Waiting For The New Purchase To Arrive.

Nice guns, very nice. I was really into black powder shooting back in the 90's. Up north of Crescent City, California, near the Oregon state line, is a really nice shooting range where they hold a rendesvous twice a year. Everybody shows up in clothing from the 1800's and they sleep in period tents, and they shoot and party for three days. The coolest thing I ever saw there was an original (not a replica) Whitworth Confederate sniper rifle with 4x scope. Here's a link that explains the innovative design of the Whitworth. Whitworth Rifle
It was deadly in the hands of Civil War snipers. There are many stories in Confederate Veteran of kills at a mile or more. Exaggerated maybe, but the fact that it was deadly at long range is no fable.
Did Civ War for almost 20 years, started out "cornfed" and ended up "wellfed"....... Last CS Unit was the 27th VA, Stonewall Brigade, the last US unit was the 4th US Regulars. As a cornfed (Before I joined the Stonewall Brigade) I commanded a regiment, as a wellfed I was the Quartermaster Sergent, got tired of standing in ranks.......
From there I was talked into doing the dark side and started doing WWII, 2nd Gebirgsjager (Wehrmacht), No more standing in battle lines blazing away at one another.

Nice guns, very nice. I was really into black powder shooting back in the 90's. Up north of Crescent City, California, near the Oregon state line, is a really nice shooting range where they hold a rendesvous twice a year. Everybody shows up in clothing from the 1800's and they sleep in period tents, and they shoot and party for three days. The coolest thing I ever saw there was an original (not a replica) Whitworth Confederate sniper rifle with 4x scope. Here's a link that explains the innovative design of the Whitworth. Whitworth Rifle
It was deadly in the hands of Civil War snipers. There are many stories in Confederate Veteran of kills at a mile or more. Exaggerated maybe, but the fact that it was deadly at long range is no fable.
At the battle of Spotsylvania Court House Major General John Sedgwick was killed by a Confederate Sniper using a Whitsworth rifle at about a distance of 550 yards. This is the longest known sniper kill during the civil War and basically the sniper "got lucky". Sedgewick was admonishing his me for dodging lead bees:

The verbatim report made by General McMahon, who was at Sedgwick's side at his untimely death:
I gave the necessary order to move the troops to the right, and as they rose to execute the movement the enemy opened a sprinkling fire, partly from sharp-shooters. As the bullets whistled by, some of the men dodged. The general said laughingly, "What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." A few seconds after, a man who had been separated from his regiment passed directly in front of the general, and at the same moment a sharp-shooter's bullet passed with a long shrill whistle very close, and the soldier, who was then just in front of the general, dodged to the ground. The general touched him gently with his foot, and said, "Why, my man, I am ashamed of you, dodging that way," and repeated the remark, "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." The man rose and saluted and said good-naturedly, "General, I dodged a shell once, and if I hadn't, it would have taken my head off. I believe in dodging. "The general laughed and replied, "All right, my man; go to your place."

For a third time the same shrill whistle, closing with a dull, heavy stroke, interrupted our talk; when, as I was about to resume, the general's face turned slowly to me, the blood spurting from his left cheek under the eye in a steady stream. He fell in my direction ; I was so close to him that my effort to support him failed, and I fell with him.

Right. That's one article you found on the Internet. I've read it. If you want to dig a little beyond that, you can get the entire 40-year run of Confederate Veteran magazine on CD now, for cheap. Not only is it a great reference source of information on weapons of the Civil War, but there are many anecdotal stories of snipers and the long-range kills they accumulated (there are over 11,000 soldier's articles and letters in the index).

At the battle of Spotsylvania Court House Major General John Sedgwick was killed by a Confederate Sniper using a Whitsworth rifle at about a distance of 550 yards. This is the longest known sniper kill during the civil War and basically the sniper "got lucky". Sedgewick was admonishing his me for dodging lead bees:

The verbatim report made by General McMahon, who was at Sedgwick's side at his untimely death:
I gave the necessary order to move the troops to the right, and as they rose to execute the movement the enemy opened a sprinkling fire, partly from sharp-shooters. As the bullets whistled by, some of the men dodged. The general said laughingly, "What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." A few seconds after, a man who had been separated from his regiment passed directly in front of the general, and at the same moment a sharp-shooter's bullet passed with a long shrill whistle very close, and the soldier, who was then just in front of the general, dodged to the ground. The general touched him gently with his foot, and said, "Why, my man, I am ashamed of you, dodging that way," and repeated the remark, "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." The man rose and saluted and said good-naturedly, "General, I dodged a shell once, and if I hadn't, it would have taken my head off. I believe in dodging. "The general laughed and replied, "All right, my man; go to your place."

For a third time the same shrill whistle, closing with a dull, heavy stroke, interrupted our talk; when, as I was about to resume, the general's face turned slowly to me, the blood spurting from his left cheek under the eye in a steady stream. He fell in my direction ; I was so close to him that my effort to support him failed, and I fell with him.

Right. That's one article you found on the Internet. I've read it. If you want to dig a little beyond that, you can get the entire 40-year run of Confederate Veteran magazine on CD now, for cheap. Not only is it a great reference source of information on weapons of the Civil War, but there are many anecdotal stories of snipers and the long-range kills they accumulated (there are over 11,000 soldier's articles and letters in the index).
The one I referenced, concerning Sedgwick it the only "confirmed" long range kill. The problem with anecdotal storys is the source, many were known to "embellish".........
I have a copy (not original) of McMahons report in my library, that's where I got it from.

Last edited:

I once had more than 200 Civil War books. I was bitten by the bug. The American Civil War is the most fascinating event I've ever studied in my life. It gets all-consuming though. I started collecting Civil War paper ephemera (soldier's letters mainly) back when they were still relatively cheap. I was living in Atlanta then, so there were many others around who suffered the same addiction.

Over the years I spent my weekends visiting dozens of significant Civil War sites in Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee. I visited many Confederate cemeteries and smaller burial sites as well. Nearly all the headstones look like this one at the Marietta Confederate Cemetery where 3000 soldiers are buried. That's one of the unfortunate aspects of the Civil War. So much of the Confederate army's history vanished forever without a record and without a name on its gravestone. All these young boys just vanished from existence as if they were never here. Sad.

unknown confederate soldier.jpg

Last edited:

I once had more than 200 Civil War books. I was bitten by the bug. The American Civil War is the most fascinating event I've ever studied in my life. It gets all-consuming though. I started collecting Civil War paper ephemera (soldier's letters mainly) back when they were still relatively cheap. I was living in Atlanta then, so there were many others around who suffered the same addiction.

Over the years I spent my weekends visiting dozens of significant Civil War sites in Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee. I visited many Confederate cemeteries and smaller burial sites as well. Nearly all the headstones look like this one at the Marietta Confederate Cemetery where 3000 soldiers are buried. That's one of the unfortunate aspects of the Civil War. So much of the Confederate army's history vanished forever without a record and without a name on its gravestone. All these young boys just vanished from existence as if they were never here. Sad.

View attachment 32171
Got rid of much of my Civil War Library when I moved onto WWII, now that I live out west my focus is the 1830s though the late 1870s, early 1880s so guess what my reading matter consists of....... :D

You can get the conversion cylinders much cheaper and I didn't know they still made shoulder stocks for the Colts, thought they stopped making them at least a decade ago. Thanks!
As for historical accuracy most never converted their cap and balls and most continued to carry them up to the 1880s, Colt cartridge revolvers were expensive even back then besides Winchester rifles and shot guns were the preferred weapons in the old west.

Shame the stock costs more than the gun!

Doesn't mean I'm not getting one though...so I suppose it is not outrageous.

Cabela's also has a reasonably priced holster ($25) I'm looking to pick up...after I see how well it is constructed.

The Cabela's in K.C. has them in stock, just have to get by there.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Trip...lvers/741217.uts?WT.tsrc=CRR&WT.mc_id=crrdtfd
Triple K Leather Holster for Army Navy Colt Style Blackpowder Revolvers Cabela s

You can get the conversion cylinders much cheaper and I didn't know they still made shoulder stocks for the Colts, thought they stopped making them at least a decade ago. Thanks!
As for historical accuracy most never converted their cap and balls and most continued to carry them up to the 1880s, Colt cartridge revolvers were expensive even back then besides Winchester rifles and shot guns were the preferred weapons in the old west.

Shame the stock costs more than the gun!

Doesn't mean I'm not getting one though...so I suppose it is not outrageous.

Cabela's also has a reasonably priced holster ($25) I'm looking to pick up...after I see how well it is constructed.

The Cabela's in K.C. has them in stock, just have to get by there.
Triple K Leather Holster for Army Navy Colt Style Blackpowder Revolvers Cabela s
The holster is too modern for my need, the least expensive period holster I've found so far is about $50 and there are custom rigs that can be had for just under $500......... I figure a proper period holster and simple wide (heavy duty) period belt will cost me about $100. The three most expensive items for doing living history are generally weapons, footwear and "coats". I indicated coats in parentheses because of the multiple choices on has from frocks to sack coats to leather coats/plains indian shirts, vaquero jackets, etc., between $150 to $500. Proper shirt, trousers and vests ain't cheap either......
Typically a good period hat will set ya back anywhere from $30 for a simple wool felt to $350 for a 10x beaver felt.
The problem with doing multiple time periods is one needs multiple everything, what people used, carried and wore during and after the Civil War wasn't around in the 1820s, 30s and 40s. Matter of fact if you're doing anything pre 1835 almost every firearm available out west was flintlock, after 1840 most firearms were percussion. You can use the older stuff for some of the later time periods but obviously not the other way around.
Yup, it's an expensive hobby...... A basic period "costume" will set ya back around $400 to $500, a well put together outfit will cost about $1000, all of this not including firearms and period personal items, research, etc. I have thousands of dollars invested over the last two and a half decades that I've been doing this. If you do educational presentations/programs, etc some of it is tax deductible so it does help defray some of the cost the rest is deducted at the standard "hobby" rate.
Like any hobby ya have to love it to be willing to sink that much time and money into it.

The Colt arrived Thursday, I was out of town so I picked it up off the back porch on Friday. Absolutely gorgeous workmanship and one thing I missed when I ordered it it has a fluted cylinder as opposed to the standard full cylinder, good for post Civil War.

mizqiQdot55yNy_sYMUS0DQ.jpg

Replacement cylinders run around $100 shipped so if i want a Civil War correct Colt I'll have to order one...... Probably not...... :D
Have a holster on the way, found one on ebay (post Civil War correct) for $55. Now all I need is a good belt and buckle, looking at a Civ War period russet belt with a Texas star spoon buckle, trying to decide on silver nickle or brass.

The Colt arrived Thursday, I was out of town so I picked it up off the back porch on Friday. Absolutely gorgeous workmanship and one thing I missed when I ordered it it has a fluted cylinder as opposed to the standard full cylinder, good for post Civil War.

Replacement cylinders run around $100 shipped so if i want a Civil War correct Colt I'll have to order one...... Probably not...... :D
Have a holster on the way, found one on ebay (post Civil War correct) for $55. Now all I need is a good belt and buckle, looking at a Civ War period russet belt with a Texas star spoon buckle, trying to decide on silver nickle or brass.

Cabela's has a replacement cylinder for $54.

1860 Army Revolver .44-Caliber Spare Cylinder Cabela s

Ordered a new Pietta 1860 Colt Army, should be here this week.

RH0705.JPG

Next month I'm seriously considering a replica (Uberti) 1866 Winchester Yellow Boy chambered in 44-40.

1866-yellowboy-carbine-rifle.png

And I'm sorta considering a 1760 Tulle Fusil de Chasse. It's a kit from Track of the Wolf, the French voyager gun which was used extensively up through the Rev War. One of the precursors to our Kentucky/Pennsylvania long rifle.

french-tulle-fusil-de-chasse-42-parts-list_1.jpg

And finally I might pick up a 1858 Remington Revolving Carbine (Uberti made reproduction).

remington%20revolving.jpg

I bought a Uberti 1873 3-4 months ago in .357 mag. It is fun as hell to shoot. We enjoy the heck out of it.

RH0705.JPG

Next month I'm seriously considering a replica (Uberti) 1866 Winchester Yellow Boy chambered in 44-40.

And I'm sorta considering a 1760 Tulle Fusil de Chasse. It's a kit from Track of the Wolf, the French voyager gun which was used extensively up through the Rev War. One of the precursors to our Kentucky/Pennsylvania long rifle.

And finally I might pick up a 1858 Remington Revolving Carbine (Uberti made reproduction).

Clinger :funnyface:

Cabela's has a replacement cylinder for $54.

1860 Army Revolver .44-Caliber Spare Cylinder Cabela s
Did some research, the fluted cylinders were made in very limited number pre-Civil War and designated as a cavalry model though it apparently many had a lot of issues with the cylinders blowing out due to the thinness of the metal. Colt replaced the ones returned with the standard Army (full) cylinders.
Pretty sure with our modern metallurgy and stringent testing requirements there won't be any such problems with the current reproductions.
Heck it's that way with modern musket, the barrels are made thicker than the originals, often much thicker sometimes adding up to a pound per musket.

RH0705.JPG

Interesting choices. Obviously you are a collector, they are works of art.
Combination collector and living historian, currently focusing on the American western period from the 1830s through the 1880s.
Then might like my Ruger Vaquero Birdshead... 45 LC... same pistol Doc Holiday carried in the movie Tombstone, except a different finish with buffalo horn grips.

RH0705.JPG

Interesting choices. Obviously you are a collector, they are works of art.
Combination collector and living historian, currently focusing on the American western period from the 1830s through the 1880s.
Then might like my Ruger Vaquero Birdshead... 45 LC... same pistol Doc Holiday carried in the movie Tombstone, except a different finish with buffalo horn grips.

Those are works of art right there.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Pretty much decided on the Tulle as my next purchase but they only come in kits unless one wants to buy a cheap premade, non authentic reproduction Asian Indian (Curry) gun. No thanks, the workmanship is questionable and the stock is teak, the metal is highly polished and I'd be afraid to fire a live round out of it.

Here's what a Tulle is supposed to look like;

It was the preeminent French trade/voyager musket in the new world up through the French and Indian War, it was also used during the Rev War by some American Ranger units. It's a 20 gage smoothbore though I could get it in .54 or .58 cal rifled for another $20.

RH0705.JPG

My oldest son has one that belonged to his great, great, great, grandfather.

Still has the original leather CSA holster, and the old guy's picture is still on the wall of the family home.

Forum List

Back