What do you grow?

Iris are in bloom, columbine is blooming, all annuals-petunias, marigolds, impatients are looking great. Clematis is close to bloom. Ferns and hostas doing great in the shade garden with some coleus. Peppers, tomatoes doing well although way too early to produce yet. Herbs looking good.

We just need some more sun and less rain at this point so everything dries out a little.

Speaking of flowers, I've had some difficulty growing them. See, I really like the thought of growing flowers for medicinal purposes. So I tried growing German chamomile again in transplant containers, and still none of them germinated. Maybe it was a bad packet of seeds, or I have wronged god of chamomile. I also tried echinacea purpurea in the garden, and they never revealed their showy selves. Lastly, I tried beautiful orange 'Californian' poppy. Oh, they germinated alright in their containers, but then for some reason the base of their little stems shriveled up, and one by one they croaked. At least dandelions grow well for me. :)

Yeah, we have no problem keeping dandelions alive. It's getting rid of them all that's the problem, LOL.

I've pretty much given up and just mow them regularly.

Yeah, we have no problem keeping dandelions alive. It's getting rid of them all that's the problem, LOL.

Dandelions are really useful, tho. You can take the heads/petals, dry them, and use them for an herbal tea. The tea is high in vitamins and is good for the immune system. The tender young leaves can be used for salads and can be used medicinally as an effective laxative; if you pick the leaves after the flowers bloom, it's best to boil them a bit to tone down the bitterness. Lastly, the roots have powerful diuretic and hepatic-cleansing properties. In the fall, when the roots sweeten, dig'em up and eat them. In the spring they're eaten/dried for use as a hepatic Spring cleanser/tonic. Lastly, you can dry, roast, and grind up the roots for use as a rather delicious coffee substitute.

Right now I've got about a pint of dried dandelion petals in an air-tight jar for tea, and am planning to dig up the sweet roots in autumn for roasting. Dandelions are a treasue ripe for the taking. You can also use the petals for sweet wine and delicious, herbal jelly.

Speaking of flowers, I've had some difficulty growing them. See, I really like the thought of growing flowers for medicinal purposes. So I tried growing German chamomile again in transplant containers, and still none of them germinated. Maybe it was a bad packet of seeds, or I have wronged god of chamomile. I also tried echinacea purpurea in the garden, and they never revealed their showy selves. Lastly, I tried beautiful orange 'Californian' poppy. Oh, they germinated alright in their containers, but then for some reason the base of their little stems shriveled up, and one by one they croaked. At least dandelions grow well for me. :)

Hey, don't complain! Dandelion leaves are tasty if you get them young. They have lots of medicinal purposes. Dry out the roots and make tea...it's good for you if you have any type of liver disease, or, even if you don't!

How To Make Dandelion Root Tea | LIVESTRONG.COM

Dandelions are really useful, tho. You can take the heads/petals, dry them, and use them for an herbal tea. The tea is high in vitamins and is good for the immune system. The tender young leaves can be used for salads and can be used medicinally as an effective laxative; if you pick the leaves after the flowers bloom, it's best to boil them a bit to tone down the bitterness. Lastly, the roots have powerful diuretic and hepatic-cleansing properties. In the fall, when the roots sweeten, dig'em up and eat them. In the spring they're eaten/dried for use as a hepatic Spring cleanser/tonic. Lastly, you can dry, roast, and grind up the roots for use as a rather delicious coffee substitute.

Right now I've got about a pint of dried dandelion petals in an air-tight jar for tea, and am planning to dig up the sweet roots in autumn for roasting. Dandelions are a treasue ripe for the taking. You can also use the petals for sweet wine and delicious, herbal jelly.

HAHA! OK, you already know this! Good!:clap2:

Don't forget dandelion wine! I just put up a dozen bottles of new wine and am waiting for a fresh batch of dandelions to make next year's wine.

There is a caution whenever you collect "weeds" for food or medicinal purposes; resist collecting plants growing near roads, they often contain lots of heavy metals and other pollutants associated with vehicle traffic.

Last edited:
Iris are in bloom, columbine is blooming, all annuals-petunias, marigolds, impatients are looking great. Clematis is close to bloom. Ferns and hostas doing great in the shade garden with some coleus. Peppers, tomatoes doing well although way too early to produce yet. Herbs looking good.

We just need some more sun and less rain at this point so everything dries out a little.

We bloom a little earlier, here! My Columbines are done, just pretty green plants now, even my two Clematis are done blooming. I've already gotten about 6 tomatoes, 6 Bell peppers and umpteen banana peppers from my plants and it looks like I'm going to get bombarded with red tomatoes all at the same time. My cukes are still small, but those things grow fast, they can sneak up on you!

I just need more rain, so I don't have to water them myself. You are lucky to have so much rain.

Don't forget dandelion wine! I just put up a dozen bottles of new wine and am waiting for a fresh batch of dandelions to make next year's wine.

There is a caution whenever you collect "weeds" for food or medicinal purposes; resist collecting plants growing near roads, they often contain lots of heavy metals and other pollutants associated with vehicle traffic.

Dang, you and Wake would probably make it and win on Survivor! I usually just pull those dandelions in disgust - don't know if I can bring myself to actually eat them, but it sounds like it's not a bad plant after all! :lol:

When you buy those expensive 'designer' greens at the grocery, they have dandelions in them.

Several years ago I did some research on edible wild plants. That is quite a study in and of itself. There are many plants which can be used for medicine as well as food.

When you buy those expensive 'designer' greens at the grocery, they have dandelions in them.

Several years ago I did some research on edible wild plants. That is quite a study in and of itself. There are many plants which can be used for medicine as well as food.

Absolutely. There's this other garden weed people love to hate called purslane.

purslane_500_400.JPG

It's a vastly underrated plant, and has even appeared on the Men's Health Big Book of Health and Nutrition.

Purslane

Although the FDA classifies purslane as a broad-leaved weed, it's a popular vegetable and herb in many other countries, including China, Mexico, and Greece. It has the highest amount of heart-healthy omega-3 fats of any edible plant, according to researchers at the University of Texas at San Antonio. The scientists also report that this herb has 10 to 20 times more melatonin - an antioxidant that may inhibit cancer growth - than any other fruit or vegetable tested. Think of purslane as a great alternative or addition to lettuce.

1 cup (43g): Calories 7, fiber 0g, protein 1g, fat 0g, carbs 1g, vitamin C 15%, vitamin A 11%.

pg 102

Hidden treasures.

I specialize in Alaskan edible/medicinal plants. Many plants I grow myself, some I wildcraft, like coltsfoot and wormwood.

I specialize in Alaskan edible/medicinal plants. Many plants I grow myself, some I wildcraft, like coltsfoot and wormwood.

WOW. My mother knew a lot about herbal remedies, but she preferred medicine. My grandfather used to go into the woods and harvest ginseng and sell it. I like the ginseng tea, but it will make you horney! I also like sassafras tea and hard sassafras candy.

SS

purslane_500_400.JPG

It's a vastly underrated plant, and has even appeared on the Men's Health Big Book of Health and Nutrition.

Purslane

Although the FDA classifies purslane as a broad-leaved weed, it's a popular vegetable and herb in many other countries, including China, Mexico, and Greece. It has the highest amount of heart-healthy omega-3 fats of any edible plant, according to researchers at the University of Texas at San Antonio. The scientists also report that this herb has 10 to 20 times more melatonin - an antioxidant that may inhibit cancer growth - than any other fruit or vegetable tested. Think of purslane as a great alternative or addition to lettuce.

1 cup (43g): Calories 7, fiber 0g, protein 1g, fat 0g, carbs 1g, vitamin C 15%, vitamin A 11%.

pg 102

Hidden treasures.

Here's another common weed that has helpful properties.
plantain weed - Google Search

Plantain: First Aid in Your Backyard by Corinna Wood

purslane_500_400.JPG

Purslane

pg 102

Hidden treasures.

My yard is loaded with that, too. My front yard is a living breathing medicine chest. LOL!

Forum List

Back