What are you reading?

The Forgotten Man: A New History of the Great Depression
Book by Amity Shlaes

The History of Florida is edited by Michael Gannon I recommend this book highly for those with an interest in Florida history it is the best I have found on the subject and needs to be used in our school system as a textbook. Written in a way that keeps your interest and a very thorough well-done book .

Civil War Blockade Running On Floridas Gulf Coast by Toni Collins. The Author does a fine job of researching A subject That gets little attention. The book keeps your attention and is a real find for those of us with A deep interest in the history of the Civil War in the United States. I recommend this book highly.

I haven't read any Ender Series since Enders Shadow which came out in 1999.
Read the first 5 books, liked them all.... not sure why I never read any more of them.
Anyhow - reading Ender in Exile right now. Currently 21% through it... this is a sloow burn.
Struggling a bit to keep interested. Pretty much nothing has happened but a lot of conversations.
If it doesn't get better soon I may give it up.
Sad because the first 4 books were so awesome.

The Case Against Hunger A Demand for A National Policy by Earnest F. Hollings former U.S. Senator. 1970
I first read it as a teen in high school. It helped form my opinions on the issue.

I suggest reading this book to all who are interested in poverty issues and those who want to be involved.
I am reading it now but have read it in the past and should be read by all before they form an opinion on poverty in America.

Last edited:
Picked up George Takei's They Called Us Enemy; I wonder why publishers feel compelled to subject books to so much marketing (yes, we can't do without it, but it sure can be mitigated). I wonder because the book is aggressively presented as a "graphic memoir," which it definitely is. But it feels as if we're losing track of how memoirs can offer personal, lived, individual experiences of formalized history. This one certainly does. No matter how you market books, serious readers are going to be appreciative and discerning. But I guess the marketing is done to sell books to those who might not otherwise buy a particular book. Writers need royalty after all.

The Last Hill: The Epic Story of a Ranger Battalion and the Battle That Defined WWII​

by Bob Drury (Author), Tom Clavin (Author)

Very well written, I can tell this is going to be an enjoyable read. I saw the authors discussing the book on CSPAN and was interested in hearing their stories, and bought it, and am glad I did.

Government Gangsters: The Deep State, the Truth, and the Battle for Our Democracy

In Government Gangsters, Kash Patel—a former top official in the White House, the Department of Defense, the Intelligence Community, and the Department of Justice—pulls back the curtain on the Deep State, revealing the major players and tactics within the permanent government bureaucracy, which has spent decades stripping power away from the American people and their elected leaders. Based on his firsthand knowledge, Patel reveals how we can defeat the Deep State, reassert self-government, and restore our democracy.

Intellectuals and Society by Thomas Sowell.

1694900925342.png

I like Sowell, but this one requires a pre-read to understand just how he looks at what he calls "visions".

The book "A Conflict of Visions" is very interesting (also by Sowell) and helps provide some context for his approach to the subject of Intellectuals and the Intelligentcia.

How far you get I keep getting bogged down it is so boring, the missionaries gave me a link so I can listen to it instead of read it.

Reading end to end isn't a good way to approach it.....in my opinion.

It has many stories that teach doctrine in smaller sections. It also demonstrates the basic nature of humans over and over again through the history that it tells.

One thing people don't know (including many members) is that the Book of Mormon says a great deal about government and the need to keep an eye on things because there is always an elite class that desires power for the purposes of enslaving others.

There appear to be many "secret combinations" and the equivalent of the Gadianton Robbers in today's world.

Currently, The Lost City of Z: A Tale of Deadly Obsession in the Amazon by David Grann

[ame=[MEDIA=amazon]0385513534[/MEDIA] Lost City of Z[/ame]

From Publishers Weekly:

John Grisham's review for Amazon.com:

I'm about halfway through it and I must say it is quite interesting and very well written.

Crime and Punishment
The Catcher in the Rye

Reading research studies on what makes someone like violent crime, the occult and sex films. What studies link violence, sex, and the occult interests to hereditary genes, ethnicity/country came from , culture background, interests, genetics. Trying to do research to see why I am the way I am.

Sometimes I wonder if a strong German/Irish genetic background is why I seem to have a propensity to the occult, oversexed, and enjoy violence/ blood/ gore, but I find no research to support this hypothesis of mine.

Although I also am half Native American.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back