We could lose 20% of small businesses.

A lot of restaurants in my area are doing a great job at adapting. Many still do pick ups, and others have started to deliver. The other day I went to a local bar and grille to pick up food, and they were so packed that I had to wait about 30 minutes to receive my food, and it was already finished cooking.
But nobody is going and they have bills to pay.
And many have lost what makes up 20-30% of their revenue: liquor sales!

Our grandparents are looking down on us from heaven and laughing their arses off.

Those measures were put into place because there was hoarding.

There was also an active black market at the time. WWII was the best thing that ever happened to Organized Crime, because after the beating it took in the 1930's when prohibition ended, it got a whole new lease on the black market and the government turning a blind eye to its activities.
Actually prohibition was the best thing for organized crime because it gave organized crime it's very life. Maybe WWII gave it a second wind though. Likevtge war on drugs gubberment is always creating problems it can't solve and biting off more than it should and can't chew. The simple message is prohibition of any kind for anything will simply never ever work. The only effective way to kill a black market is to flood it because it's entirely dependent on the natural law of supply and demand. Low to no demand equates to no money so it naturally dies of starvation.

Our grandparents are looking down on us from heaven and laughing their arses off.

Those measures were put into place because there was hoarding.

There was also an active black market at the time. WWII was the best thing that ever happened to Organized Crime, because after the beating it took in the 1930's when prohibition ended, it got a whole new lease on the black market and the government turning a blind eye to its activities.
Actually prohibition was the best thing for organized crime because it gave organized crime it's very life. Maybe WWII gave it a second wind though. Likevtge war on drugs gubberment is always creating problems it can't solve and biting off more than it should and can't chew. The simple message is prohibition of any kind for anything will simply never ever work. The only effective way to kill a black market is to flood it because it's entirely dependent on the natural law of supply and demand. Low to no demand equates to no money so it naturally dies of starvation.

And not just organized crime!

Do you shop at Walgreen's Pharmacy?

The 19th amendment had a loophole, that allowed doctors to prescribe alcohol....and it would be filled at Walgreens.
"This 75 Billion Dollar Business Was Built Selling Whiskey During Prohibition…Legally
By 1919, he had around 20 stores. But once Prohibition came into effect, business took off. By 1929, Walgreens had well over 525 outlets. "

As they say..."It's an ill wind....."

Big businesses isn’t going to do much better. There’s a few industries the politicians chose to support but the vast majority of big business is screwed and no one except a few companies can go 90 days with 20% of their income. Total disaster.

Nice try but it does not wash

mayors and county commissioners in democrat controlled districts are issuing the orders to close businesses

yes, they are acting on the information given them by health professionals from international down to the local hospital

but the elected officials at state and local area have the final decision

Which wasn't the point. If your business was SO Marginal that being limited in operations for a few weeks is going to shut you down, then frankly, why should the rest of us bail you out? This is the argument you guys always make when it's working folks losing their jobs or some poor girl who gets knocked up and needs a welfare check.

Fuck them.

Actually prohibition was the best thing for organized crime because it gave organized crime it's very life.

That's what I said. Please go back and read what I said.

Maybe WWII gave it a second wind though.

You missed the point. Prohibition ended in 1934. IN the seven years in between, the government was able to crack down on organized crime pretty effectively. Al Capone went to jail. Lucky Luciano was deported, A lot of these other mutts went to jail. Then along came WWII, and created whole new lines of business for them. Black markets, prostitution for the millions of men conscripted into the military, etc.

If you aren't talking about the topic you don't belong here

It's debatable that i'll exist as a sm biz at all ,if shutdown until May

So again, we are having a Darwinian event, failed companies are being eliminated and the worthy companies are surviving. This is the argument you guys make whenever we talk about spotted owls or snail darters.

why do i suddenly feel like a gnat in a sh*tstorm?

~S~

Nice try but it does not wash

mayors and county commissioners in democrat controlled districts are issuing the orders to close businesses

yes, they are acting on the information given them by health professionals from international down to the local hospital

but the elected officials at state and local area have the final decision

Which wasn't the point. If your business was SO Marginal that being limited in operations for a few weeks is going to shut you down, then frankly, why should the rest of us bail you out? This is the argument you guys always make when it's working folks losing their jobs or some poor girl who gets knocked up and needs a welfare check.

Fuck them.
Many new businesses will fail without being artificially failed by government

Some people fail several times before luck and learning from their mistakes finally pay off

but if the business was alive before the commie virus found us it has a right to its fair chance

the girl you are so bitter over had her chance by not screwing some guy who cant or wont take care of her

she knew what could happen but chose to ignore it

Some people fail several times before luck and learning from their mistakes finally pay off

but if the business was alive before the commie virus found us it has a right to its fair chance

"Commie Virus"? Viruses of the World Unite, throw off the shackles of antibiotics!

Point is, you guys are all for a "Dog eat Dog" world, up until the point you are the Dog that is about to be eaten.

Point is, you guys are all for a "Dog eat Dog" world, up until the point you are the Dog that is about to be eaten.
THAT is the most relevant 'free market' quote to ever meet ascii Joe

and so perhaps you see, we're all riding that gleaming edge of the double sided bureaucratic sword of 'regulated capitalism' lest it fall from libertopian dreams into anarchic nightmares
3dmx0e.jpg

~S~

Last edited:

"Commie Virus"? Viruses of the World Unite, throw off the shackles of antibiotics!

Dog eat dog is your term not mine

we do believe in a competitive but fair market

you want workers to make more money for their labor but at the same time you want cheap junk from china

But you cant have it both ways

you want workers to make more money for their labor but at the same time you want cheap junk from china

Where the cheap junk is made is kind of irrelevant to the discussion. We lost far more jobs to automation and process improvement than outsources. Most of what you consume is still made here.

So working folks get a little pittance of $1500 and big companies get a huge bailout after they already got big tax breaks in the Trump Giveaway.

Kind of like what they did in 2008, where all the working folks got kind of screwed.

Where the cheap junk is made is kind of irrelevant to the discussion. We lost far more jobs to automation and process improvement than outsources. Most of what you consume is still made here.

So working folks get a little pittance of $1500 and big companies get a huge bailout after they already got big tax breaks in the Trump Giveaway.

Kind of like what they did in 2008, where all the working folks got kind of screwed.

thats globalist bullshit

the millions of jobs that moved to china are being filled by humans not robots

thats globalist bullshit

I work in manufacturing... You have no idea what you are talking about.

In fact we are in a global economy, we all kind of depend on each other. Trump's trade war has killed American Manufacturing because supplies of components were disrupted. Then the virus hit and kicked in the whole rotten edifice.

thats globalist bullshit

In fact we are in a global economy, we all kind of depend on each other. Trump's trade war has killed American Manufacturing because supplies of components were disrupted. Then the virus hit and kicked in the whole rotten edifice.
I dont care if you claim to be Henry Ford himself

The manufacturing jobs in America were moved to china and filled by chinese not by robots

thats globalist bullshit

Then the virus hit and kicked in the whole rotten edifice.

the chinese virus revealed - at least to some people - that relying on a brutal communist dictatorship to make all the stuff we needed to survive is stupid and short sighted

Forum List

Back