Veterans' Day - Thoughts of One Veteran

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I have a bad habit. I look at decisions I made in my past life (I'm 73) and fret about things I did, didn't do, and didn't consider.

The time period from when I started my senior year in HS and the time 23 months later when I enlisted in the Army was the worst time of my life. To start with, I foolishly took two part-time jobs during that senior year that left no time for schoolwork and I essentially blew off my last year of HS (thinking that I would get into college based on my first three years and my SAT score), graduating in the middle of my class. I enrolled in college and despite a lot of bad breaks I failed out through my own laziness and immaturity - actually quitting classes midway through the second semester. I was at the top of the list to be drafted when my college (I assume) advised the Draft Board that my student draft deferment no longer applied. In fact I got my draft notice after I was already halfway through Basic Training at Fort Jackson, SC. On a personal level, my mother died unexpectedly (51 y.o.) one week into my second semester, and my long-term GF dumped me, which didn't help my mental state.

In short, enlisting in the Army was the only lifeline that appeared to me at the time. I needed to get away from my life, and take a few years to grow up. And while it was painful being away from friends and family for those three years, and being in the Army is generally a pain in the ass, it basically "saved" my life. While in the Army, I felt an obligation to volunteer for VN service, but with my MOS (Personnel Management) I knew I was not going to be dodging bullets or living in any jungles. My VN service was spent in an office and a nice barracks, far better off than my "brothers" in the bush.

The benefits of my service were almost incalculable. I grew up in circumstances where my immaturity didn't hurt me. I came to realize WHY a college education was something to be gotten. I saved a ton of money (while in VN). I made myself eligible for the GI Bill, a VA mortgage, and a few other benefits over the years, including a significant advantage when applying for a Federal job as a VN Vet. There were downsides of course, but on the whole my military service was a "blessing." It got my priorities in order, it taught me to deal with minor bullshit with a mature perspective, and it taught me that there was a ton of stuff that I could accomplish and nobody could prevent it.

I do occasionally display my Veteran status - with a baseball cap and whatnot - but I really feel odd when people thank me for my service. I understand the sentiment of course, but I feel like I need to thank "America" for giving me a place and the opportunity to get my life in order...it was going to hell when I enlisted, but it worked out OK.

I have a bad habit. I look at decisions I made in my past life (I'm 73) and fret about things I did, didn't do, and didn't consider.

The time period from when I started my senior year in HS and the time 23 months later when I enlisted in the Army was the worst time of my life. To start with, I foolishly took two part-time jobs during that senior year that left no time for schoolwork and I essentially blew off my last year of HS (thinking that I would get into college based on my first three years and my SAT score), graduating in the middle of my class. I enrolled in college and despite a lot of bad breaks I failed out through my own laziness and immaturity - actually quitting classes midway through the second semester. I was at the top of the list to be drafted when my college (I assume) advised the Draft Board that my student draft deferment no longer applied. In fact I got my draft notice after I was already halfway through Basic Training at Fort Jackson, SC. On a personal level, my mother died unexpectedly (51 y.o.) one week into my second semester, and my long-term GF dumped me, which didn't help my mental state.

In short, enlisting in the Army was the only lifeline that appeared to me at the time. I needed to get away from my life, and take a few years to grow up. And while it was painful being away from friends and family for those three years, and being in the Army is generally a pain in the ass, it basically "saved" my life. While in the Army, I felt an obligation to volunteer for VN service, but with my MOS (Personnel Management) I knew I was not going to be dodging bullets or living in any jungles. My VN service was spent in an office and a nice barracks, far better off than my "brothers" in the bush.

The benefits of my service were almost incalculable. I grew up in circumstances where my immaturity didn't hurt me. I came to realize WHY a college education was something to be gotten. I saved a ton of money (while in VN). I made myself eligible for the GI Bill, a VA mortgage, and a few other benefits over the years, including a significant advantage when applying for a Federal job as a VN Vet. There were downsides of course, but on the whole my military service was a "blessing." It got my priorities in order, it taught me to deal with minor bullshit with a mature perspective, and it taught me that there was a ton of stuff that I could accomplish and nobody could prevent it.

I do occasionally display my Veteran status - with a baseball cap and whatnot - but I really feel odd when people thank me for my service. I understand the sentiment of course, but I feel like I need to thank "America" for giving me a place and the opportunity to get my life in order...it was going to hell when I enlisted, but it worked out OK.

Yes, thank you for your service. It doesn't matter your role or risk factors, you were willing.

Remembrance Day is the only day I shed a tear watching the ceremonies. Sometimes during 9/11 too (though more rage at the memories which I can't erase).

I applied to the military while in university. I should have continued to pursue it but I did not, even after a most interesting unofficial interview with an intelligence officer which I kept secret from everyone until recently speaking about it on here for the first time a year ago or so. Without alarming me or being overly dramatic, he told me "don't tell anyone about this interview" even the friend I went to recruitment with, and I didn't.

At that time I didn't fully appreciate it all (I received a perfect math score and was the first person finished by about half an hour) and I decided to return to university.

At one time I reached out to the U.S a few years later around age 30 or so wondering if I could somehow apply for your forces as I felt a duty to fight in places my country wouldn't (at least officially). I also believed you were better funded and sincere about confronting the evils of that time.

It wasn't possible but I was given some alternative ideas via email. Coincidentally, a few years earlier while in my twenties I played a recruitment game, called I believe "Americas Own Army" or something. I was surprised I was able to play this first player shooting game from Canada which tried to replicate military situations. I recall receiving an email from some recruitment team after a few weeks (I was a top notch sniper, this goes back to my CounterStrike days lol).

Not realizing that the process was THAT direct or involved while playing this game, clearly peoples stats or skillset were kept in some sort of recruitment database and they even recommended potential positions in the U.S military I might be a good fit for.

Like you, I also have many memories and regrets. You are indeed lucky to be living in America though, where ones aptitudes and opportunity to grow are welcome. If born in Canadas caste system, you might have just been F.A.B (F$%#ed At Birth) or a plaything for some unaccountable Canadian cult who care little for their country.

One fact about me is certain though, I've faced too many challenges in life to know anything BUT how to be defiant. As long as the Lord allows me to breath, I will continue this good fight. I hope you and others do too.

Forum List

Back