Uncancelled History with Douglas Murray | EP. 01 Robert E. Lee

It would sure be nice to read posts about the Great General Robert E. Lee.
I am sure had Grant had the resources of Lee, he would have given his surrender to Lee and not the other way around.
I want to mention as well the defense put up by the South was just and done well even if it ended up failing.
Point 1. The waging of war due to the lost fort by the Union is the wrong way to see this. Why? Nobody in the fort was so much as injured by the very very inadequate cannon fire by the South. The South might as well have shot pickle balls at the fort.
Point 2. The actual invasion was engaged in by Lincoln. Lincoln had not exhausted solutions.
We had two issues. #1 was slavery. The South to conserve slavery left the union. Abe dedicated his war to reversing the removal of states.
#2. The issue of the fort. As said earlier, given there were no injuries due to the South cannon fire, which actually was effective in evacuating the Fort, Abe could not use that as his excuse.

Already posted a link, dumbass, See, you never have anything but stupid shit posting. Now proceed to keep 'Posting Last' for the next 20 pages and hoping to bore me to death. Volker told your Hero Reagan to go fuck himself and repealed his 'Reagnomcs' rubbish after about a year, and began raising taxes on little people from then on, while morons like you fell for the 'tax cuts' lie.
You never heard of presidents reducing taxes in the past prior to Reagan? I remind you of John Kennedy then.

Your trolling, Mushroom, makes no sense whatsoever. Ask me a sensible question.

I clearly listed the cases where individuals were tried for treason against a state. The actual people who were charged, when, and the actual reason why that was done. And your response was a brief insult and nothing more.

Heck, I will do it even better. What exactly did General Thomas do that made him a Traitor to Virginia? For that to have been even possible, he would have had to actually taken up arms in Virginia. And any moron who knows the Civil War should know that General Thomas did not even fight in Virginia. He served in Kentucky and Tennessee. Until late in the war when he was sent to fight in Georgia. He did not serve in Virginia during the war, therefore in no way could he have ever been charged with "Treason against Virginia".

Those are facts, cold hard facts. But I know you are going to simply ignore that and likely toss around more insults. To you, facts and reality do not matter only your beliefs. And anybody that does not share your beliefs is an idiot.

If you are saying that people could be tried for treason against a state, I believe that Joseph Smith was so charged by Missouri in 1838. If Thomas, by your criteria, served the Union and fought in VA, then he could be tried for treason. The state of VA, as part of a nation in which GA was confederated with VA and other states, could try him for treason against the Confederacy.

Stop gaslighting. Thank you for asking the question. Your personal attacks are silly and useless. Stop trolling and get rolling.

could try him for treason against the Confederacy.

Logic failure once again. He was not a citizen of the Confederacy, therefore he could not be tried by them for treason.

You are aware of the absolutely horrible logic here, right? Only the citizen of a nation can be tried for treason. And General Thomas was never a citizen of the Confederacy.

You just continue to make silly claims after silly claims, that have absolutely no basis in any kind of facts or logic.

That literally makes as much logical sense as say trying to charge and convict General Tojo for treason against the United States for WWII. Or charging Field Marshal Keitel of treason against England.

Look, you obviously have absolutely no idea what you are even talking about here. And each time you add something even more stupid that I can barely believe it.

You really should just quit, you really do not have any kind of clue at all.

Lee was a traitor who took up arms against his country.
He was also a slave owner who tortured slaves who ran away
As a lifelong military man, Lee had no use for slaves. His wife owned several slaves. Upon her death, Lee had no interest or need for slaves and let them go. At the time a slave freed by manumission had 24 hours to leave the state or be reinstated as a slave. Many slaves were just let go. As long as no one reported a runaway they were free to do whatever they wished.

As a lifelong military man, Lee had no use for slaves. His wife owned several slaves. Upon her death, Lee had no interest or need for slaves and let them go. At the time a slave freed by manumission had 24 hours to leave the state or be reinstated as a slave. Many slaves were just let go. As long as no one reported a runaway they were free to do whatever they wished.

And many simply chose to remain. The Lees were known as kindly owners, and treated most of them well. That was actually not uncommon after the war. The former owners that treated them with respect quite often had their former slaves remain as employees or sharecroppers. Those who were harsh and brutal had them depart as quickly as they could to look for somewhere else.

And indeed, Lee had little use for slaves. He was a career soldier, and as such saw no use for them. The slaves in his household were not his, but his wife's. And most of them were freed by Major Lee as he was the executor of his father-in-law's estate when he died in 1857. And in his will it required all of the slaves to be emancipated within five years. And as at that time manumission in Virginia was technically illegal he was trying to find a way to do that without breaking the law of Virginia. As if he had freed them he himself could have been put in jail for violating the law. But during the war and in following the will he did release all of the slaves in 1862. By that time the Civil War was already underway, and the state of Virginia was not about to try and charge their leading General with breaking the law.

Yes, Thomas was a citizen of the CSA in that he was a citizen of VA. To insist otherwise is to reveal yourself as a mouthbreahter. You are not the decided or arbiter on this forum. The facts are. I bet you are a rightwing nationali8st, populist, and Trumpykins. Go join MartyBegan in the corner,

Thomas, as a citizen of VA, was a citizen of the CSA.

Mushroom No, he was not. That claim is absolutely beyond retarded. Are you claiming he was a slave, and had no choice?

Sorry, I can't deal with this level of absolute insanity any more. He was never a citizen of the CSA. Period.

Forum List

Back