Walmart Versus U.S Economy: A Success Story

They also have a name for not paying slip-and-fall claims. That earns them a powerful enemy in the plaintiff's bar.

I wonder if that isn't where most of the bullshit you read about them comes from.

It's not just slip and fall claims. On all legal matters, they do a cost-benefit analysis. On paying a lot of their bills on time too, which hurts their vendors. They're Wal Mart, what are you going to do, turn down their business when they don't pay?

I don't like Wal-Mart, but not because of the usual leftist diatribes againt them. They're parking lots are too crowded, the stores are too big and too unkempt, the line are too long...

I enjoyed it more when Sam Walton was alive, but since he died, the stores just seemed to go down in my estimation.

Other than that, they provide quality products at good prices.

Yes, nothing is quite Utopian there. ( that would be a government job :lol: ) I do find that our Walmart is a great place although. I do make a point of going early in the morning, to avoid crowds. Their workers are cheerful and happy, having laughter with one another. That always makes me feel good. Walmart employs many ppl that would otherwise be unemployable, also. I think the quality of a specific store depends upon the attitudes of management. When I ask the employees if they like their job, they say they do and that they are just happy to have one. :) Another positive about our Walmart, is their food/snack department is a Subway. *Woo*

Pick up a foot long BMT with lettuce, tomato and olives for me. I'll play a nice song for you.

Don't forget in a lot of rural areas they've driven the competition out of business with the artificially low prices they mysteriously raise once they're the only game in town. I hate Wal Mart, it's horrible to shop there. One day a cahsier even reached out and slapped my son for nothing, being a then three year old and reaching out and touching the bags. :eek:

I have a huge laundry list of complaints about Wal Mart, believe me. And all related to the shopping "experience" there. But when you're in an area where other than grocery items the choices are Wal Mart or drive an hour....let's just say the drive doesn't happen that often.

All right, vent over! :lol:

A Wal Mart worker SLAPPED YOUR KID? Did you slap her back? I sure hope so!
What did you do?

Reported her, tried my damndest to get her fired. It didn't work. And having worked at corporate HQ however briefly, I knew that particular tape was already shredded. Not much else I could do without the evidence.

I don't like Wal-Mart, but not because of the usual leftist diatribes againt them. They're parking lots are too crowded, the stores are too big and too unkempt, the line are too long...

I enjoyed it more when Sam Walton was alive, but since he died, the stores just seemed to go down in my estimation.

Yes, nothing is quite Utopian there. ( that would be a government job :lol: ) I do find that our Walmart is a great place although. I do make a point of going early in the morning, to avoid crowds. Their workers are cheerful and happy, having laughter with one another. That always makes me feel good. Walmart employs many ppl that would otherwise be unemployable, also. I think the quality of a specific store depends upon the attitudes of management. When I ask the employees if they like their job, they say they do and that they are just happy to have one. :) Another positive about our Walmart, is their food/snack department is a Subway. *Woo*

Pick up a foot long BMT with lettuce, tomato and olives for me. I'll play a nice song for you.

OMG, that's my fave, too. BMT. I add other veggies on it though. And they are only $5.00 now. That program must have brought them in some business, and they can hire another employee or two to pick up the slack while giving residents another reason the shop there.

Don't forget in a lot of rural areas they've driven the competition out of business with the artificially low prices they mysteriously raise once they're the only game in town. I hate Wal Mart, it's horrible to shop there. One day a cahsier even reached out and slapped my son for nothing, being a then three year old and reaching out and touching the bags. :eek:

I have a huge laundry list of complaints about Wal Mart, believe me. And all related to the shopping "experience" there. But when you're in an area where other than grocery items the choices are Wal Mart or drive an hour....let's just say the drive doesn't happen that often.

All right, vent over! :lol:

What did you do?

Reported her, tried my damndest to get her fired. It didn't work. And having worked at corporate HQ however briefly, I knew that particular tape was already shredded. Not much else I could do without the evidence.

But, but, it's WAL MART! According to some, they are the perfect company that should be the model of all that is good and right with the world!

Geez Freaking Lousie, so a worker at WalMart can hit your kids, but they don't do anything about it. Lovely! :cuckoo:

Thats sounds like a bit of shading of the truth there.

We have the same policy at our stores. But in an emergency of course you can use the emergency exits.

It's a safety thing, as well as a LP thing.

But it's not shading the truth. Their complaint here is what I'll highlight:

Some workers reported that managers had threatened to fire them if they ever used the fire exit to leave the building. Instead, they were supposed to wait for a manager to unlock doors to allow employees to escape in an emergency.

That part is the inexcusable part, but the language used by the NYT in the rest of the quote makes it seem like simply locking the doors and not allowing people to enter or leave without a member of management, outside of an emergency, is a bad thing. It's not.

I have found that Wally World stores cleanliness employee behaviour, etc most often reflect the area they are located in.

That part is the inexcusable part, but the language used by the NYT in the rest of the quote makes it seem like simply locking the doors and not allowing people to enter or leave without a member of management, outside of an emergency, is a bad thing. It's not.

If you look at it that way, I see what you mean. Taking the two apart like I did would of probably been better.

LuckyDan, Sam was a great and humble guy. I knew him and some of his relatives. He would drive through town in an older pick-up with a broom sticking out of it in the back..lol. Mayberry USA??? Great and very frugal man who waved at anybody.

If you look at it that way, I see what you mean. Taking the two apart like I did would of probably been better.

Yeah,

And outside of an emergency, if someone used the fire exits to leave one of our buildings we would probably write them up the first time, and fire them the second time.

LuckyDan, Sam was a great and humble guy. I knew him and some of his relatives. He would drive through town in an older pick-up with a broom sticking out of it in the back..lol. Mayberry USA??? Great and very frugal man who waved at anybody.

I've heard good things about him too. It's too bad his employees get away with slapping the customers children, I doubt he'd be too happy to hear about that. Of course he's dead, but you'd think his children wouldn't put up with it either. Pity.

What did you do?

But, but, it's WAL MART! According to some, they are the perfect company that should be the model of all that is good and right with the world!

Geez Freaking Lousie, so a worker at WalMart can hit your kids, but they don't do anything about it. Lovely! :cuckoo:

That's not even my worst Wal Mart story. :lol:

When I had the twins I was living in Arkansas. And about a week before I had them I had to run to Wal Mart for something or other. I asked for one of those ride on carts, since I was actually supposed to be on bed rest. The guy told me they were for people who need them and wouldn't let me have one. I didn't make a huge issue of it. But as I was walking through the store some guy driving a cherry picker putting up signs backed up and ran right into me as I was sandwiched in between a couple of people standing there talking. Then he started yelling all kinds of four-letter words at me for not getting out of his way. I went to the front and asked for the manager, and guess who showed up?

The guy who did it of course.

As far as I'm concerned, Wal Mart can rot. :D

OMG, that's my fave, too. BMT. I add other veggies on it though. And they are only $5.00 now. That program must have brought them in some business, and they can hire another employee or two to pick up the slack while giving residents another reason the shop there.

And if they don't give you enopugh veggies, just tell them to slap another tomato slice on there.

When I had the twins I was living in Arkansas. And about a week before I had them I had to run to Wal Mart for something or other. I asked for one of those ride on carts, since I was actually supposed to be on bed rest. The guy told me they were for people who need them and wouldn't let me have one. I didn't make a huge issue of it. But as I was walking through the store some guy driving a cherry picker putting up signs backed up and ran right into me as I was sandwiched in between a couple of people standing there talking. Then he started yelling all kinds of four-letter words at me for not getting out of his way. I went to the front and asked for the manager, and guess who showed up?

Hell woman---you were in Arkansas--what did you expect ? :lol:

I've heard good things about him too. It's too bad his employees get away with slapping the customers children, I doubt he'd be too happy to hear about that. Of course he's dead, but you'd think his children wouldn't put up with it either. Pity.

The Waltons are actually decent people for the most part, but it's just too big and they don't have enough say over the day to day operations. It's the people they hire as management that are the big problem.

Hey, he had teeth and everything!

And if they don't give you enopugh veggies, just tell them to slap another tomato slice on there.

BMT's are my fav too. I call em Bowell Movement Torpedoes, they will keep ya regular.

Went into a new (less than two years old) WalMart when I was on vacation.

Sucker was HUGE. And very, very, very clean. Extra wide aisles and great LED lighting in the food coolers.

Hey, he had teeth and everything!
2 Questions:

Why were you shopping when you were pregnate with twins & on bed rest???

Why would you continue to shop there after being treated like that?

His family wouldn't tolerate it. I am sure that employee is living under a bridge somewhere and rightfully so. There ARE bad employees working anywhere, don't we all know. They are stressed and they act out and they get fired. Customer service is something successful businesses are built on.

Forum List

Back