Verizon strike what a sorry bunch

I"m sure all those Verizon employees (NOT "workers" I hate that term) are very intellectual, college educated, Obama voters. They DESERVE Verizon's millions. All of them. Verizon should go bankrupt to pay them all.

the land line side of verizon, which is where 90+% of the union jobs are, is dying. if the unions push this too hard, i wouldn't be surprised if verizon said fuck it and got out of the dial tone biz all together. the wireless side ias what's driving profits and that's 98% non union.

IIRC correctly, teamsters at UPS pushed a strike too far in the 70's with the result that UPS closed a ton of facilities and cut a bunch of union jobs.

And I would laugh my ass off because all those dumbasses will be on unemployment

You're a bitter hag! Did you get fired from your last 12 jobs because you absolutely reek of a stench that of a skunk?! I AM A UNION WORKER, I am not the problem. Teachers, police officers, paramedics, firefighters, road workers, etc. are NOT the enemy. If you're jealous of our benefits, FIGHT FOR YOUR OWN!, not against ours. The rich who created this crisis are putting middle class families against each other. We live here, pay taxes, work hard & try to support our families too. Get educated, get real and get a life!

the land line side of verizon, which is where 90+% of the union jobs are, is dying. if the unions push this too hard, i wouldn't be surprised if verizon said fuck it and got out of the dial tone biz all together. the wireless side ias what's driving profits and that's 98% non union.

IIRC correctly, teamsters at UPS pushed a strike too far in the 70's with the result that UPS closed a ton of facilities and cut a bunch of union jobs.

And I would laugh my ass off because all those dumbasses will be on unemployment

You're a bitter hag! Did you get fired from your last 12 jobs because you absolutely reek of a stench that of a skunk?! I AM A UNION WORKER, I am not the problem. Teachers, police officers, paramedics, firefighters, road workers, etc. are NOT the enemy. If you're jealous of our benefits, FIGHT FOR YOUR OWN!, not against ours. The rich who created this crisis are putting middle class families against each other. We live here, pay taxes, work hard & try to support our families too. Get educated, get real and get a life!

We are educated, and we realize that unions bankrupt governments and companies. It's just fact dude, you union folks now compete in a GLOBAL marketplace. And union labor is too expensive to be competitive with. Because, in general, unions demand more and more, and want what is not globally competitive anymore.

For example, many big cities in the Northeast have had to layoff cops. Like Newark, who laid off 40% of their force. Why? Cant afford the union labor.

However, where I live, in South Carolina, the police departments have not only never had layoffs, but they are currently hiring LOTS of new recruits. Because they are non-union. They get a decent paycheck. Chip in a small bit to their own benefits, like most people do. And they never have to worry about being laid off.

The Dept of Labor and OSHA has ensured that unfair work conditions will never exist, or if they do they will be found and punished. There is no longer a need for labor unions.

I grew up in Pittsburgh. It very Union up there and the Steel mills closed down. A lot of the coal mines closed down due to the union wages. Got tired of their crap and moved it elsewhere

We are educated, and we realize that unions bankrupt governments and companies. It's just fact dude, you union folks now compete in a GLOBAL marketplace. And union labor is too expensive to be competitive with. Because, in general, unions demand more and more, and want what is not globally competitive anymore.

For example, many big cities in the Northeast have had to layoff cops. Like Newark, who laid off 40% of their force. Why? Cant afford the union labor.

However, where I live, in South Carolina, the police departments have not only never had layoffs, but they are currently hiring LOTS of new recruits. Because they are non-union. They get a decent paycheck. Chip in a small bit to their own benefits, like most people do. And they never have to worry about being laid off.

The Dept of Labor and OSHA has ensured that unfair work conditions will never exist, or if they do they will be found and punished. There is no longer a need for labor unions.

And to an extent I agree. Unions act more as an advocate nowadays for internal issues and not so much to the extent of labor laws true! I've worked for over 20 years and for many without a union. I don't agree with all the aspects of a union fight for certain issues but hold true to the ORIGINAL concept of why there were the creation of them; to protect the American workers job.

I grew up in Pittsburgh. It very Union up there and the Steel mills closed down. A lot of the coal mines closed down due to the union wages. Got tired of their crap and moved it elsewhere

That's unfortunate as I'm sure there were many who would be willing to work with compromise just as long as they were able to provide for their families. In this economic environment I know of no one that wouldn't prefer to work thru their issues rather than to be home or possibly collecting unemployment. The same unemployment that they worked to contribute to for other unfortunates out of work is the same unemployment you'd contribute to too.

Picking saying they want jobs. Are they not the ones who walked off their jobs. Just be grateful that you have one but there is a lot of people who dont.

What are they complaining about right?

I mean clearly Verizon needs to cut salaries and benefits to labor because their paying 17.5 million to the CEO and only recorded profits of 2.5 billion so far this year.

Those cry-baby middle class Verizon workers...:confused:?

Your ignorance is profound!! Verizon needs to cut the workers salaries?! To do what? To compensate the $55,000/day CEO's fifth house? Or perhaps hire more vendors from New Dehli, Tokyo or elsewhere NOT in the US so we can be subservient to all other nations! That's the new American way I suppose. You ignorant hag! Did you know Verizon not only paid NO TAXES last year but they also received a ONE BILLION DOLLAR REFUND?! They are workers who want to work and do so every single day sometimes up to twelve hours a day and grateful for the employment but to do so at a quarter of their income AND contribute to their benefits AND loose pensions?! That's as if someone came into your home to take physically the left arm and right leg of your child and kill your parents. I mean what the hell?! They have their other limbs and you've been raised by your parents so what further use do you have for them yes?! Try being educated first on the WHOLE issue before you display such ignorance!

:rolleyes:

how are things at the CWA, bro?

tense?

the days of spending hours burnishing pairs of copper wire for double stamps on a sunday afternoon are never coming back

adapt or die

What are they complaining about right?

I mean clearly Verizon needs to cut salaries and benefits to labor because their paying 17.5 million to the CEO and only recorded profits of 2.5 billion so far this year.

Those cry-baby middle class Verizon workers...:confused:?

Your ignorance is profound!! Verizon needs to cut the workers salaries?! To do what? To compensate the $55,000/day CEO's fifth house? Or perhaps hire more vendors from New Dehli, Tokyo or elsewhere NOT in the US so we can be subservient to all other nations! That's the new American way I suppose. You ignorant hag! Did you know Verizon not only paid NO TAXES last year but they also received a ONE BILLION DOLLAR REFUND?! They are workers who want to work and do so every single day sometimes up to twelve hours a day and grateful for the employment but to do so at a quarter of their income AND contribute to their benefits AND loose pensions?! That's as if someone came into your home to take physically the left arm and right leg of your child and kill your parents. I mean what the hell?! They have their other limbs and you've been raised by your parents so what further use do you have for them yes?! Try being educated first on the WHOLE issue before you display such ignorance!

tense?

the days of spending hours burnishing pairs of copper wire for double stamps on a sunday afternoon are never coming back

adapt or die

Nah dude!! Life's good!! In fact it's leaving more time for me to work on my 2nd masters degree as this JOB is NOT my life but instead another step on the ladder I'm climbing for my family and me. Difference is I'm not letting those who've climbed that ladder piss and crap all over me. Sniff, sniff...you stink dude!! Maybe you should clean that stench that you've gotten being on that bottom step! Oh, btw, haven't worked on a copper wireline in a decade so why don't you brush up on your insult tactics or just go back to 8th grade! :lol:

tense?

adapt or die

Nah dude!! Life's good!! In fact it's leaving more time for me to work on my 2nd masters degree as this JOB is NOT my life but instead another step on the ladder I'm climbing for my family and me. Difference is I'm not letting those who've climbed that ladder piss and crap all over me. Sniff, sniff...you stink dude!! Maybe you should clean that stench that you've gotten being on that bottom step! Oh, btw, haven't worked on a copper wireline in a decade so why don't you brush up on your insult tactics or just go back to 8th grade! :lol:

you made my point

thanks

tense?

adapt or die

you made my point

thanks

Glad to accommodate ya scabber! Have a ball trying to get my job as I'll be the one running you! Lights out... Sweet dreams

you made my point

thanks

Glad to accommodate ya scabber! Have a ball trying to get my job as I'll be the one running you! Lights out... Sweet dreams

i couldn't take the pay cut

sorry

did they name the butt set after you by any chance?

you made my point

thanks

sorry

No I believe that was reserved for your family's surname a long long long time ago. And look! You're living it to it's very essence! Pay cut?! Wait! Let me stop laughing long enough to digest! So when is your next show on the comedy circuit? I actually might pay a pence! But you're free here so....

And to an extent I agree. Unions act more as an advocate nowadays for internal issues and not so much to the extent of labor laws true! I've worked for over 20 years and for many without a union. I don't agree with all the aspects of a union fight for certain issues but hold true to the ORIGINAL concept of why there were the creation of them; to protect the American workers job.

But, you also must realize that protecting the American "employees" job (I hate the term "worker") is a double duty issue. The company or government also must do certain things, such as make profits, remain competitive, keep a balanced budget. If they are losing more than they take in, then they must layoff employees. So if a company or gov't says they can no longer afford the union wages.....then protecting employment may mean slashing some pay or benefits. At some point, the numbers just dont add up. Thats a cold hard reality. And in a global market, the union labor often causes things to "not add up" in the end.

sorry

No I believe that was reserved for your family's surname a long long long time ago. And look! You're living it to it's very essence! Pay cut?! Wait! Let me stop laughing long enough to digest! So when is your next show on the comedy circuit? I actually might pay a pence! But you're free here so....

i take it your first masters isn't in english

sorry

Try investing into a spellcheck the next time you want to set, uh, I mean send a reply tool!

sorry

i take it your first masters isn't in english

No you should take it you're not worth the brain matter and you're a game to me right now...nothing more. Did you read your previous typographical errors or did your interpreter leave the building?! So who pissed in your tea today?

sorry

Try investing into a spellcheck the next time you want to set, uh, I mean send a reply tool!

i guess you told him, huh?

:eusa_whistle:

Picking saying they want jobs. Are they not the ones who walked off their jobs. Just be grateful that you have one but there is a lot of people who dont.
I think this strike illustrates just how much power and influence unions in America have lost over the years. Current membership in unions in America is down to 11.9%. In 1979 it was 24%. This strike of 45,000 is one of largest strikes in years but it doesn't even make the evening news.

From the stuff on the net, it doesn't seem like the employees are asking for anything other than a new contract. They just want to keep what they've got but that's probably not going to happen since Verizon has shipped 20,000 of their jobs oversea and that's probably going to continue.

By contrast, Verizon just reported huge increases in earnings and will be paying it's stockholder 10 billion in dividends in January. It would seem the company might be will to share a bit of this with the people that actually do the work, but I guess that's considered Unamerican.

Last edited:

i guess you told him, huh?

:eusa_whistle:[/QUOTE

:blahblah:

I think this strike illustrates just how much power and influence unions in America have lost over the years. Current membership in unions in America is down to 11.9%. In 1979 it was 24%. This strike of 45,000 is one of largest strikes in years but it doesn't even make the evening news.

From the stuff on the net, it doesn't seem like the employees are asking for anything other a new contract. They just want to keep what they've got but that's probably not going to happen since Verizon has shipped 20,000 of their jobs oversea and that's probably going to continue.

By contrast, Verizon just reported huge increases in earnings and will be paying it's stockholder 10 billion in dividends in January. It would seem the company might be will to share a bit of this with the people that actually do the work, but I guess that's considered Unamerican.
:clap2:
Ding, ding, ding!! We have a winner! I'm not all for the unions tactics and would not mind contributing to healthcare as every other worker in America does already. I ALWAYS have in previous jobs but this time the union went with no new demands; just the same that's been in place and preserve the pension for those that have given their time already. Yes some will move on and seek other employment and you're right jobs will get outsourced. As a consumer we'll pay more and receive less which seems to be the corporate motto of late.
Wonderfully stated! With that the closing bell has chimed!

Forum List

Back