VOX: "Obamacare’s individual mandate is unpopular. But it’s crucial to making Obamacare work"

Sure it is. When they made auto insurance mandatory, premiums skyrocketed.

Not really.

Also, the only car insurance that is "mandetory" is liability insurance, which is really pretty cheap if you own the car outright and don't buy replacement insurance.

The reality is, car insurance is expensive because if you are paying off the car, the bank insists you insure it for full replacement value.

Most of what people refer to as "health insurance" isn't insurance at all. Group insurance is the core problem with health care in the US today.

No, the problem is that we treat health care like a commodity instead of a public service. That someone is getting rich on the schemes to provide access to that commodity is just an aggravating factor.

Health insurance isn't like auto insurance.

Most of what people refer to as "health insurance" isn't insurance at all. Group insurance is the core problem with health care in the US today.

More corporate leverage.

It's funny how those who see government as "leveling" don't get that they are the ones who not only facilitate this, but protect it as well.

It baffles me that people who don't have the balls to stand up to corporations, who have no power over them, demand that we subjugate ourselves to the state.

We can vote out the government. That's the difference.

That's a joke.

First, corporations own much of the government. You keep making reference to some kind of fairy.....but you have your own. It's called the "government is really going to take care of our health care but leave us alone otherwise" fairy and she has never existed.

Second, the market does take care of the poor performers when Obama isn't there bailing them out.

Health insurance isn't like auto insurance.

More corporate leverage.

It's funny how those who see government as "leveling" don't get that they are the ones who not only facilitate this, but protect it as well.

Of course the do, they set it up in the first place. Corporate employers and government have overlapping interests when it comes to controlling employees.

The lure of the regulatory state is that it can alleviate the burden of decision making. I think some people, even after they're all grown up, long for the carefree days of childhood, when adults made all the important decisions for them.

Last edited:
They passed Obamacare and got voted out.

What part of that does not sink in ?

and then the people who replaced them admitted they didn't have a better idea.

Whoops.

First, corporations own much of the government. You keep making reference to some kind of fairy.....but you have your own. It's called the "government is really going to take care of our health care but leave us alone otherwise" fairy and she has never existed.

Except- again- rest of the world does it that way and it works just fine. So that fairy is called "The UK and Canada and Japan and Germany and France and Italy" so that's an awful lot of fairies.

Second, the market does take care of the poor performers when Obama isn't there bailing them out.

Well, depends what you call a "poor performer". If you call a "poor performer" as a company that doesnt' make assholes filthy rich, then yeah, that's a poor performer.

My thought on a poor performer was a system that left 49 people uninsured and 25 million people with inadequate insurance.

The lure of the regulatory state is that can alleviate the burden of decision making. I think some people, even after they're all grown up, long for the carefree days of childhood, where adults made all the important decisions for them.

Funny, I think Libertarians are the kids who never wanted to eat their peas or come in when it got dark out, because, rules are oppressing me, man.

But hey, I don't think anyone decides to be cheated by big insurance. But it seems to happen all the time.

The lure of the regulatory state is that can alleviate the burden of decision making. I think some people, even after they're all grown up, long for the carefree days of childhood, where adults made all the important decisions for them.

Funny, I think Libertarians are the kids who never wanted to eat their peas or come in when it got dark out, because, rules are oppressing me, man.

Nah, it's just that we grew up. You should try it. Being responsible for yourself, while not always easy, is much more fulfilling than living as a "ward of the state".

But hey, I don't think anyone decides to be cheated by big insurance. But it seems to happen all the time.

Yeah, we've talked about this. Repeatedly. If people are getting ripped off by insurance companies, we should prosecute the guilty parties. Libertarians are on your side on that issue. But that's not really what you're talking about, is it?

Nah, it's just that we grew up. You should try it. Being responsible for yourself, while not always easy, is much more fulfilling than living as a "ward of the state".

Again, libertarian children never 'grew up'.

Yeah, we've talked about this. Repeatedly. If people are getting ripped off by insurance companies, we should prosecute the guilty parties. Libertarians are on your side on that issue. But that's not really what you're talking about, is it?

Um, yeah, it is. Rest of the world has figured this out. Single Payer. Universal coverage. Cost less, gets better results.

the thing is, the insurance companies have armies of lawyers and the rest of us have... well, we're just shit out of luck, aren't we?

Except- again- rest of the world does it that way and it works just fine. So that fairy is called "The UK and Canada and Japan and Germany and France and Italy" so that's an awful lot of fairies.

Sorry, but those fairies don't exist there either.....because in the end it works no better than our system.

the thing is, the insurance companies have armies of lawyers and the rest of us have... well, we're just shit out of luck, aren't we?

And this is the punch line: you think government will protect you FROM armies of lawyers. Government IS armies of lawyers.

Sorry, but those fairies don't exist there either.....because in the end it works no better than our system.

They spend less, live longer and less of their babies die.

Yeah, that's better in most parts of the world.

"They is who" ?

As already shown, there are parts of our system that, considered by themselves, are better than anywhere else.

So, no it's not.

My guess is that he is talking about the legal fleecing that goes on by insurance companies.

You know....legal....as in someone (like the government) allows this happen and won't pass laws to stop it or allow it to be prosecuted.

Forum List

Back