We need a NEW symbol of Southern Pride

Why does the South need a separate symbol? Are they trying to secede again?
The South wants a distinguishing symbol. They are clinging to an old, racist flag, mainly for non-racist reasons. Everybody wants to ban that flag. Fine. Give the South a replacement. Nobody is seceding.

The South wants a distinguishing symbol. They are clinging to an old, racist flag, mainly for non-racist reasons. Everybody wants to ban that flag. Fine. Give the South a replacement. Nobody is seceding.

I can't think of any symbol of "Northern pride."

Sorry, we're all Americans. I don't want to ban the flag, but I'm not a fan of what it's coming to represent now.

Sorry, we're all Americans. I don't want to ban the flag, but I'm not a fan of what it's coming to represent now.
What is it representing?

It's no surprise that there is no real need for any expression of Northern Pride because Hollywood and media have not been portraying the entire population of Northerners as uneducated, racist, backward bumpkins for generations. If there were to be a similar campaign of merciless shitting on New England, I am sure New Englanders would want a distinguishing identity too.

I am simply opening a discussion on how we all may help both sides find harmony.

What is it representing?

It's no surprise that there is no real need for any expression of Northern Pride because Hollywood and media have not been portraying the entire population of Northerners as uneducated, racist, backward bumpkins for generations. If there were to be a similar campaign of merciless shitting on New England, I am sure New Englanders would want a distinguishing identity too.

I am simply opening a discussion on how we all may help both sides find harmony.

I, just today, used the same argument about why there needed to be a Black Pride movement. And you make a good point.

TNHarley , come read this!

Oh, and to answer your question, the Confederate flag it is coming to represent white pride and white supremacy. I seem to see it more often in conjunction with the Nazi flag, which offends my sensibilities much more.

Oh, and to answer your question, the Confederate flag it is coming to represent white pride and white supremacy. I seem to see it more often in conjunction with the Nazi flag, which offends my sensibilities much more.
It offends me too. I prefer to let those useless bigoted filth-bags have it and get a new one.

....or....get the the LBGTQ community to drop the rainbow flag and use the battle flag/nazi flag. Let them both become symbols of being fabulous. :laugh:

Would those insecure racist assholes still wave the stars and bars? :rofl:

It offends me too. I prefer to let those useless bigoted filth-bags have it and get a new one.

....or....get the the LBGTQ community to drop the rainbow flag and use the battle flag/nazi flag. Let them both become symbols of being fabulous. :laugh:

Would those insecure racist assholes still wave the stars and bars? :rofl:

Would a rainbow swastika be too gauche?

What is it representing?

I, just today, used the same argument about why there needed to be a Black Pride movement. And you make a good point.

The confederate flag is a flag of heritage to some. Not all people that fought for the south were racist assholes. Some fought for states rights. Hek, my state was in the Union to begin with. Then Lincoln lost his mind and started jailing people, his thugs killed raped and robbed and other things.
Even if they were racist assholes, they are still peoples family members. I know of no one that wants a new symbol. The flag is their lineage. You can't just pick a new one. Its not a football team.
Mostly, in my experience, the only people that look at the flag in that way are actual supremacists and people that have no idea what they are talking about.
People can have ten flags if they want. However, there is only one American flag

What is it representing?

The confederate flag is a flag of heritage to some. Not all people that fought for the south were racist assholes. Some fought for states rights. Hek, my state was in the Union to begin with. Then Lincoln lost his mind and started jailing people, his thugs killed raped and robbed and other things.
Even if they were racist assholes, they are still peoples family members. I know of no one that wants a new symbol. The flag is their lineage. You can't just pick a new one. Its not a football team.
Mostly, in my experience, the only people that look at the flag in that way are actual supremacists and people that have no idea what they are talking about.
People can have ten flags if they want. However, there is only one American flag

But why do you need a symbol of Southern heritage and pride?

Aren't we all Americans? Northerners have no such symbol.

A flag is a piece of cloth for cripes sake and it all depends what its used for. Most people Ive talked to use it as a symbol of history. Remember that thing were not suppose to forget? Did you know there is a Cascadia flag and if I see the gay pride flag one more time I might hurl.
Flags are only as obnoxious and offensive as the people waving them. The only exception is the nazi symbol which is always offensive.

The only exception is the nazi symbol which is always offensive.

What else don't they like this week? Cowboys? Muskets? Crosses on Military Graves? Mt. Rushmore? Buffalo Bill? Alamo? Go thru the Smithsonian and start pulling out offensive items they don't like. Garbage cans, shredder, fire up that incinerator. Here come the judge.

What about the ISIS flag? They probably are OK with that one as they also want death to America.

Last edited:

What is it representing?

But why do you need a symbol of Southern heritage and pride?

Aren't we all Americans? Northerners have no such symbol.
Its a symbol of their lineage.
Of course, this is only in my experience. So results will vary.

Since far more southerners have fought for this country under the banner of the American flag than the Confederate flag,

why don't you people just use the former?

Use the symbol of the Whole to celebrate a Part of that Whole?

That does not work.

Obviously.

Since far more southerners have fought for this country under the banner of the American flag than the Confederate flag,

That's the next step. We need to mend the bonds with our neighbors first. Let's take down the harmful symbols and put up new ones that build some common allegiance in the South first.

The bonds were mended long before we were born.

13841r.jpg

By attacking the South, you are working to tear US apart.

That does not work.

Obviously.

Well, you can see which part of the 'whole' the Confederate flag is on in this picture.

89f205efac85f3139e918605c0770ad8--civil-war-art-total-war.jpg

That does not work.

Obviously.

Well, you can see which part of the 'whole' the Confederate flag is on in this picture.

89f205efac85f3139e918605c0770ad8--civil-war-art-total-war.jpg

So, you missed that last 150 years of history?

Because they do. Why are you threatened by it?

Because those who have co-opted that symbol (white supremacists) literally threaten me and mine.

If you're not part of that, I'm sorry that your flag has been hijacked.

You are supporting the attempt of those fringe haters to co-opt a symbol of regional pride.

YOu are working with them, right now.

You want to marginalize any Southern White who feels any regional pride, and so do the white supremacists.

Both of you want them OUT of the political mainstream.

Both of you want to tear this nation apart.

I reject that.

The Civil War was long ago. The wounds are long and well healed over.

Part of that was accepting, even supporting and joining in, the South's celebration of their regional pride and heritage.

You are tearing this nation apart.

Forum List

Back