USMB Good Source for News

Camp

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2013
Notice the thread title does not read that USMB is a good news source, but rather reads "Good Source for News". It assumes readers and members know the difference.

Every day members post threads about current events and especially politics. Included in many of those threads are links to a wide-ranging spectrum of news sources. Years ago, people were limited to newspapers and basically, three TV channels. Most cities and areas had at least two newspapers available to the public, one leaning left and one leaning right. Local affiliate TV stations did the same. All followed journalistic rules and standards and used focus and attention of stories for "influence". A particular story might get brief coverage, often on an inside page, while other venues might give the story front-page coverage day after day. A venue might treat a scandal for example with very basic coverage while another would put a team of an investigative journalists on the story and report every new development, no matter how small or insignificant, they would give the story attention just to promote the scandal. A story was promoted or ignored simply by controlling the amount of coverage it was given. Focus and attention.

Today, people are bombarded with news sources and very few of those sources follow old-time journalistic standards. Now, the public is required to navigate through endless news sources or risk being propagandized. They must read or view multiple sources to reach unbiased opinions and be knowledgeable and intelligent enough to recognize when a news source is using focus and attention as a political weapon, and in many cases, using misinformation or even outright lies to influence their opinions.

Following USMB threads makes it easier for finding multiple sources and coverage of stories. Often links on stories are provided to sources as varied as Gateway Pundit to Huffington Post. Of course, one can easily Google a story and find multiple story coverage, but USMB threads and links can be easier, faster and more efficient. Not always, but often.

Notice the thread title does not read that USMB is a good news source, but rather reads "Good Source for News". It assumes readers and members know the difference.

Every day members post threads about current events and especially politics. Included in many of those threads are links to a wide-ranging spectrum of news sources. Years ago, people were limited to newspapers and basically, three TV channels. Most cities and areas had at least two newspapers available to the public, one leaning left and one leaning right. Local affiliate TV stations did the same. All followed journalistic rules and standards and used focus and attention of stories for "influence". A particular story might get brief coverage, often on an inside page, while other venues might give the story front-page coverage day after day. A venue might treat a scandal for example with very basic coverage while another would put a team of an investigative journalists on the story and report every new development, no matter how small or insignificant, they would give the story attention just to promote the scandal. A story was promoted or ignored simply by controlling the amount of coverage it was given. Focus and attention.

Today, people are bombarded with news sources and very few of those sources follow old-time journalistic standards. Now, the public is required to navigate through endless news sources or risk being propagandized. They must read or view multiple sources to reach unbiased opinions and be knowledgeable and intelligent enough to recognize when a news source is using focus and attention as a political weapon, and in many cases, using misinformation or even outright lies to influence their opinions.

Following USMB threads makes it easier for finding multiple sources and coverage of stories. Often links on stories are provided to sources as varied as Gateway Pundit to Huffington Post. Of course, one can easily Google a story and find multiple story coverage, but USMB threads and links can be easier, faster and more efficient. Not always, but often.
USMB is rather like swimming through shit while searching for gold nuggets of information.

"be knowledgeable and intelligent enough to recognize when a news source is using focus and attention as a political weapon, and in many cases, using misinformation or even outright lies to influence their opinions."

Yes..and apply the same standards to threads here, as well.

They must read or view multiple sources to reach unbiased opinions and be knowledgeable and intelligent enough to recognize when a news source is using focus and attention as a political weapon
Okay, that works with about two tenths of the population............ I forgot the name of the guy who got in trouble for publicly saying "the voter is stupid" but he was correct.

They must read or view multiple sources to reach unbiased opinions and be knowledgeable and intelligent enough to recognize when a news source is using focus and attention as a political weapon
Okay, that works with about two tenths of the population............ I forgot the name of the guy who got in trouble for publicly saying "the voter is stupid" but he was correct.
Some of our most moronic members here post interesting links.

Some of our most moronic members here post interesting links.
Yeah, and? :dunno:

Well, some of them are sources I would never look for on my own. I guess I just find it interesting discovering where some folks get their information.

Well, some of them are sources I would never look for on my own. I guess I just find it interesting discovering where some folks get their information.
Think "confirmation bias", by nature people gravitate towards that which is familiar and that which supports or appears to support their paradigm. We all do it to one degree or another though the vast majority are unaware of this human trait in themselves so never question their conclusions and or judgments.

Forum List

Back