USGS: Oklahoma Hit By Second-Strongest Quake Ever

How's that fracking working out for ya?

The state has been recording about two-and-a-half earthquakes a day of a magnitude 3 or greater, a rate 600 times greater than observed before 2008, the Oklahoma Geological Survey said in a report last year.

They don't even want to consider alternative methods like Kansas did. I mean........not even a part of the conversation. That's what is so jacked up.

How Oil and Gas Disposal Wells Can Cause Earthquakes

Hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” (a drilling process that injects millions of gallons of water, sand and chemicals under high pressure into a well, cracking the rock and to release natural gas and oil) has only been known to rarely cause earthquakes.

But the disposal of drilling wastewater used in fracking has now been scientifically linked to earthquakes. The fluids used in fracking (and the wastewater that comes back up the well) is disposed of by injecting it into disposal wells deep underground. This is generally regarded as the safest, most cost-efficient way to get rid of it. But in some parts of the country, especially in the Barnett Shale area around Dallas-Fort Worth, it has also been causing earthquakes. And they’re growing both in number and strength.

There is no doubt that the deep injection of waste water from fracking is creating Earthquakes. And Oklahoma is quite near the New Madrid Fault. We have little idea whether these quakes are affecting that fault. A big chance to take.

How Oil and Gas Disposal Wells Can Cause Earthquakes

Hydraulic fracturing, or “fracking,” (a drilling process that injects millions of gallons of water, sand and chemicals under high pressure into a well, cracking the rock and to release natural gas and oil) has only been known to rarely cause earthquakes.

But the disposal of drilling wastewater used in fracking has now been scientifically linked to earthquakes. The fluids used in fracking (and the wastewater that comes back up the well) is disposed of by injecting it into disposal wells deep underground. This is generally regarded as the safest, most cost-efficient way to get rid of it. But in some parts of the country, especially in the Barnett Shale area around Dallas-Fort Worth, it has also been causing earthquakes. And they’re growing both in number and strength.

There is no doubt that the deep injection of waste water from fracking is creating Earthquakes. And Oklahoma is quite near the New Madrid Fault. We have little idea whether these quakes are affecting that fault. A big chance to take.

Actually, they do know in this case. I posted yesterday.
5.1 and 3.9 Magnitude Earthquakes Recorded in Oklahoma

How's that fracking working out for ya?

The state has been recording about two-and-a-half earthquakes a day of a magnitude 3 or greater, a rate 600 times greater than observed before 2008, the Oklahoma Geological Survey said in a report last year.

Fracking in the future is going to be seen in the same way we look back in horror at how old style gold mining using cinnabar (source of mercury) dumped mercury laden waste directly into drinking water reservoirs, lakes and streams, killing fishing and potable water there forever.

As the swarms of earthquakes pick up in frequency along the New Madrid Fault (overdue BTW to unleash a massive quake 8.0 or greater), the aging brittle well casings the frackers keep assuring the public "will keep the benzenes and other toxic stew ingredients out of the aquifers" will crack like crisp potato chips. Capillary and direct polluting will happen to the last sources of fresh drinking water we have. Cancer rates will skyrocket in the public surrounding these drinking sources...

...but hey...oil guys will get rich quick and that's all that ever matters.

If shithead hadn't reimposed offshore and other drilling moratoriums, fracking would be moot.
Thank the hack. And his sheeple.

I"m not so sure about that claim of yours to be honest with you. I seem to recall shell oil striking out in a really big way not too long ago off the coast of Alaska..
And besides, with BP turning our gulf into their personal toilet, why should we let those fuckers start drilling in new places when we can't trust them to be good stewards of the environment !

They didn't even have monitors there until 1960. And that area has been known to be a geologically active area.-
The rocks and faults that underlie the state reveal a history of significant seismic change. The occasional temblor has been known throughout state history to cause minor damage and rattle nerves.

The ongoing earthquake swarm that has shaken the state for the past four years has shaken Oklahomans and led to studies from organizations and universities throughout the region. But it is still unclear how rare the event is historically.

History of earthquakes in Oklahoma | NewsOK.com

It seems odd to me that we even have earthquakes in the middle of the country. Guess they'll have to get used to it.
It seems odd to you that you have earthquakes along the New Madrid Fault (the largest fault in the country)????

OK, I believe that, since that premise makes about as much sense as Global Warming causing the current record cold!!!!

It seems odd to me that we even have earthquakes in the middle of the country. Guess they'll have to get used to it.
It seems odd to you that you have earthquakes along the New Madrid Fault (the largest fault in the country)????

OK, I believe that, since that premise makes about as much sense as Global Warming causing the current record cold!!!!

You don't have to get all butthurt over it..;)

They didn't even have monitors there until 1960. And that area has been known to be a geologically active area.-
The rocks and faults that underlie the state reveal a history of significant seismic change. The occasional temblor has been known throughout state history to cause minor damage and rattle nerves.

The ongoing earthquake swarm that has shaken the state for the past four years has shaken Oklahomans and led to studies from organizations and universities throughout the region. But it is still unclear how rare the event is historically.

Exactly.

If shithead hadn't reimposed offshore and other drilling moratoriums, fracking would be moot.

I"m not so sure about that claim of yours to be honest with you. I seem to recall shell oil striking out in a really big way not too long ago off the coast of Alaska..
And besides, with BP turning our gulf into their personal toilet, why should we let those fuckers start drilling in new places when we can't trust them to be good stewards of the environment !
Obama restricted offshore drilling where we have more than enough to make OPEC a little fish in a big pond. That transcends the entire economy. Instead third world poverty stricken are driven to starvation. I don't think they care about an occasional spill. Not when they're dead.

from the link

The first quake at 11:07 a.m. was followed shortly afterward by a second earthquake, with a magnitude of 3.9, the USGS said. The larger quake was felt through much of the northern part of the state, but no damages or injuries were immediately reported.

and there's some dickbag crying that the gop fearmongers...

Obama restricted offshore drilling where we have more than enough to make OPEC a little fish in a big pond. That transcends the entire economy. Instead third world poverty stricken are driven to starvation. I don't think they care about an occasional spill. Not when they're dead.

The third world poverty stricken are driven to starvation because bad guys show up and take their stuff away from them silly boy! Not because Obama made the oil companies behave.

The oil is still there for the taking..So when there's a need for it, we'll take it. That you can be sure of.

Forum List

Back