USMB Coffee Shop IV

speed score.jpg

Hi everyone.
Hope all is well with you all.
I finally saved up enough money for a new computer. Now I can come on here more often. It was hard just using the phone.
So happy every time you've checked in Peach and it has been far too long between those check points. :) But congrats on the new 'puter. I would be miserable trying to do this on my phone too.
All I got is an old man flip phone.

Hi everyone.
I finally saved up enough money for a new computer. Now I can come on here more often. It was hard just using the phone.
And you made good use of it and tracked me down. Got a new computer myself as my laptop is dying and only will boot when I ask nice. Those of you that know me know how unlikely THAT would be. Anyway, a lot has gone on since I stopped in last. Doc Holliday's is thriving and despite being shuttered for 10 weeks only to open to restriction of hours and capacities we finished 2020 in the black with a gross slightly above 2019 and about 4 times 2014 (our first year) In July of 2018, we purchased the building and immediately set about hiring architects to draw up a kitchen addition. Progress was slow due to it being a relatively small project and we were finally ready to start bu Feb. 2020 and then, the SHTF with covid. Money that would have gone to the addition instead went to maintaining health insurance for employees and liquor liability and all insurance on the building plus taxes minimal utilities and security. For the 10 weeks we were closed, there was someone in the building at all times. I slept there with a 12 gauge and a pistol close at hand as there were several cases of looting in the area. Thankfully no one died although I heard the door rattle about 1:30 AM one night. A sad customer saw some lights on and wanted a beer. Sorry can't do that, fella.
Fast forward to the fall. Hurricane Sally ripped through here with horrible damage to many homes and businesses. I spent the night at Doc's only heading home once the eye was over us The building was spared serious damage and we were only closed 4 days until power was restored. We're on the same line as the electric company and City Hall.

I guess that covers the main stuff Life is mostly good, but now I'm dealing with the county on a property line problem. Seems they want to pave my front lawn. Long story but this might help to explain the results of a new survey in preparation of paving my road
OMGosh Ernie, so very happy to hear from you. I have wondered so many times how you were, where you were, and so many have asked. You (and Peach) have been very much missed persons. Yay!!!

(Hope you are successful fighting city/county hall.)

And for the newscomers, no, Ernie and Peach aren't a 'couple' but have been friends longer than many of you have been alive. :)
The battle with the County is not going well. It's going to be a knock down drag out. Hopefully, I can get them to favor the opposite side of the right-away when they do pave. In Alabama, Adverse Possession does not apply to disputes with government entities so I'm at their mercy. My road is on a list of 10 county maintained roads that are scheduled to be paved this year and half have problems. My problem, besides being MINE is that the county could force me to move my home or pave to within 2 feet of my front porch.

Hi everyone.
So happy every time you've checked in Peach and it has been far too long between those check points. :) But congrats on the new 'puter. I would be miserable trying to do this on my phone too.
All I got is an old man flip phone.
Yeah but you're almost certainly a lot younger and a lot more tech savvy that I am.

Hi everyone.
And you made good use of it and tracked me down. Got a new computer myself as my laptop is dying and only will boot when I ask nice. Those of you that know me know how unlikely THAT would be. Anyway, a lot has gone on since I stopped in last. Doc Holliday's is thriving and despite being shuttered for 10 weeks only to open to restriction of hours and capacities we finished 2020 in the black with a gross slightly above 2019 and about 4 times 2014 (our first year) In July of 2018, we purchased the building and immediately set about hiring architects to draw up a kitchen addition. Progress was slow due to it being a relatively small project and we were finally ready to start bu Feb. 2020 and then, the SHTF with covid. Money that would have gone to the addition instead went to maintaining health insurance for employees and liquor liability and all insurance on the building plus taxes minimal utilities and security. For the 10 weeks we were closed, there was someone in the building at all times. I slept there with a 12 gauge and a pistol close at hand as there were several cases of looting in the area. Thankfully no one died although I heard the door rattle about 1:30 AM one night. A sad customer saw some lights on and wanted a beer. Sorry can't do that, fella.
Fast forward to the fall. Hurricane Sally ripped through here with horrible damage to many homes and businesses. I spent the night at Doc's only heading home once the eye was over us The building was spared serious damage and we were only closed 4 days until power was restored. We're on the same line as the electric company and City Hall.

I guess that covers the main stuff Life is mostly good, but now I'm dealing with the county on a property line problem. Seems they want to pave my front lawn. Long story but this might help to explain the results of a new survey in preparation of paving my road
OMGosh Ernie, so very happy to hear from you. I have wondered so many times how you were, where you were, and so many have asked. You (and Peach) have been very much missed persons. Yay!!!

And for the newscomers, no, Ernie and Peach aren't a 'couple' but have been friends longer than many of you have been alive. :)
The battle with the County is not going well. It's going to be a knock down drag out. Hopefully, I can get them to favor the opposite side of the right-away when they do pave. In Alabama, Adverse Possession does not apply to disputes with government entities so I'm at their mercy. My road is on a list of 10 county maintained roads that are scheduled to be paved this year and half have problems. My problem, besides being MINE is that the county could force me to move my home or pave to within 2 feet of my front porch.
Ouch. And they say you can't fight city hall. But here's hoping you can as that would essentially make your home uninhabitable. I wonder if a good attorney couldn't get you some relief in that a building permit was issued for your house in good faith or some such?

One would think so but the attorney I spoke with said I was at their mercy but that they may just take the minimum on my side of the road and the maximum on the other considering the lot affected across the road is wooded and unkept at the point where the cul de sac would be paved. Needless to say, I'm pretty upset by the whole thing.

I just watched the film, 'Anne of a thousand days' with Richard Burton. It reduced me to tears.
The intrigue and drama of the lives of the royal family is intense. King Henry the eighth had Anne Boleyn executed on trumped up charges because she did not bear him a son. In the film Anne refused to abdicate so that her daughter Elisabeth would be in line for the succession to the throne.

Anne Boleyn was the mother of queen Elizabeth the first.

More surveyors out here this morning laying out exactly where my house is located. They are gathering information for the person who will decide what's going to happen to Cassa de Ernie. I have to admit, everyone at County has been sympathetic and helpful if non committal so although I'm still in limbo, at least, I'm not angry. Angry would be bad. I'm very protective of my self and my property and heavily armed. :eusa_shifty:

More surveyors out here this morning laying out exactly where my house is located. They are gathering information for the person who will decide what's going to happen to Cassa de Ernie. I have to admit, everyone at County has been sympathetic and helpful if non committal so although I'm still in limbo, at least, I'm not angry. Angry would be bad. I'm very protective of my self and my property and heavily armed. :eusa_shifty:
Hopefully you won't need bail money. :)

Hi everyone.

Omigosh, Ernie came back to say hello and I missed him. Hi Mr. Ernie it's me freedombecki of long ago. Hope we see you more often. Every one of us missed you in one way or another. :huddle:

Last edited:
Hi everyone.

Sorry to hear your front yard is being threatened by imminent domain. :(
Hope something good comes of it.

The Spanish la gauge lessons are still going on. Today I advanced to some colloquialism.
colloquialisms. Some medicine for my bruised wittle heart. At least the headache went away. I took a selenium I bought last month then looked up "15 health benefits of selenium." I was happy to see it alleviates a modicum of allergies that accompany some types of asthma. And today it did just that. It cut my coughing in half. And it seems to have resolved some of the sore throat for those of us with outlandish coughing spells that bring soreness to throat and vocal chord areas in the neck and that hurt too. Ima chirping mess. When you say your prayers thank the good lord you do not have my ever-present issues.

May the road rise to meet you, the wind be always at your back and may God hold each and everyone here in the palm of his loving hand. :huddle: oh yes and if you suffer any asthma symptoms hot green tea with a little honey works wonders.

Elections at the American Legion tonight. I was reelected to a 2 year term as Commander. that starts me on my 10th year in the position. Really need some younger Veterans to step up....
Hombre is a member of the Legion and I bet he would enjoy your chapter, but he couldn't help out in the younger department. :)

Forum List

Back