On Magazine Capacity...from Massad Ayoob...

2aguy

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2014
This is a good article from Massad Ayoob on "necessary hypocrisy' and in the article he discusses how much ammo is enough...

Ayoob s Law Of Necessary Hypocrisy The Daily Caller

The saying among those who study the history of gunfighting is absolutely true: “I’ve never met a gunfight survivor who wished he’d had a less powerful gun or less immediately-available ammunition.”

As I write this I’m wearing a so-called “high capacity” 9mm pistol and spare magazine, and a backup J-frame S&W with 5 rounds of .38 +P and Speed Strip with 5 more. (It’s not hard with some thought, some ingenuity, and of course, habituation.) An adult lifetime of studying gunfights has taught me that with round count, “it is better to have and not need, than to need and not have.”

Still, I recognize that my much younger self with the 5-shot Chief Special and no spare ammo was a heckuva lot safer than someone who had no gun at all, as that younger self learned on a dark and icy night by a dark and icy river in New England in 1971.

I think, all things being equal, more ammo is better. But I know some people who have criticized my choice of an M1911 because each magazine only holds 8 rounds. I would never choose my sidearm based on capacity alone, as some seem to do.

I still like revolvers...I just cannot get past the fact that I simply do not trust any semiautomatic pistol not designed by John Browning.

This is a good article from Massad Ayoob on "necessary hypocrisy' and in the article he discusses how much ammo is enough...

The saying among those who study the history of gunfighting is absolutely true: “I’ve never met a gunfight survivor who wished he’d had a less powerful gun or less immediately-available ammunition.”

As I write this I’m wearing a so-called “high capacity” 9mm pistol and spare magazine, and a backup J-frame S&W with 5 rounds of .38 +P and Speed Strip with 5 more. (It’s not hard with some thought, some ingenuity, and of course, habituation.) An adult lifetime of studying gunfights has taught me that with round count, “it is better to have and not need, than to need and not have.”

Still, I recognize that my much younger self with the 5-shot Chief Special and no spare ammo was a heckuva lot safer than someone who had no gun at all, as that younger self learned on a dark and icy night by a dark and icy river in New England in 1971.

I was a guest lecturer (laws of self defense ) for Ayoob's LFI many years ago. The man knows his subject

I still like revolvers...I just cannot get past the fact that I simply do not trust any semiautomatic pistol not designed by John Browning.

I'm a big fan of wheelguns myself.

I am a fairly accomplished Steel and USPSA shooter and shoot stuff like CZ Chechmate (open) and Shadows (Production) in competition by I will often carry a J-Frame. Then ago 30 yard ago I was a 600 level PPC shooter with a K frame so I am pretty comfortable shooting a revolver and reloading it quickly under stress

I was a guest lecturer (laws of self defense ) for Ayoob's LFI many years ago. The man knows his subject

I've been reading his articles for a few decades. I started my gun magazine reading on the likes of Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton.

I've been reading his articles for a few decades. I started my gun magazine reading on the likes of Elmer Keith, Jeff Cooper, Bill Jordan and Skeeter Skelton.

"The Art of the Rifle" is at the top of my to be read list.

It is on my list as well. I admire Col. Cooper, but his habit of talking about himself in the 3rd person was annoying.

The only functional semi auto pistols I own are a Ruger .22 and a Springfield M1911. And the .22 is not one of my favorite guns.

One of the reasons I love revolvers is the flexibility of ammo. Lower powered rounds, shot shells, and often different calibers are all fair game. My most common camping pistol is a Ruger Super Blackhawk. I have the first chamber loaded with .44 Special shot shell, and the other 5 loaded with .44 magnums.

I love revolvers and own several. But for concealed carry I want something a little more comfortable to carry and high capacity. Any conflict will be a high stress situation. I want to make sure I have what I need if a couple of adrenaline shots go astray (not wild, just a little off so as not to effect a fatal blow). Also, my revolvers just do not carry well. I have to carry them on my hip. However, I prefer to conceal because a lot of people freak out if you walk in with a gun strapped to your hip.

For what it is worth, I carry a Glock 17 3G in an inside the WB holster and backup with a KelTec p32 with a 10 round ext mag carried in my pants pocket.

I think, all things being equal, more ammo is better. But I know some people who have criticized my choice of an M1911 because each magazine only holds 8 rounds. I would never choose my sidearm based on capacity alone, as some seem to do.

There's a police Sgt. somewhere in America, I forget the city or state, who carries 147 rounds on him every day on patrol.

He is/was his department's shooting instructor or something as well as doing street patrol I guess. Anyway, one day he made a simple traffic stop when things turned bad and boy did they!

However, he did survive and he said the biggest thing he learned from that gunfight was he needed to carry more ammo!

And I think he was carrying a .45 or a .357.

The only time you have "too much" ammunition is if you're on fire...or swimming.

badgrin.gif

There's a police Sgt. somewhere in America, I forget the city or state, who carries 147 rounds on him every day on patrol.

He is/was his department's shooting instructor or something as well as doing street patrol I guess. Anyway, one day he made a simple traffic stop when things turned bad and boy did they!

However, he did survive and he said the biggest thing he learned from that gunfight was he needed to carry more ammo!

And I think he was carrying a .45 or a .357.

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

Before the call that changed Sergeant Timothy Gramins’ life forever, he typically carried 47 rounds of handgun ammunition on his person while on duty

Before the call that changed Sergeant Timothy Gramins’ life forever, he typically carried 47 rounds of handgun ammunition on his person while on duty.

Today, he carries 145, “every day, without fail.”

He detailed the gunfight that caused the difference in a gripping presentation at the annual conference of the Assn. of SWAT Personnel-Wisconsin.

At the core of his desperate firefight was a murderous attacker who simply would not go down, even though he was shot 14 times with .45-cal. ammunition — six of those hits in supposedly fatal locations.

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job

Needs something with more steam than a .45, then. (Think: hot-loaded .44 Magnum at the LOW end of the spectrum!)

But the rule of thumb is to carry the biggest caliber you can shoot well.

Maybe the .44 Magnum was too much gun for him.

Nothing to be ashamed of.

Consider the sage wisdom of Dirty Harry...

Last edited:
Needs something with more steam than a .45, then. (Think: hot-loaded .44 Magnum at the LOW end of the spectrum!)

But the rule of thumb is to carry the biggest caliber you can shoot well.

Maybe the .44 Magnum was too much gun for him.

Nothing to be ashamed of.

Consider the sage wisdom of Dirty Harry...

I'm pretty sure 16 rounds of .45 will get the job done. I mean whats not to like about a big round and lots of em?

Forum List

Back