Volvo Does the Unthinkable

Pet Peeve of the month (at the very least):
Volvo stealing Walt Whitman's words to sell their overpriced, "swell" cars. That dear man would not like the elite buy-in here, and I HATE his great words being subverted to selling cars in -- of all the undignified things-- a television commercial!
He might find the guy interesting, though.

For the sake of all that's good, don't buy that Volvo!

My favorite car sales statement came from the head cheese at Fiat-Chrysler. He held a press conference and begged consumers NOT to buy their all-electric vehicles. !!!! Because he lost a wad of cash on each one he sold.

The unspoken truth there was -- They only MADE electric versions to get their "fleet mileage" above EPA limits. And because of general govt incompetence in making stuff work without SEVERE side effects, he was telling the truth that the "law" required he OFFER them for sale, but never bookkept any numbers of those actually sold. :badgrin:

Volvo always positions themselves as a "luxury class" car. I thought so also when I had a Volvo station wagon in Cali. (HEY !! It was California -- not the real me. :biggrin:) That is ---- until I replaced it with a BMW wagon which genuinely IS a luxury car.:biggrin: Will never part with that one. Even IF I can't get parts for it anymore...

Volvos are certainly luxury cars. And they have a far superior record of reliability and longevity than any German car maker.

The two I had were prolly THE most unreliable two vehicles I've ever owned. And I've owned a lot.

Fatter o' mact speaking back to HenryBHough about electricals, I recall a $1500 repair bill on exactly that for the other one (744 I think it was). And I know the mechanic took a loss charging me that little for all he had to do.

Volvo stealing Walt Whitman's words to sell their overpriced, "swell" cars. That dear man would not like the elite buy-in here, and I HATE his great words being subverted to selling cars in -- of all the undignified things-- a television commercial!

My favorite car sales statement came from the head cheese at Fiat-Chrysler. He held a press conference and begged consumers NOT to buy their all-electric vehicles. !!!! Because he lost a wad of cash on each one he sold.

The unspoken truth there was -- They only MADE electric versions to get their "fleet mileage" above EPA limits. And because of general govt incompetence in making stuff work without SEVERE side effects, he was telling the truth that the "law" required he OFFER them for sale, but never bookkept any numbers of those actually sold. :badgrin:

Volvo always positions themselves as a "luxury class" car. I thought so also when I had a Volvo station wagon in Cali. (HEY !! It was California -- not the real me. :biggrin:) That is ---- until I replaced it with a BMW wagon which genuinely IS a luxury car.:biggrin: Will never part with that one. Even IF I can't get parts for it anymore...

Volvos are certainly luxury cars. And they have a far superior record of reliability and longevity than any German car maker.

Sure Sure. Mine blew up on the highway because of the cheap plastic cooling system components. But keep telling yourself that they beat BMW/Mercedes. The BMW wagon is about 15 yr old (low mileage) and I've got a superhero mechanic that lets' me avoid the fluffy service at the BMW dealer. It's gonna run forever.. With hardly ANY investment.

We had a Volvo SUV...a XC something, it was a good vehicle but our family outgrew it
XC90. Great vehicle.
volvo-xc90-2015-7.jpg

volvos-lounge-console-is-the-ultimate-in-chauffeured-pampering-photo-658572-s-450x274.jpg

I had two Volvos. First one was great. Newer one was a piece of shit. And they called that progress. Could have been worse....they managed not to use Lucas (Prince of Darkness) electricals.

Reeeeely. I too had two Volvos, due to inability to learn from first example. It too (first one) used Lucas electricals, although it was the less-lemony of the two. The electricals were never the issue.

Looked like this...
1965_sanmarcos-ca-500x375.jpg
That's a P1800, correct? There are still some on the road with over 1 million miles.

Yeah P1800 -- there's one that I'm aware of that has three million miles, which is I guess the exception that proves the rule.

Irv Gordon's three million mile car

His is a '66 though.

Last edited:
Well, shit, I've done it now--turned this into a Volvo commercial.
Philistines.

The two I had were prolly THE most unreliable two vehicles I've ever owned. And I've owned a lot.

Fatter o' mact speaking back to HenryBHough about electricals, I recall a $1500 repair bill on exactly that for the other one (744 I think it was). And I know the mechanic took a loss charging me that little for all he had to do.

Electrical system and air conditioning were always Volvo's weak spot.

Sure Sure. Mine blew up on the highway because of the cheap plastic cooling system components. But keep telling yourself that they beat BMW/Mercedes. The BMW wagon is about 15 yr old (low mileage) and I've got a superhero mechanic that lets' me avoid the fluffy service at the BMW dealer. It's gonna run forever.. With hardly ANY investment.

What year/model was that Volvo?

Your BMW won't make it to 300,000 miles. My remaining Volvo is way past that.

The era of Walt Whitman is over.......
Magnificent idealist, exuberant rambunctious rule breaking guy with a heart the size of all outdoors.
It will never be over.
Wonderful....bet ya .000000001% of hs kids know word one of whitman
Do you make it a point to travel about pissing on others' parades?
Are you into that, ms. trump?
I'm gonna have to be careful using that word from now on, aren't I?

Magnificent idealist, exuberant rambunctious rule breaking guy with a heart the size of all outdoors.
It will never be over.
Are you into that, ms. trump?
I'm gonna have to be careful using that word from now on, aren't I?
at least around me. You know I like to pervert you as much as possible :badgrin:

The pumpkin awaits.
You can back to electrical systems now. Or pee.

It will never be over.
I thought the joke was obvious............anyway doesnt he fall into the old dead white guy category that libs want discarded........guess I may as way go for piss you off if thats what ya see

Forum List

Back