Video shows Nashville man running away as he's fatally shot by police

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Video shows Nashville man killed by police as he ran away

Newly released surveillance video shows the moment a police officer in Nashville, Tennessee, fatally shot a man in the back as he ran away — leading to questions about the use of deadly force and calls for the police chief's resignation.

The family of Daniel Hambrick, a 25-year-old black man, held a news conference Wednesday following the video's release to call attention to perceived racial bias in policing and demand that the officer involved be fired.

"I just want justice for my son," said Hambrick's mother, Vickie Hambrick, through tears. "That's all I'm asking. And for all the young black guys and young women, I want justice for them."

The surveillance footage, which was released by the Nashville District Attorney and obtained from a nearby school, shows Metro Nashville police Officer Andrew Delke, 25, chasing Hambrick on a sidewalk just after 7 p.m. CT (8 p.m. ET) on July 26.

Delke then stops and takes a shooting stance, and Hambrick falls to the ground. The officer then moves toward Hambrick with his weapon still drawn.

There is no audio with the video. Police said Delke fired his gun "several times."​

The local Fraternal Order of Police held their own news conference Wednesday to reiterate that the footage doesn't show the complete picture. President James Smallwood said Hambrick was armed at the time, as police have previously said, and that Delke had to make an "absolutely necessary and reasonable" decision to fire if he believed Hambrick was in a position to shoot him.

"It is our firm belief that Officer Delke acted reasonably under the totality of the circumstances," Smallwood said.

On the night of the shooting, Metro Nashville police tweeted an image of the pistol that was recovered from the scene.​

From the way the news article reads, the police didn't know that Hambrick had a weapon when they were chasing him down. And for the record, chasing someone down and shooting them in the back as they're fleeing is not a defensive shooting.

I need more details. I assume his gun came into the picture at some point.
I doubt this guy just shot him in the back for running. But you never know!
Keep us updated.

From the way the news article reads, the police didn't know that Hambrick had a weapon when they were chasing him down. And for the record, chasing someone down and shooting them in the back as they're fleeing is not a defensive shooting.
Delke had to make an "absolutely necessary and reasonable" decision to fire if he believed Hambrick was in a position to shoot him.

"It is our firm belief that Officer Delke acted reasonably under the totality of the circumstances," Smallwood said.

The officer could see the victim pulling out a mirror in order to fire at the officer.

Last edited:
Why don’t you anti cop people ever run stories on the cops who are ambushed and murdered?

Because it doesn't happen as much as what we see here. Every year police kill at least 10 times the number of citizens than cops who die. And most police deaths are not in a armed situation. Most die by car wrecks or heart attacks.

Why don’t you anti cop people ever run stories on the cops who are ambushed and murdered?

Because it doesn't happen as much as what we see here. Every year police kill at least 10 times the number of citizens than cops who die. And most police deaths are not in a armed situation. Most die by car wrecks or heart attacks.
I specifically said murdered and ambushed did I not? Speak to that.

Newly released surveillance video shows the moment a police officer in Nashville, Tennessee, fatally shot a man in the back as he ran away — leading to questions about the use of deadly force and calls for the police chief's resignation.

The family of Daniel Hambrick, a 25-year-old black man, held a news conference Wednesday following the video's release to call attention to perceived racial bias in policing and demand that the officer involved be fired.

"I just want justice for my son," said Hambrick's mother, Vickie Hambrick, through tears. "That's all I'm asking. And for all the young black guys and young women, I want justice for them."

The surveillance footage, which was released by the Nashville District Attorney and obtained from a nearby school, shows Metro Nashville police Officer Andrew Delke, 25, chasing Hambrick on a sidewalk just after 7 p.m. CT (8 p.m. ET) on July 26.

Delke then stops and takes a shooting stance, and Hambrick falls to the ground. The officer then moves toward Hambrick with his weapon still drawn.

There is no audio with the video. Police said Delke fired his gun "several times."​
The police are allowed to shoot people who are running away.

Nobody else is however. Security guards and civilians are not allowed.

I feel bad for the cop.

The local Fraternal Order of Police held their own news conference Wednesday to reiterate that the footage doesn't show the complete picture. President James Smallwood said Hambrick was armed at the time, as police have previously said, and that Delke had to make an "absolutely necessary and reasonable" decision to fire if he believed Hambrick was in a position to shoot him.

On the night of the shooting, Metro Nashville police tweeted an image of the pistol that was recovered from the scene.​

The Rodney King verdict convinced me that you can have video and audio of cops planting something on you or shooting you for no reason and they will still get off.

New Topics

Forum List

Back