Some Old-School Black Powder Shooting

/——/ Speaking of the Kubelwagon, I was at an Air museum with a WWII section. They had a VW Thing painted as a Kubelwagon. The curator acted as if I exposed them in a huge scandal.

Always liked those "things" They had the machinegun mount on the deck too. For shits just went on ebay, $5K to $25, upper ones are way nice.

That's not all his, the pistols are all his but the rest are either unit member owned or (mostly) our commander owned. Brian, our commander and founder of the feast was a Full Bird fighter jockey in command of a fighter wing and a commercial pilot. He had a private hanger full with WW I, WW II and Civil War uniforms, equipment, etc including a German Ford 1 1/2 ton truck and a reproduction Kubelwagon. We had trouble finding a place for his Cessna........
Aside from the multitude of K-98s he had maybe 10 G 33-40s, 10-12 mp 39/40s (full auto), a Czech ZB 30 (full auto), 2 working (full auto) MG 42s, 1 (for parts) MG 42, 2 solid receiver MG 42s for display, 2 MG 34s (full auto), 1 MG 34 display, a PPS 43 (full auto) and I forget what else. That was just his WW II weapons collection.

Damn I'm drooling!!!! Even over the Cessna, soloed a 150 back a bit.

The machine guns. Some people freak but why? When I was an 07ffl class2 sot I built myself a nice Polish PMKMS underfolder, full auto of course. Go to the range and people mouth dragging the gravel "wanna shoot it?" and hand them a 30 rounder. Hell 7.62x39 was $100/1000 then.

When they still had Hiram Maxim MG shoots in Maine, went every year. What a collection of autos and a 3" they opened with. Guy would drill a 55 drum at 100 yards every time. Ahhhh the MG, Mg42 especially. Love em, just buzz they fire so fast. Was called "hitlers chainsaw" or something like that? I have heard it said the sound made GI's go in the fetal position, I can believe that and prob would myself if it was pointed my way!

Those are one of the most beautiful pieces of battlefield weaponry the Germans ever made. Aren't their current MG's based on those still?

Those are one of the most beautiful pieces of battlefield weaponry the Germans ever made. Aren't their current MG's based on those still?

I'm not sure but why not. Was ahead of it's time. Awesome machine.

You checked out the Maxim history? Intrigues me, not just because I lived 8 mi from his home 11 years but his genius. Like John Moses, damn!

I'm not sure but why not. Was ahead of it's time. Awesome machine.

You checked out the Maxim history? Intrigues me, not just because I lived 8 mi from his home 11 years but his genius. Like John Moses, damn!

Browning was the man. One of the best pistols I ever owned was a Hi Power.

That's not all his, the pistols are all his but the rest are either unit member owned or (mostly) our commander owned. Brian, our commander and founder of the feast was a Full Bird fighter jockey in command of a fighter wing and a commercial pilot. He had a private hanger full with WW I, WW II and Civil War uniforms, equipment, etc including a German Ford 1 1/2 ton truck and a reproduction Kubelwagon. We had trouble finding a place for his Cessna........
Aside from the multitude of K-98s he had maybe 10 G 33-40s, 10-12 mp 39/40s (full auto), a Czech ZB 30 (full auto), 2 working (full auto) MG 42s, 1 (for parts) MG 42, 2 solid receiver MG 42s for display, 2 MG 34s (full auto), 1 MG 34 display, a PPS 43 (full auto) and I forget what else. That was just his WW II weapons collection.

The machine guns. Some people freak but why? When I was an 07ffl class2 sot I built myself a nice Polish PMKMS underfolder, full auto of course. Go to the range and people mouth dragging the gravel "wanna shoot it?" and hand them a 30 rounder. Hell 7.62x39 was $100/1000 then.

When they still had Hiram Maxim MG shoots in Maine, went every year. What a collection of autos and a 3" they opened with. Guy would drill a 55 drum at 100 yards every time. Ahhhh the MG, Mg42 especially. Love em, just buzz they fire so fast. Was called "hitlers chainsaw" or something like that? I have heard it said the sound made GI's go in the fetal position, I can believe that and prob would myself if it was pointed my way!
They called the 42 "Hitler's Zipper", 1200 rounds per minute but they did tend to jam occasionally. Most of the Whermacht vets I talked to preferred the 34, slower rate of fire but it never jammed.
There were also 4 PPSHs each owned by individual members and 3 Stumgewehrs (StG 44s) again each owned by individual unit members.
I have to find my DVDs loaded with pictures, they're packed away somewhere.

Yup. Even our M60 was based on it. The Brits copied the Czech ZB 30 with their Bren Gun.

Browning was the man. One of the best pistols I ever owned was a Hi Power.

Yes he was and I had one too! So many designs. Ever read about Ed Topperwien shooting gold dollars with a BAR on the beach? Awesome story, Moses was there watching. Firing single taps blowing coins out the air.

They called the 42 "Hitler's Zipper", 1200 rounds per minute but they did tend to jam occasionally. Most of the Whermacht vets I talked to preferred the 34, slower rate of fire but it never jammed.
There were also 4 PPSHs each owned by individual members and 3 Stumgewehrs (StG 44s) again each owned by individual unit members.

Zipper, seems I remember another.

They always had 34's and 42's at Hiram. I live in KY now, need to do Knob Creek!

Oh yeah loved the PPSH too. Gave up my licenses and sot too soon, Was in the middle of a Sten, had to cut it up.

Zipper, seems I remember another.

They always had 34's and 42's at Hiram. I live in KY now, need to do Knob Creek!

Oh yeah loved the PPSH too. Gave up my licenses and sot too soon, Was in the middle of a Sten, had to cut it up.
Oh yeah, I forgot. It was also called Hitler's buzzsaw.

Forum List

Back