VOX: "Obamacare’s individual mandate is unpopular. But it’s crucial to making Obamacare work"

Obamacare’s individual mandate, the new target in the GOP tax plan, explained

So.....the product doesn't work unless people are forced to buy the product?

The OBAMACARE mandate is a tax on Americans who can’t afford insurance. “This is a moral outrage, and the public agrees: 66% of Americans oppose the mandate, according to a 2017 YouGov poll.”
/----/ Great News:

Senate Republicans have approved the repeal of ObamaCare’s individual mandate as part of their tax-cut bill, a major step toward ending an unpopular part of the health-care law.

“Families ought to be able to make decisions about what they want to buy and what works for them — not the government,” Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) said, hailing the accomplishment.

“I believe if people don’t want to buy the ObamaCare insurance, they shouldn’t have to pay a tax penalty to the IRS.”

I think they tell us what we want to hear.

and that's part of the problem, we don't have the tough conversations- how much we want to pay in taxes to get the benefits we require.

Benefits we require ????

How about how much we don't want to pay in taxes and we'll take care of our own benefit.

How about...stop propping up the insurance industry and make medicare more painful to use (for those who can afford the extra pain...and ween the rising generation off of it) so that prices drop.....like they have for medical procedures that are bought on the open market ?

Oh yeah.....I forgot.

1. The Koch Brothers tell me everything I think I know.

2. Hate radio fills in what the Koch's miss.

3. All (or most) politicians listen to their constitutents.

4. Our health care system is awful....just awful

5. Everyone in Canada loves their health care system.....

6. Everyone in the U.K. loves their health care system.....

7. All the metrics work against the U.S. because nobody skews the statistics.

8. Citing statistics is racist.

9. And you know everything.....

What a stupid idea...a huge chunk of Amerocans were not insured, yet medical costs and insurance premiums still skyrocketed. If fewer people get medical care prices will go UP.

You dispute that things like LASIK have come down in price.

wouldn't a proper analysis look at medical costs across the board, instead of cherry picking one procedure?

Those championing this idea were wrong.

Which was all of them, really. Until President Blackenstein ate their lunch, and then they were suddenly all against it.

But, I tend to agree with you.

I certainly didn't hear all, or even a sizeable minority, of Republicans advocating a mandate.. But it doesn't matter. It was the Democrats who actually passed ACA and they'll stay on my shitlist for that reason.

Sure it is. When they made auto insurance mandatory, premiums skyrocketed.

Not really.

Also, the only car insurance that is "mandetory" is liability insurance, which is really pretty cheap if you own the car outright and don't buy replacement insurance.

The reality is, car insurance is expensive because if you are paying off the car, the bank insists you insure it for full replacement value.
Bullshit. Liability insurance premiums skyrocketed.

Do you realize liability insurance may have skyrocketed in your state and not another? Different rules for each state.

Which was all of them, really. Until President Blackenstein ate their lunch, and then they were suddenly all against it.

I certainly didn't hear all, or even a sizeable minority, of Republicans advocating a mandate.. But it doesn't matter. It was the Democrats who actually passed ACA and they'll stay on my shitlist for that reason.

Yes, back in Newt's day he called for an individual mandate and so did Romney after the first year in Massachusetts.

Obamacare’s individual mandate, the new target in the GOP tax plan, explained

So.....the product doesn't work unless people are forced to buy the product?

The OBAMACARE mandate is a tax on Americans who can’t afford insurance. “This is a moral outrage, and the public agrees: 66% of Americans oppose the mandate, according to a 2017 YouGov poll.”
/----/ Great News:

Senate Republicans have approved the repeal of ObamaCare’s individual mandate as part of their tax-cut bill, a major step toward ending an unpopular part of the health-care law.

“Families ought to be able to make decisions about what they want to buy and what works for them — not the government,” Sen. John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) said, hailing the accomplishment.

“I believe if people don’t want to buy the ObamaCare insurance, they shouldn’t have to pay a tax penalty to the IRS.”

It was not in the house version, even if they both get together the mandate ain't going anywhere until 2019.

Yes, back in Newt's day he called for an individual mandate and so did Romney after the first year in Massachusetts.

That's two. But like I said, it's irrelevant. I have no use for Republicans, but they didn't saddle us with ACA. The Democrats did.

I think they tell us what we want to hear.

and that's part of the problem, we don't have the tough conversations- how much we want to pay in taxes to get the benefits we require.

Benefits we require ????

How about how much we don't want to pay in taxes and we'll take care of our own benefit.

How about...stop propping up the insurance industry and make medicare more painful to use (for those who can afford the extra pain...and ween the rising generation off of it) so that prices drop.....like they have for medical procedures that are bought on the open market ?

Oh yeah.....I forgot.

1. The Koch Brothers tell me everything I think I know.

2. Hate radio fills in what the Koch's miss.

3. All (or most) politicians listen to their constitutents.

4. Our health care system is awful....just awful

5. Everyone in Canada loves their health care system.....

6. Everyone in the U.K. loves their health care system.....

7. All the metrics work against the U.S. because nobody skews the statistics.

8. Citing statistics is racist.

9. And you know everything.....

What a stupid idea...a huge chunk of Amerocans were not insured, yet medical costs and insurance premiums still skyrocketed. If fewer people get medical care prices will go UP.

wouldn't a proper analysis look at medical costs across the board, instead of cherry picking one procedure?

No.

LASIK is generally an optional surgery.

People buy it on the open market..

Others are part of the great scam.

But you think that stops when you've put them in charge of our health care.

Got it.

I think they know they have to meet minimum metrics.

You see, for all your whiny libertarian garbage, most of the government agencies do their job reasonably well. Mail gets delivered, the DMV in mot places are pretty efficient (we just hate going there because it's a pain), and so on.

Nobody HAS to get LASIK. again, you miss the point.

If I have a pill that will save your life, if you go to the rules of supply and demand, the price will go up because your demand is pretty fucking high.

The Demand for Lasik is pretty low. Most people are kind of okay with wearing glasses if the alternative costs too much.

Oh, and since you brought it up, the fact is, LASIK procedures are falling out of favor. Mostly because once the market fairies have been exposed, it's actually a pretty dangerous procedure with lots of complications they didn't tell you about when they were trying to sell it hard.

Lasik surgery falling out of favor with patients

Potential patients are less likely to opt for Lasik than in the procedure's heyday of 2000-2007, when ads flooded the airwaves and more than a million of the outpatient surgeries were performed each year. The number of laser vision correction surgeries per year — a category including Lasik and the closely related PRK procedure — has dropped more than 50 percent, from about 1.5 million surgeries in 2007 to 604,000 in 2015, according to the eye care data source Market Scope.

Anti-Lasik patient advocates say potential patients are finding websites such as Lasik Complications and reading sobering stories about patients who endure debilitating side effects.

so here you have an example of turning a medical procedure into a commodity, and low and behold, you actually got some shitty results.

Did you read your article.....?

It says that a lot of people were happy with the LASIK surgery they got.

Regardless.....you have apparently can't concieve of anything where the government doesn't control or run everything.

It's pretty much the same thing with you over and over.

You won't wee single payer....this country won't stand for it.

I'll spend my time discussing ideas with people who think and don't just parrot the horsecrap they read from some left wing site.

Good luck in you quest....I only hope your bitterness does not eat you up along the way.

Well, I hope you enjoy paying more for insurance, buddy.

Because once all those people who don't want to buy it opt out because they are young and healthy, it's going to fall back on you.

But that was before the Black Guy Did It. Once The Black Guy Did It, it became the MOST EVIL THING EVER!!!!

Did you read your article.....?

It says that a lot of people were happy with the LASIK surgery they got.

and a lot of people had terrible side effects, which is why the frequency of the procedure has dropped since the days the hucksters were doing it in malls.

You won't wee single payer....this country won't stand for it.

We will have single payer by 2024. Probably right after Trump or Pence is run out on a rail in 2020.

Good luck in you quest....I only hope your bitterness does not eat you up along the way.

How I can always tell when I've won an argument. When they try to make it about me.

Because once all those people who don't want to buy it opt out because they are young and healthy, it's going to fall back on you.

But that was before the Black Guy Did It. Once The Black Guy Did It, it became the MOST EVIL THING EVER!!!!
/——/ When I was in my 20s, Health insurance was affordable and easy to get then politicians turned it into a political football and royally screwed things up. Trump wants it back the way it used to be and so do I.

/——/ When I was in my 20s, Health insurance was affordable and easy to get then politicians turned it into a political football and royally screwed things up. Trump wants it back the way it used to be and so do I.
Where you DIY at home?

Where you DIY at home?
/——/ No you dumb f**k. There was a time you could buy health insurance just like car and home insurance. It was called the 1980s. Of course you being 9 years old only know Obozocare.

Where you DIY at home?
/——/ No you dumb f**k. There was a time you could buy health insurance just like car and home insurance. It was called the 1980s. Of course you being 9 years old only know Obozocare.
For some damn reason I had the army take care of all that hogwash in the 1980's.Uncle Sam still does....I live a carefree life, except when the weed runs low...

Forum List

Back