuana) is illegal is because of some racist idiot named Anslinger.

BTW......................I hope that the lawyers start arguing that pot isn't a Class I narcotic, because Class I substances are illegal because they have no medicinal use (and yeah, according to the data, marijuana has very good medicinal uses), as well as is highly addictive (there is NO data that says cannabis is addictive. Matter of fact, it's less addictive than alcohol).

Is it inside or outside?
Is it in pots or in the ground?
Is it flowers or veggies?
Is it shrubs...flowering or just greenery?
Anyone grow fruits? Trees or bush fruits or canes?
In what area of the country are you gardening?

The majority of my gardening is outside. I live in the S.E. so I can grow nearly year round as our ground never freezes. I have some potted things on our front porch & a few scattered in the yard but most things are planted in the ground here.
I grow a bit of everything...veggies, perennial flowers & shrubs, annual flowers, have some lemon trees currently (planning more fruit trees soon), have both wild blackberries and wild blueberries on our property.

So what do the rest of you grow and how and what area?

Pots-annuals, tomato, pepper plant, herbs.

No fruit but there are some wild rasberry bushes around-very thorny.

In the ground. Lots of flowering perennials and annuals.

Here's the run down!

In the ground:

2 Climbing Don Juan roses
2 Van hooty spirea
23 hydrangeas
3 boxwoods
2 blue spruce
2 Tiger lilies
13 or so Stargazer lilies
Several buttercups
1 pot of coral bells
1 clump of brown eyed Susan
2 peonies
1 Jackmanii clematis, that doesn't do well
4 or 5 clumps of morning glories

Herbs:

3 basil
3 sage
3 rosemary
4 parsley
2 cilantro
1 tarragon
1 thyme
2 Oregano

Mint:

Orange mint
Chocolate mint
Pineapple mint
Apple mint
Unknown kind of mint

In pots:

Petunias
Portulaca
Aloe Vera
Citronella
Confederate Jasmine
Impatiens
Mandevilla
Gardenia - doing poorly
2 other things I can't recall the name of
1 fern to be divided when I get time

It seems I grow a lot of deer food. Last year they ate my hostas, this year, they ate two of my hydrangeas. I'm thinking of putting out a deer feeder away from the house to see if that will distract them from my plants. It didn't work with the squeeeeerels, but maybe it will work with the deer. For now, it's blood meal and Deer Off.

Have your husband go to the bathroom around the perimeter.

That works on bears, but I've never seen it work on moose.

Anything that isn't Monsanto seed. What their seed produces ( I believe ) is poisonous to the human body. I would advise everyone to not buy Monsanto seed. Check around. You can buy seed still that is not connected to Monsanto and the first thing I'd do after the first crop is save the seeds.

You'll be needing them in the future. Read up on seed storage - etc. You'll be glad you did.

One of the joys of Monsanto seed is the fact that it doesn't generate viable seed. So you pretty much have to buy new next year. I'm with you about GMOs. I only buy and plant heirloom varieties and save seed whenever I can.

Trying giant pumpkins again. In the big leagues 100 pounders are chump change but that was the best I could do a couple of years ago. Last year the vines failed and I got nothing. It's a fun thing if you have the room and the time though. To grow giant pumpkins you need giant seeds, no joke. The seeds are regular size but you need to get them from a giant pumpkins, namely pumpkin champions like Dill. Plant them in peat pots point side down and in a few days they explode out of the ground and you can almost watch the two big leaves get bigger. I was a little late this year but I have one in the ground and another standing by in a bigger peat pot. The other two that sprouted, I hate to just let them die so I don't know. I worked the bed with good aged chicken manure manure and I might spray for vine borers. Who knows maybe a 800 pounder.

I live in the giant pumpkin capitol of the world, Alaska. I prefer growing smaller varieties, though...sugar and pie pumpkins, they are tastier and not so tough. The seeds are also great for worming my livestock, being anthelmintics.

I live in the giant pumpkin capitol of the world, Alaska. I prefer growing smaller varieties, though...sugar and pie pumpkins, they are tastier and not so tough. The seeds are also great for worming my livestock, being anthelmintics.

I wanted to try great gunnera this year, but I think I've waited too late. I bought one once several years back, and something dug it out of the ground and ate it the first night it was in the ground.

Gunnera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Won't sell it to them if they don't want it.

I don't really like liquor stores....................does that mean I can shoot you if you come out from one with a bottle or two?

Sorry dude...........................but if they want to buy it, they're gonna get it, just like the older generation does with alcohol.

And yeah....................the fibers from the plant is what makes canvas. And..................the only reason it's (cannabis, aka pot, aka marijuana) is illegal is because of some racist idiot named Anslinger.

BTW......................I hope that the lawyers start arguing that pot isn't a Class I narcotic, because Class I substances are illegal because they have no medicinal use (and yeah, according to the data, marijuana has very good medicinal uses), as well as is highly addictive (there is NO data that says cannabis is addictive. Matter of fact, it's less addictive than alcohol).

It is ridiculous how we put so many in jail for getting caught with marijuana. And most of the people that are against making it legal probably smoke cigarettes and drink alcohol.

I wanted to try great gunnera this year, but I think I've waited too late. I bought one once several years back, and something dug it out of the ground and ate it the first night it was in the ground.

Gunnera - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Holy cow! That thing looks positively paleolithic! Is it edible for humans?

I grow a lot of stuff. :D

One of the staples in my garden is kale, the 'lacinato' variety. It's one of those kinds of plants that'll give you more food than you can handle if you treat it well.

I grow a lot of stuff. :D

One of the staples in my garden is kale, the 'lacinato' variety. It's one of those kinds of plants that'll give you more food than you can handle if you treat it well.

Funny you mention that, a friend was just telling me she was going to grow some Kale.

What does Kale taste like? Is it anything like Collard Greens or Turnip Greens?

It seems I grow a lot of deer food. Last year they ate my hostas, this year, they ate two of my hydrangeas. I'm thinking of putting out a deer feeder away from the house to see if that will distract them from my plants. It didn't work with the squeeeeerels, but maybe it will work with the deer. For now, it's blood meal and Deer Off.

Have your husband go to the bathroom around the perimeter.

That works on bears, but I've never seen it work on moose.

It works for raccoons.

Forum List

Back