Union Uniform Cuff Button Found at Little Big Horn by Tourists

Weatherman2020

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2013
Right coast, classified
1660220265149.png

1660220468904.png

If you like history, this battlefield is a must do. Your minds eye can easily recreate the events of the battle over the open terrain.

Yesterday (Tuesday) a Civil War General Service cuff button was found by visitors in the park. They did right thing. They left the button where it was found. They took a photo and reported it to park staff.

These objects are still telling the story of the battle. If artifacts found on the field are removed or taken, that part of the story is lost.

The park is truly grateful for the visitors yesterday who reported the find.

The button was properly collected as a field collection and will go into the museum collection.

Pretty cool. I once had a bunch of artifacts that a local treasure hunter found with his metal detector, on some property adjacent to the Little Big Horn battle site. These were some spent 45-70 cartridges...

custer1.jpg

custer2.jpg

custer3.jpg

custer4.jpg

I once saw a map that showed the fired/dropped cartridges that were found/marked around the LBH battlefield. It spoke volumes about the last minutes of Custer's command. Try as I might I can't find it now.

You can tell a lot about a engagement by fired/dropped cartridges/bullets of the Indian War and the CW era.

Years ago I was relic hunting a area in my AO and found a bunch of Spencer Carbine fired cases behind a limestone outcropping.....On the other side of it I found several CS Gardner bullets that had smacked up against the outcropping and simply dropped down at it's base.

Clear evidence of some Yankee cavalryman firing behind the outcropping and some CS soldier was shooting at him.

In fact I could tell by the Gardner's deformation which direction he was firing from and given the lay of the land he was likely about 80 yards away shooting from behind the cover of a home/out buildings that were there at the time. There was only the stone foundations left by then.....It was a camp used by both sides and was fought over at least twice in two small but pitched battles.

Sadly the whole place is covered by a Walmart/Lowes/chain eateries now.

Good advice, don't pick up an artifact in a national park or you could be charged with a serious crime. Junkies and bums might be able to camp and shit in state parks but federal Park Rangers take their jobs very seriously.

View attachment 680636
View attachment 680638
If you like history, this battlefield is a must do. Your minds eye can easily recreate the events of the battle over the open terrain.

Yesterday (Tuesday) a Civil War General Service cuff button was found by visitors in the park. They did right thing. They left the button where it was found. They took a photo and reported it to park staff.

These objects are still telling the story of the battle. If artifacts found on the field are removed or taken, that part of the story is lost.

The park is truly grateful for the visitors yesterday who reported the find.

The button was properly collected as a field collection and will go into the museum collection.
very cool. Well for us anyway, not them.

I once saw a map that showed the fired/dropped cartridges that were found/marked around the LBH battlefield. It spoke volumes about the last minutes of Custer's command. Try as I might I can't find it now.

You can tell a lot about a engagement by fired/dropped cartridges/bullets of the Indian War and the CW era.

Years ago I was relic hunting a area in my AO and found a bunch of Spencer Carbine fired cases behind a limestone outcropping.....On the other side of it I found several CS Gardner bullets that had smacked up against the outcropping and simply dropped down at it's base.

Clear evidence of some Yankee cavalryman firing behind the outcropping and some CS soldier was shooting at him.

In fact I could tell by the Gardner's deformation which direction he was firing from and given the lay of the land he was likely about 80 yards away shooting from behind the cover of a home/out buildings that were there at the time. There was only the stone foundations left by then.....It was a camp used by both sides and was fought over at least twice in two small but pitched battles.

Sadly the whole place is covered by a Walmart/Lowes/chain eateries now.
Being there I saw how it was such a mobile battle. Most think it was just them on a hill surrounded. Which was just the final conclusion.

Forum List

Back