Universal Basic Income Hits the US

georgephillip

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2009
Los Angeles, California
Would you like a lifetime stipend for being born?
Consider moving to Oakland, California:

"IN BRIEF

"Y Combinator, a seed accelerator and startup incubator, plans to inaugurate a short-term 'universal basic income' experiment in Oakland, California; it’s a first step toward a larger, projected five-year study of the guaranteed cost-of-living salary.

"THE OAKLAND EXPERIMENT

"There’s been a lot of talk lately about “basic income”—the notion of a guaranteed financial disbursement to every human being simply for being alive.

"It’s an idea that has garnered a great deal of support in certain circles, for obvious reasons (free money); however, many see it as the natural progression of society…as the only viable way of dealing with issues like increased automation, poverty, etc.

"Indeed, many see in a universal basic income (UBI) an instrument of liberty, and an effective tool for combating the threats of social unrest, economic dislocation, and various other forms of civil strife that are often the corollaries of unemployment."
Universal Basic Income Hits the U.S—Citizens Will Get Paid Just For Being Born
If you believe the purpose of an economy is to provide goods and services, isn't it true the most efficient economy would be the one using the fewest workers?

Where is the incentive to work, to achieve? Competition is part of progress.
I understand a state paying profits to the population, but that is limited to those born in the state that remain there. Considering the cost of living, it hardly offset the expenses.
Even welfare should be contingent on a certain amount of volunteer work and proof of so many hours of helping students with homework or reading to them...not of sitting and watching TV or eating pizza.

images

So is everyone going to be given say... and thousand dollars a month then if they decide to work they get both the endowment and the money from work to add incentive to this program?

After all that's the only fair way to manage it.

Why should anyone work unless they also receive that endowment or simply being alive?

Then the questions of...

How you're going to control the corruption of people getting more than one endowment?

Who's paying for all these endowments?

*****SMILE*****

:)

Where is the incentive to work, to achieve? Competition is part of progress.
I understand a state paying profits to the population, but that is limited to those born in the state that remain there. Considering the cost of living, it hardly offset the expenses.
Even welfare should be contingent on a certain amount of volunteer work and proof of so many hours of helping students with homework or reading to them...not of sitting and watching TV or eating pizza.
What about the...
Robots-working-in-Restaurants-in-China5.jpg

When the Industrial Revolution began it promised to end the need for human labor. Are we there yet? I don't think so, but that day is coming.
There's a Problem in China—Robots

So is everyone going to be given say... and thousand dollars a month then if they decide to work they get both the endowment and the money from work to add incentive to this program?
That's how it is being presented. Every citizen will receive a monthly stipend without means testing and independently of any other source of income.

Replacing current welfare, Social Security, unemployment, and subsidized housing benefits, etc, etc are expected to provide much of the approximate $3 trillion dollar a year that is necessary to provide every US citizen with $10,000 a year.(US adult population is roughly 240 million)

This is the best plan. And cheapest. And yes everyone receives it. Even those who choose to work. $1000 a month. Cheaper than current welfare

This is the best plan. And cheapest. And yes everyone receives it. Even those who choose to work. $1000 a month. Cheaper than current welfare
"From each according to his abilities to each according to her needs"
"Marx delineated the specific conditions under which such a creed would be applicable—a society where technology and social organization had substantially eliminated the need for physical labor in the production of things, where 'labor has become not only a means of life but life's prime want'.[12]

"Marx explained his belief that, in such a society, each person would be motivated to work for the good of society despite the absence of a social mechanism compelling them to work, because work would have become a pleasurable and creative activity."
From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That's how it is being presented. Every citizen will receive a monthly stipend without means testing and independently of any other source of income.

We know this is a Liberal idea. It involves something for nothing.

Replacing current welfare, Social Security, unemployment, and subsidized housing benefits, etc, etc are expected to provide much of the approximate $3 trillion dollar a year that is necessary to provide every US citizen with $10,000 a year.(US adult population is roughly 240 million)

It's not replacing welfare, unemployment, subsidies, etc. for those on them. It's calling them by a different name. If a freeloader is getting those handouts now and they will be getting this instead, they're still getting something for nothing and not contributing to the cost of it.

If the government starts calling a tax a fee but the amount is the same, there is no difference other than the name.

It's not replacing welfare, unemployment, subsidies, etc. for those on them. It's calling them by a different name. If a freeloader is getting those handouts now and they will be getting this instead, they're still getting something for nothing and not contributing to the cost of it.

If the government starts calling a tax a fee but the amount is the same, there is no difference other than the name.

Who cares what it's called if it actually saves us money.

Plus, as anyone with a brain can see, we are approaching a point that manual labor jobs are becoming extinct.

Your dumb ass can say "better yourself" all you want, but the fact remains , there is only so much demand for high skilled workers. Telling people "go get a better job" does not suddenly create a demand for employees at those other jobs.

Use your noggin for something other than a hat rack and think for yourself rather than join in the partisan stupidity.

There of course will have to be safe guards and the UBI should only be available to US citizens who have at least one parent who is a US citizen OR who are age 18 or older. Meaning the so called anchor babies are shit out of luck.

Universal basic income, universal health insurance, universal education........

For universal marxist c---ts !!! Hail Che Guevara !

Plus, as anyone with a brain can see, we are approaching a point that manual labor jobs are becoming extinct.

Your dumb ass can say "better yourself" all you want, but the fact remains , there is only so much demand for high skilled workers. Telling people "go get a better job" does not suddenly create a demand for employees at those other jobs.

Use your noggin for something other than a hat rack and think for yourself rather than join in the partisan stupidity.

There of course will have to be safe guards and the UBI should only be available to US citizens who have at least one parent who is a US citizen OR who are age 18 or older. Meaning the so called anchor babies are shit out of luck.

The point was that it won't save money. If I pay a tax of a certain amount then the government starts calling it a fee and it's the same amount, the cost is the same.

The problem with those to whom we say "better yourself" is that when many had a chance to do so, they didn't take it. When a person drops out of high school, it drastically reduces their earning potential. When, based on their low level skills, they can't make enough to support themselves, why does it suddenly become the responsibility of taxpayers and business owners to offset a choice that person made?

I use my head to think. If freeloaders are getting a set amount through social welfare programs and they get that same amount through something like this, the costs is the same to those forced to fund it. I can figure out it won't save money. Why can't you?

The problem is while everyone is supposed to benefit from these nonsense ideas, only certain ones of us are funding them while those benefiting the most provide nothing.

If the benefits are supposed to be universal, why aren't the costs?

The point was that it won't save money. If I pay a tax of a certain amount then the government starts calling it a fee and it's the same amount, the cost is the same.

The problem with those to whom we say "better yourself" is that when many had a chance to do so, they didn't take it. When a person drops out of high school, it drastically reduces their earning potential. When, based on their low level skills, they can't make enough to support themselves, why does it suddenly become the responsibility of taxpayers and business owners to offset a choice that person made?

I use my head to think. If freeloaders are getting a set amount through social welfare programs and they get that same amount through something like this, the costs is the same to those forced to fund it. I can figure out it won't save money. Why can't you?

You are wrong.

At current levels when you combine welfare spending with medicare and SS , we spend FAR more than $1K per month per US citizen. THat's just basic math.

Here's a fun bonus, with the UBI you could eliminate the ACA. Oh, you might keep the mandate and make people buy insurance if you like but you could rid of all the BS

The problem is while everyone is supposed to benefit from these nonsense ideas, only certain ones of us are funding them while those benefiting the most provide nothing.

Why don't you educate yourself.

Let's look at JUST SNAP ( or food stamps if you prefer) currently , there is NO sales tax collected on food stamp purchases. Why would there be? But with a UBI, that would be YOUR money and whatever YOU choose to spend on food, would be taxed (in areas that charge a sales tax on food obviously) so right there is a win for local governments.

You are wrong.

At current levels when you combine welfare spending with medicare and SS , we spend FAR more than $1K per month per US citizen. THat's just basic math.

Here's a fun bonus, with the UBI you could eliminate the ACA. Oh, you might keep the mandate and make people buy insurance if you like but you could rid of all the BS

Here's a novel idea. Do neither welfare nor this. If you see someone that needs help and you deem it's a worthwhile cause, provide them help. I'll do the same. I won't make the determination on your behalf if you don't make it on mine. That way all these people like georgephillip that claim they care about their fellow man and his needs will be able to prove their care to the level they say they care.

With my proposal, there is $0 per month spent. Imagine the savings and all the help those self proclaimed bleeding hearts would provide to those they claim to care about.

Why don't you educate yourself.

Let's look at JUST SNAP ( or food stamps if you prefer) currently , there is NO sales tax collected on food stamp purchases. Why would there be? But with a UBI, that would be YOUR money and whatever YOU choose to spend on food, would be taxed (in areas that charge a sales tax on food obviously) so right there is a win for local governments.

I'm am educated. That's why I don't have to have the government come up with programs to provide me with universal basic income. I provide it to myself and then some.

They actually tried this in Canada and I believe some town in... Minnesota. As I can recall the test in the states came to a conclusion but the census taker was unable to get adequate information from the residents to attest to its viability, the project was abandoned and nothing more was heard on it. I'll attempt to find the article link when I get home.

I believe the story in Canada was similar, though I admit I cannot pull that image up in my head as I didn't pay much attention to their attempt.

Forum List

Back