What are you reading?

I started Hermes: Guide of Souls by Karl Kerenyi. It was first published in 1944 from a lecture that he gave in 1943. He is really interesting all by himself. He did some work with Joseph Campbell. He was born in Hungary and had fled the Nazi academic machine to Switzerland and provided the lecture hoping they would keep him in.

This won't take too long to finish probably tonight. I'm going to start The First Clash: The miraculous Greek victory at Marathon and its impact on Western Civilization by James Lacey.

Excellent read.

I haven't finished The First Clash. I stopped to read something else and then I picked up The Road to Delphi by Michael Wood. I'm on chapter two and I'm thinking this is going to be about 265 pages of mental masturbation.

I finished First Clash. I should have started with that book because it filled in a whole lot of gaps in my mental time line. It was fast paced and it was real easy to get into. The Persians got their asses handed to them. This covers the events leading up to the Battle of Marathon. The Persians had never seen Greeks with that much organization. The “party” for the poor people was The Hills/ Hyperakroio and was represented by the noble family Pisistratidae. AND I figured out where Darius fits into all of this. This is actually a really informative book. I am starting to kind of visualize where all of these other civilizations and major cities were at during this time period. It's really cool.

I have started Greek Gods, Human Livres: What we can learn from myths by Mary Lefkowitz. Her goal is to to put the myths back into their time period rather than trying to make them fit into modern society.

I just started Smoke Signals for the Gods: Ancient Greek Sacrifice from the Archaic through Roman Periods by FS Naiden. I'm working through the first chapter which is going through all of the theories up till present about the "why" and the order of the ritual and whom it is the author agrees with. However, this book (reportedly) includes archaeological evidence and I'm really down with that.

Just finished The Terminal List by Jack Carr. I wanted to read it before I watched the show on Amazon.

Very good read, hard to put down, it's a revenge story.

I did notice there was no attempt by the author to hide his politics, all the antagonists are liberals and the protagonists are not.

Just finished The Terminal List by Jack Carr. I wanted to read it before I watched the show on Amazon.

Very good read, hard to put down, it's a revenge story.

I did notice there was no attempt by the author to hide his politics, all the antagonists are liberals and the protagonists are not.

You read the book before watching the show? That seems like a terrible idea. :p

INDIANAPOLIS: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year-Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man By Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic

1665451790350.png

This is a fantastic book. Don't let Robert Shaw's monologue in JAWS be the extent of what you know about the USS INDIANAPOLIS.

INDIANAPOLIS: The True Story of the Worst Sea Disaster in U.S. Naval History and the Fifty-Year-Fight to Exonerate an Innocent Man By Lynn Vincent and Sara Vladic

This is a fantastic book. Don't let Robert Shaw's monologue in JAWS be the extent of what you know about the USS INDIANAPOLIS.

That reminds me to re-read this one soon.

s-l640.jpg

Ambrose interviewed nearly every veteran who has been on any given teevee documentary you've seen on the invasion, in vastly more stirring detail.

That reminds me to re-read this one soon.

s-l640.jpg

Ambrose interviewed nearly every veteran who has been on any given teevee documentary you've seen on the invasion, in vastly more stirring detail.

Band of Brothers was a damn good read, I may have to try that one... ^

Just finished "Unlimited Access" An FBI Agent Inside the Clinton White House.

My Grandfather flew B-24's in Europe during WWII so I really enjoyed this one:
"The Wild Blue : The Men and Boys Who Flew the B-24s Over Germany 1944-45" Stephen Ambrose.
Use a larger font. Your post looks like a microfiche footnote.

Just began "Evicted: Poverty and Profit in the American City" by Matthew Desmond. It details the impact of what is now called the Great Recession (2008-2009). It sheds light on the ways in which housing insecurity affected tenants on the brink of eviction, as well as those who were indeed evicted. It ties housing crisis or the lack of access to safe housing with human suffering, which seems obvious, but how often does suffering feature in economic or policy analyses? These discourses are conducted in the language of rights and entitlements, and important as they are, they do not actually account for suffering. Refocusing these discourses to factor in human suffering could lead to a gentler, more humane form of capitalism and profiteering.

1665995035689.png

Absolutely heroic account of activists who not only work to prevent the murder of unborn children, but also rescue their remains from dumpsters and give them proper burials.

Forum List

Back