We are experiencing the biggest scandal in America's political history right now.

If the DOJ told me that the documents were classified. I'd ask them how it is that they knew that to be the case? I'd ask them how it was that they KNEW that Trump hadn't declassified them! Being "unaware" of them being declassified doesn't even come close to meeting the level of proof that would be neccessary to get that warrant!
The obstruction is the charge, gang. Classification or not is immaterial. Trump lied, denied, and then defied. He got caught,

There is no legal necessity to exhaust all other avenues other than a search warrant? If I were the judge you were asking for a search warrant to raid a former President's home with an FBI Swat team I would tell you very directly that you'd best have exhausted all other avenues before you came to me with such a request and if I felt that you hadn't? I would tell you to come back when you had! This wasn't a request to raid a suspected crack house...this was a request to raid the HOME of a former President of the United States! The level of proof you would have to give me to sign off on a search warrant...especially one as broad as that request was for...would have to be off the charts!
No, there is no legal necessity to exhaust all other avenues, but I'm sure we are all very interested in what you "would have done" and how you seem to think the constitution applies differently to someone just because they're a former president.

BUt if you insist, the DoJ did get a subpoena which Trump lied about complying with. So yes they went through other avenues before the search warrant and those other avenues failed.

If the DOJ told me that the documents were classified. I'd ask them how it is that they knew that to be the case? I'd ask them how it was that they KNEW that Trump hadn't declassified them! Being "unaware" of them being declassified doesn't even come close to meeting the level of proof that would be neccessary to get that warrant!
They knew the documents were classified because the documents had classified printed all over them. Documents that are declassified have this annotated on the classification markings.

The document is classified until proven otherwise.

They knew the documents were classified because the documents had classified printed all over them. Documents that are declassified have this annotated on the classification markings.

If I were the judge being asked for that search warrant I would have asked one rather simple question of the Garland DOJ and that question would be this: "Did you ask Trump if he declassified those documents?"

And the markings on the documents only mean that they were classified at one point...my question to the DOJ would be how do you know that they weren't subsequently declassified?

If I were the judge being asked for that search warrant I would have asked one rather simple question of the Garland DOJ and that question would be this: "Did you ask Trump if he declassified those documents?"
It’s irrelevant. Probably cause was already established.

I can’t imagine why the DoJ would have thought to ask such an absurd question.

And the markings on the documents only mean that they were classified at one point...my question to the DOJ would be how do you know that they weren't subsequently declassified?
When documents are declassified, their markings are updated to reflect the fact that they’re declassified.

It’s irrelevant. Probably cause was already established.

I can’t imagine why the DoJ would have thought to ask such an absurd question.
Quite frankly, I can't understand why they WOULDN'T have asked that question! Other than if Trump had answered that he HAD declassified those documents then they wouldn't have had an excuse to raid his home!

If I'm an FBI agent and I see a box of documents that are marked "Classified" then I'm going to ask if they are indeed classified and if so should they be stored some place more secure? That's what you would do if you actually CARED about protecting sensitive documents! Of course this is the same DOJ that when it was found out that Joe Biden had classified documents that he'd stolen as a Senator allowed Biden's lawyers to conduct a search to see if there were more documents!

Quite frankly, I can't understand why they WOULDN'T have asked that question!
Because no one has ever heard of the president declassifying hundreds of documents without telling anyone.

Its so absurd it wouldn’t have even occurred to them.

The DoJ would have to see them before they can figure out if they were declassified and the biggest problem the DoJ faced was Trump’s attempt to hide them from the DoJ.

When documents are declassified, their markings are updated to reflect the fact that they’re declassified.
You know damn well that isn't happening with documents that a President has in his possession, Marener! You need to claim that though because your case is so weak! It might happen when those documents are no longer in his possession but it's ludicrous to claim that someone rushes in and stamps documents as a President declassifies them!

Because no one has ever heard of the president declassifying hundreds of documents without telling anyone.

Its so absurd it wouldn’t have even occurred to them.

The DoJ would have to see them before they can figure out if they were declassified and the biggest problem the DoJ faced was Trump’s attempt to hide them from the DoJ.
You think Trump is the first President to declassify documents without telling anyone? What do you base that allegation on? Your need to justify what the DOJ did?

You know damn well that isn't happening with documents that a President has in his possession, Marener! You need to claim that though because your case is so weak! It might happen when those documents are no longer in his possession but it's ludicrous to claim that someone rushes in and stamps documents as a President declassifies them!
Yes, they would update the markings because it’s important for everyone to know what is and isn’t classified.

You think Trump is the first President to declassify documents without telling anyone? What do you base that allegation on? Your need to justify what the DOJ did?
Of course I think that. It makes absolutely no sense for a president to declassify documents in secret. Why wouldn’t they tell someone? It’s the whole point of declassifying them.

And who would be doing that with papers that Trump had taken and had in his possession? Who is the mysterious "they" that you refer to?
It would be whomever is responsible for managing the documents, national security staff, military staff, intelligence community staff.

Forum List

Back