US Navy veteran ordered to remove American flag wrap from mailbox

Fang

Platinum Member
Jan 26, 2012
A mailbox covered with the American flag is at the center of a dispute brewing between a retired U.S. veteran and a homeowners association in Florida.

I agree with the HOA. I don't understand why people move into neighborhoods with an HOA and then complain when they get dinged for not following the rules. The HOA says he can fly 4 flags total year round. He can also put the American flag wrap on his mailbox during July 4th - 30 days before and 15 days after. It sounds reasonable to me. The HOA is designed to keep property values up for everyone. They have to draw a line somewhere. I would tell this vet to just fly 1-4 flags and take the wrap off his mailbox 15 days after July 4th or move to a house with no HOA.

A mailbox covered with the American flag is at the center of a dispute brewing between a retired U.S. veteran and a homeowners association in Florida.

I agree with the HOA. I don't understand why people move into neighborhoods with an HOA and then complain when they get dinged for not following the rules. The HOA says he can fly 4 flags total year round. He can also put the American flag wrap on his mailbox during July 4th - 30 days before and 15 days after. It sounds reasonable to me. The HOA is designed to keep property values up for everyone. They have to draw a line somewhere. I would tell this vet to just fly 1-4 flags and take the wrap off his mailbox 15 days after July 4th or move to a house with no HOA.

HOA's do good in helping home values to an extent, but their dues tend to lower property values a bit also.

He might want to check the Flag Code.

good idea-----does the man TAKE IT IN ---when it rains? ---------sheeeeesh -----I take it back---
for my part he CAN DO IT (I am not technically a "retired" officer-------I am "separated" after a short
stint------but I SUPPORT MY FELLOW NAVY GUY

good idea-----does the man TAKE IT IN ---when it rains? ---------sheeeeesh -----I take it back---
for my part he CAN DO IT (I am not technically a "retired" officer-------I am "separated" after a short

"fellow navy guy"? You mean your shipmate? I support him too, but not to the extend he knowingly breaks Flag Code and doesn't follow the HOA rules he signed onto when he bought his place. Work to change the HOA policy from within. (tho granted, this may be his way of doing it)

The important point here is he can fly a flag. He can fly 4 in fact. He can even put the flag on his mailbox during and around the July 4th. The HOA just wants to keep a uniform mailbox during other times. Sounds to me he's just being difficult for no reason.

The important point here is he can fly a flag. He can fly 4 in fact. He can even put the flag on his mailbox during and around the July 4th. The HOA just wants to keep a uniform mailbox during other times. Sounds to me he's just being difficult for no reason.
Or maybe it is for a reason; he is looking for a lawsuit?

An HOA is functionally a very localized government, even if it isn't officially so. As such, it seems to me that it ought to be constrained, as all other levels of government are, by the rules established in the Constitution, including the First Amendment. A state or a city doesn't get to disregard the Constitution by making the excuse that residents thereof voluntarily choose to live there, and therefore to agree to any rules that these levels of government choose to enact regardless of the Constitution. I see no valid reason why an HOA ought to be able to disregard the Constitution on this same excuse.

And the law. Buncha kids got picked up for running around beating up mail boxes when I was a kid. I haven't kept up with the law, perhaps it has changed, but at that point in time, it was considerd a federal offense.

Yep...no sense having pride in our nation. Guess that HOA will defend our nation. Fucking assholes.

So what does the HOA feel about the United States Postal Service delivering the mail in their red , white, and blue truck with American flag on it by a letter carrier who is most likely a veteran?

Florida House District 8 is a Democrat shithole. Go figure the lack of patriotism.
Florida House of Representatives District 8 - Ballotpedia

"fellow navy guy"? You mean your shipmate? I support him too, but not to the extend he knowingly breaks Flag Code and doesn't follow the HOA rules he signed onto when he bought his place. Work to change the HOA policy from within. (tho granted, this may be his way of doing it)

I like that "ship mate"------when I walked into the hospital in which I worked----the captain said "welcome
aboard"

I like that "ship mate"------when I walked into the hospital in which I worked----the captain said "welcome
aboard"
Bodeca is a communist Democrat. She hates the United States and any show of patriotism.

aboard"
Bodeca is a communist Democrat. She hates the United States and any show of patriotism.

oh-----bod is a girl------I am horrified

And what if the homeowner told the HOA to go fuck themselves, I'm not removing it?

What could the HOA do?

Yep...no sense having pride in our nation. Guess that HOA will defend our nation. Fucking assholes.
There was plenty to be proud of in 1945 and the 1969 moon landing was a proud moment too. Got anything else?

There was plenty to be proud of in 1945 and the 1969 moon landing was a proud moment too. Got anything else?
Our whole nation has a proud history. Especially the creation of the most important written document since the Bible...the Constitution of the United States of America.

Be specific and explain how having an American flag on your mailbox effects home prices?

That's not the point. The point is the HOA and the residents living there think it might effect home prices, or they want to have mailboxes that look the same. The ultimate reason really doesn't matter. What matters is it's in the HOA agreement all the resident sign and agree to. The better question is why not just conform to the agreement he signed and fly the American flag outside his house. He can fly 4 flags if he wants to. In that scenario the HOA agreement is followed and he still gets to show his patriotism. Why be an ass for the sake of being an ass over a mailbox?

Forum List

Back