Well now.....A 45 second lecture destroying the global warming argument.

This isn't a machine that can break down Todd.

They did show an apparent decline in temperature after 1960. This was true for certain populations at high latitudes whose growth had been slowing, likely due to rising temperatures. This conflicted with thermometer data for the same period.

They wished for the proxy trend to align with the instrument trend.

That's what they did Todd.

They weren't dishonest and the people who assumed they were from the very beginning don't seem to care about the facts.

Clearly delineated with a legend.

Weird. It's almost like you think it matters.

Fooled by what?

Keep in mind that the change was well known among dendrochronologists long before this plot ever appeared.

right_top_shadow.gif
right_top_shadow.gif

Clearing up misconceptions regarding 'hide the decline'​

Link to this page

What the science says...​

Select a level...
level1.gif
Basic
Intermediate Advanced
The "decline" refers to a decline in northern tree-rings, not global temperature, and is openly discussed in papers and the IPCC reports.

Climate Myth...​

Scientists tried to 'hide the decline' in global temperature
'Perhaps the most infamous example of this comes from the "hide the decline" email. This email initially garnered widespread media attention, as well as significant disagreement over its implications. In our view, the email, as well as the contextual history behind it, appears to show several scientists eager to present a particular viewpoint-that anthropogenic emissions are largely responsible for global warming-even when the data showed something different.' (David Lungren)

There are a number of misconceptions concerning Phil Jones' email. These are easily cleared up when one takes the time to read Jones' words in context.

The "decline" is about northern tree-rings, not global temperature​

Phil Jones' email is often cited as evidence of an attempt to "hide the decline in global temperatures". This claim is patently false and shows ignorance of the science discussed. The decline actually refers to a decline in tree growth at certain high-latitude locations since 1960.
Tree-ring growth has been found to match well with temperature. Hence, tree-rings are used to plot temperature going back hundreds of years. However, tree-rings in some high-latitude locations diverge from modern instrumental temperature records after 1960. This is known as the "divergence problem". Consequently, tree-ring data in these high-latitude locations are not considered reliable after 1960 and should not be used to represent temperature in recent decades.

The "decline" has nothing to do with "Mike's trick".​

Phil Jones talks about "Mike's Nature trick" and "hide the decline" as two separate techniques. However, people often abbreviate the email, distilling it down to "Mike's trick to hide the decline". Professor Richard Muller from Berkeley commits this error in a public lecture:

Muller quotes "Mike's nature trick to hide the decline" as if its Phil Jones's actual words. However, the original text indicates otherwise:

It's clear that "Mike's Nature trick" is quite separate to Keith Briffa's "hide the decline". "Mike's Nature trick" refers to a technique (a "trick of the trade") by Michael Mann to plot recent instrumental data along with reconstructed past temperature. This places recent global warming trends in the context of temperature changes over longer time scales.
There is nothing secret about "Mike's trick". Both the instrumental and reconstructed temperature are clearly labelled. Claiming this is some sort of secret "trick" or confusing it with "hide the decline" displays either ignorance or a willingness to mislead.
Hockey Stick

Figure 1: Northern Hemisphere mean temperature anomaly in °C (Mann et al 1999).

The "decline" has been openly and publicly discussed since 1995​

Skeptics like to portray "the decline" as a phenomena that climate scientists have tried to keep secret. In reality the divergence problem has been publicly discussed in the peer-reviewed literature since 1995 (Jacoby 1995). The IPCC discuss the decline in tree-ring growth openly both in the 2001 Third Assessment Report and in even more detail in the 2007 Fourth Assessment Report.
The common misconception that scientists tried to hide a decline in global temperatures is false. The decline in tree-ring growth is plainly discussed in the publicly available scientific literature. The divergence in tree-ring growth does not change the fact that we are currently observing many lines of evidence for global warming. The obsessive focus on a misquote taken out of context, doesn't change the scientific case that human-caused climate change is real.

This conflicted with thermometer data for the same period.

Yes, it stopped working.

They wished for the proxy trend to align with the instrument trend.

In the meantime, they hid the decline.

That's what they did Todd.

Before, during or after they hid the decline?

They weren't dishonest

Mixing proxy data with instrument data because the proxy data chart looked bad......that's dishonest.

Clearly delineated with a legend

Clearly dishonest.

Weird. It's almost like you think it matters.

Lying scientists getting caught in a lie matters.

Fooled by what?

Fooled by the lying chart.

Keep in mind that the change was well known among dendrochronologists long before this plot ever appeared.

So, they were only fooling the public. Good to know.

Phil Jones' email is often cited as evidence of an attempt to "hide the decline in global temperatures".

Nope. It was to hide the decline of the tree ring data. You can't scream it's getting hotter, using temperature readings, and then publish proxy data that shows, incorrectly, that the temperature is declining.

People might start to question the accuracy of older proxy data, eh? Your error bars might get bigger.

This conflicted with thermometer data for the same period.
I've had enough of this Todd. I'm tired of playing your game. I assume you've read the two different explanations of what was actually done and why. Those explain everything that needs explaining. If you still think that this was dishonest and/or that this serves to refute AGW in any manner at all, that's your problem.

I've had enough of this Todd. I'm tired of playing your game. I assume you've read the two different explanations of what was actually done and why. Those explain everything that needs explaining. If you still think that this was dishonest and/or that this serves to refute AGW in any manner at all, that's your problem.

Nobel Prize winner Michael Mann would never do anything dishonest.

Nobel Prize winner Michael Mann would never do anything dishonest.
He probably told his young children there was a Santa Claus and his wife that he wasn't looking at the woman at the next table. But he has not been dishonest about AGW, unlike Spencer, Lindzen, Bailunas, Eastman, Pielke Sr, etc.

Climategate is climategate for lying. Period

one in which Kevin Trenberth said, "The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t".[2

It was.
Crick , I'm sure this is your favorite spot to go to.

Still waiting for Michael Mann to show his data as ordered by the courts.

Crick , I'm sure this is your favorite spot to go to.

Still waiting for Michael Mann to show his data as ordered by the courts.
Still waiting for you to identify a single lie revealed by the more than 1,000 emails and 3,000 other documents stolen from the CRU email server.

I can't help but think that if it was all a hoax, as you'd all like to believe, that with that much stuff you would have found a great deal more clear evidence. Instead, everything you think you've got requires deliberate and demonstrable misinterpretation.

Last edited:
Still waiting for you to identify a single lie revealed by the more than 1,000 emails and 3,000 other documents stolen from the CRU email server.

I can't help but think that if it was all a hoax, as you'd all like to believe, that with that much stuff you would have found a great deal more clear evidence. Instead, everything you think you've got requires deliberate and demonstrable misinterpretation.
here it is again since you ignored it the first time:

one in which Kevin Trenberth said, "The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t".[2

here it is again since you ignored it the first time:

Let's save some time. You are claiming that Trenberth is lying here? Where do you see a lie?

Explain it like I just arrived from Mars.

Sadly, not an effective argument because the people that need to hear it would rather believe that the banks and realtors are lying to them instead of the media, climate change weenies, and politicians lying to them.

It's a older vid but I've never heard or read of a rebuttal to it either. ;)

He stated they're lying about global warming and exposed in this comment. Sure, liars.
He did not say anyone was lying about global warming.

Read it again.

"The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t"

Might be a good time to think about context.

his statement says that. No warming!!!!
Treberth said "...can't account for the lack of warming...". This was a pre-Tom-Karl statement made in reference to the 'Hiatus'. Remember that? Remember Tom Karl? I guess not.

So, sorry, but he was not lying. Do you have another one?

Treberth said "...can't account for the lack of warming...". This was a pre-Tom-Karl statement made in reference to the 'Hiatus'. Remember that? Remember Tom Karl? I guess not.

So, sorry, but he was not lying. Do you have another one?
lack of warming based on a lie that there was warming. That's a very odd statement to make. And to say it's a travesty? hahaahahahaahaahaha meaning how can we keep lying when other people can see there's no warming and we can't fund green projects, right? LOL. The shit you buy into. His own admission is opposite of IPCC.

lack of warming based on a lie that there was warming. That's a very odd statement to make. And to say it's a travesty? hahaahahahaahaahaha meaning how can we keep lying when other people can see there's no warming and we can't fund green projects, right? LOL. The shit you buy into. His own admission is opposite of IPCC.
Trenberth never said anything remotely approaching "...based on a lie that there was warming". That is YOU saying that and you have NO EVIDENCE supporting such a conjecture.

Look up "The Hiatus" and NASA scientist Tom Karl.

Trenberth never said anything remotely approaching "...based on a lie that there was warming". That is YOU saying that and you have NO EVIDENCE supporting such a conjecture.

Look up "The Hiatus" and NASA scientist Tom Karl.
his statement says global warming is a lie. Sorry chawey All that added CO2 didn't cause more warming. Zippola

Forum List

Back