Waiting For The New Purchase To Arrive.

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
Ordered a new Pietta 1860 Colt Army, should be here this week.

RH0705.JPG

Next month I'm seriously considering a replica (Uberti) 1866 Winchester Yellow Boy chambered in 44-40.

1866-yellowboy-carbine-rifle.png

And I'm sorta considering a 1760 Tulle Fusil de Chasse. It's a kit from Track of the Wolf, the French voyager gun which was used extensively up through the Rev War. One of the precursors to our Kentucky/Pennsylvania long rifle.

french-tulle-fusil-de-chasse-42-parts-list_1.jpg

And finally I might pick up a 1858 Remington Revolving Carbine (Uberti made reproduction).

remington%20revolving.jpg

You can get the conversion cylinders much cheaper and I didn't know they still made shoulder stocks for the Colts, thought they stopped making them at least a decade ago. Thanks!
As for historical accuracy most never converted their cap and balls and most continued to carry them up to the 1880s, Colt cartridge revolvers were expensive even back then besides Winchester rifles and shot guns were the preferred weapons in the old west.

RH0705.JPG

Next month I'm seriously considering a replica (Uberti) 1866 Winchester Yellow Boy chambered in 44-40.

And I'm sorta considering a 1760 Tulle Fusil de Chasse. It's a kit from Track of the Wolf, the French voyager gun which was used extensively up through the Rev War. One of the precursors to our Kentucky/Pennsylvania long rifle.

And finally I might pick up a 1858 Remington Revolving Carbine (Uberti made reproduction).

Interesting choices. Obviously you are a collector, they are works of art.

RH0705.JPG

Interesting choices. Obviously you are a collector, they are works of art.
Combination collector and living historian, currently focusing on the American western period from the 1830s through the 1880s.

The waiting sucks. But the anticipation builds. The 1860 should be a really fun gun to shoot.

BTW did you get your 58 Remington loading lever fixed?
Not yet, just found a gunsmith down here in Podunk on Friday. I'll bring it in next week.

Thanks for the reminder.

Nice guns, very nice. I was really into black powder shooting back in the 90's. Up north of Crescent City, California, near the Oregon state line, is a really nice shooting range where they hold a rendesvous twice a year. Everybody shows up in clothing from the 1800's and they sleep in period tents, and they shoot and party for three days. The coolest thing I ever saw there was an original (not a replica) Whitworth Confederate sniper rifle with 4x scope. Here's a link that explains the innovative design of the Whitworth. Whitworth Rifle
It was deadly in the hands of Civil War snipers. There are many stories in Confederate Veteran of kills at a mile or more. Exaggerated maybe, but the fact that it was deadly at long range is no fable.

Last edited:
Nice guns, very nice. I was really into black powder shooting back in the 90's. Up north of Crescent City, California, near the Oregon state line, is a really nice shooting range where they hold a rendesvous twice a year. Everybody shows up in clothing from the 1800's and they sleep in period tents, and they shoot and party for three days. The coolest thing I ever saw there was an original (not a replica) Whitworth Confederate sniper rifle with 4x scope. Here's a link that explains the innovative design of the Whitworth. Whitworth Rifle
It was deadly in the hands of Civil War snipers. There are many stories of kills at a mile or more.

Same here. I used to do Civil War reinactments with my brother. Was lots of fun.

It was deadly in the hands of Civil War snipers. There are many stories in Confederate Veteran of kills at a mile or more. Exaggerated maybe, but the fact that it was deadly at long range is no fable.
At the battle of Spotsylvania Court House Major General John Sedgwick was killed by a Confederate Sniper using a Whitsworth rifle at about a distance of 550 yards. This is the longest known sniper kill during the civil War and basically the sniper "got lucky". Sedgewick was admonishing his me for dodging lead bees:

The verbatim report made by General McMahon, who was at Sedgwick's side at his untimely death:
I gave the necessary order to move the troops to the right, and as they rose to execute the movement the enemy opened a sprinkling fire, partly from sharp-shooters. As the bullets whistled by, some of the men dodged. The general said laughingly, "What! what! men, dodging this way for single bullets! What will you do when they open fire along the whole line? I am ashamed of you. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." A few seconds after, a man who had been separated from his regiment passed directly in front of the general, and at the same moment a sharp-shooter's bullet passed with a long shrill whistle very close, and the soldier, who was then just in front of the general, dodged to the ground. The general touched him gently with his foot, and said, "Why, my man, I am ashamed of you, dodging that way," and repeated the remark, "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." The man rose and saluted and said good-naturedly, "General, I dodged a shell once, and if I hadn't, it would have taken my head off. I believe in dodging. "The general laughed and replied, "All right, my man; go to your place."

For a third time the same shrill whistle, closing with a dull, heavy stroke, interrupted our talk; when, as I was about to resume, the general's face turned slowly to me, the blood spurting from his left cheek under the eye in a steady stream. He fell in my direction ; I was so close to him that my effort to support him failed, and I fell with him.

Forum List

Back