What are you reading?

Five Lies of Our Anti-Christian Age

In this powerful book, Rosaria Butterfield uses Scripture to confront 5 common lies about sexuality, faith, feminism, gender roles, and modesty often promoted in our secular culture today. Written in the style of a memoir, this book explores Butterfield’s personal battle with these lies—interwoven with cultural studies, literary criticism, and theology—to help readers see the beauty in biblical womanhood, marriage, and motherhood.

The Parasitic Mind - How Infectious Ideas Are Killing Common Sense - Regnery Publishing

“[In The Parasitic Mind] Gad Saad argues that ‘nefarious forces have slowly eroded the West’s
commitment to reason, science, and the values of the Enlightenment’ and
that these forces act like the weird brain parasites that alter the behavior of
mice to make them less afraid of cats, driving human society towards a dark
age of irrational prejudice and superstition. His courage, his rationality, and
his enthusiasm for that much-neglected thing, the truth, shine through this
powerful book.”

—MATT RIDLEY, PH.D.,

I don't see a topic for this. If there already is one feel free to merge.

I just finished reading Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the 116 Days that Changed the World by Chris Wallace, Mitch Weiss. Keep in mind the author is a rare animal; a Fox reporter who is a Democrat. I read this book in seven days; from October 28 to November 3. It was a page turner, and of course it helped that I already knew the outlines of the story. The book gave a day by day, in some case hour recount of the events. My father told me that many casualties were saved. I of course might not be here if the "bomb" had not been dropped. Interwoven were some very human stories of professional jealousy and rivalry, of a Japanese family severely impacted and other stories.

While there is not much soaring writing, two quotes from key players are in order. The first is from Jacob Beser: "I have often been asked if I had any remorse for what we did in 1945.I assure you that I have no remorse whatsoever and I will never apologize for what we did to end World War II. Humane warfare is an oxymoron. War by definition is barbaric. To try and distinguish between an acceptable method of killing and an unacceptable method is ludicrous." Paul Tibbetts, the lead pilot on the Hiroshima strike said ""If wars are going to be fought, I believe the object is to win the war.You're going to win it with all resources at your disposal. And if you're fortunate enough to possess powerful weapons or weapons more powerful than those of your enemies, there's only one thing to do and that's to use them."

You'll have to read to get more. My opinions on this subject matter are to some extent on other threads and elsewhere. Just ask.

I just finished reading Countdown 1945: The Extraordinary Story of the 116 Days that Changed the World by Chris Wallace, Mitch Weiss. Keep in mind the author is a rare animal; a Fox reporter who is a Democrat. I read this book in seven days; from October 28 to November 3. It was a page turner, and of course it helped that I already knew the outlines of the story. The book gave a day by day, in some case hour recount of the events. My father told me that many casualties were saved. I of course might not be here if the "bomb" had not been dropped. Interwoven were some very human stories of professional jealousy and rivalry, of a Japanese family severely impacted and other stories.

While there is not much soaring writing, two quotes from key players are in order. The first is from Jacob Beser: "I have often been asked if I had any remorse for what we did in 1945.I assure you that I have no remorse whatsoever and I will never apologize for what we did to end World War II. Humane warfare is an oxymoron. War by definition is barbaric. To try and distinguish between an acceptable method of killing and an unacceptable method is ludicrous." Paul Tibbetts, the lead pilot on the Hiroshima strike said ""If wars are going to be fought, I believe the object is to win the war.You're going to win it with all resources at your disposal. And if you're fortunate enough to possess powerful weapons or weapons more powerful than those of your enemies, there's only one thing to do and that's to use them."

You'll have to read to get more. My opinions on this subject matter are to some extent on other threads and elsewhere. Just ask.
I have three Fyodor Dostoevsky books to read, Poor Folk, Crime and Punishment, and The Idiot.

Also I've Paul Bloom's book Against Empathy to get through as well.

Hoping to start reading them mid December, just been busy with work but I'm going to take a few months holiday. Reading those four books is on the to-do lists at when I'm off.

For thirteen years:

The Marxiification of Education: Paulo Freire's Critical Marxism and the Theft of Education. -James Lindsay
America's Cultural Revolution: How the Radical Left Conquered Everything - Christopher F. Rufo
Cynical Theories: How Activist Scholarship Made Everything about Race, Gender, and Identity -- and Why This Harms Everybody. -Helen Pluckrose, James A. Lindsay

And then for light entertainment:

The Eye of the World -Robert Jordan
The Great Hunt -Robert Jordan

I have three Fyodor Dostoevsky books to read, Poor Folk, Crime and Punishment, and The Idiot.

Also I've Paul Bloom's book Against Empathy to get through as well.

Hoping to start reading them mid December, just been busy with work but I'm going to take a few months holiday. Reading those four books is on the to-do lists at when I'm off.
I've been thinking of tackling

The Gulag Archipelago -Dostoevasky

I'm not sure, given the current world situation, that I'm up for that though.

Five Days at Memorial about the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina seen though the lenses of a single hospital. My wife got is and I have been reading it, unreal that such a thing could happen in America.

and A Better Life for Half the Price as part of my research for my wife and I's ex-pat adventure we will start in about 5.5 years.

For thirteen years:

Thank you. I'm relatively new here though I show as being older because I made a few posts years ago. How do we get the threads merged?

Today I ordered War in the Shadows, Volume 1 & 2 by Robert Asprey.

Should provide an insightful analysis of Hamas verses other guerilla insurgencies throughout history.

I was turned on to this book by a Youtube video on the IRA (Ireland) and if made me question why I have one perspective on the IRA (positive) and a different perspective on what we term today as terrorists...and what are the REAL dissimilarities between terrorist and freedom fighter apart from whom dictates history.

Of course one of the MAIN and incontrovertible differences is Hamas TARGETS civilians while the IRA actively avoided civilian casualties...even giving warnings to evacuate areas where bombings would occur. But was that conscience or public relations?

Anyhow...a 2500 year history of guerrilla warfare seemed a good place to start.

"In The Two-Parent Privilege, Melissa S. Kearney makes a provocative, data-driven case for marriage by showing how the institution’s decline has led to a host of economic woes—problems that have fractured American society and rendered vulnerable populations even more vulnerable. Eschewing the religious and values-based arguments that have long dominated this conversation, Kearney shows how the greatest impacts of marriage are, in fact, economic: when two adults marry, their economic and household lives improve, offering a host of benefits not only for the married adults but for their children."

I just finished reading
Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett. Gripping it is not. I suppose it is one of the better of the "theater of the absurd" that became popular in the wake of WWI. Other examples include Rhinocéros by Eugène Ionesco, of which I'll add a review shortly. Though not my favorite genre, both are classics. Rhinocéros at least had hilarious moments, which are few and far between in Godot. The genre teaches something specific about the era. Memorable from the book is the quote:
Samuel Beckett said:
It is true that when with folded arms we weigh the pros and cons we are no less a credit to our species. The tiger bounds to the help of his congeners without the least reflexion, or else he slinks away into the depths of the thickets. But that is not the question. What are we doing here, that is the question. And we are blessed in this, that we happen to know the answer. Yes, in this immense confusion one thing alone is clear.We are waiting for Godot to come.
Could the bolded be a ripoff from Shakespeare? Whether and how Godot comes I will leave to your eager eyes. Suffice to say I find more value in life as a human than does Beckett.

Forum List

Back