U.S. Marines Create a Law Enforcement Battalion!

MikeK

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2010
Brick, New Jersey
II Marine Expeditionary Force > Units > 2nd Law Enforcement Battalion > Activation

Everything I've been able to find concerning this surprising innovation carefully suggests an almost benevolent purpose for assigning a fundamentally civilian purpose to what essentially and traditionally has been an amphibious military strike force the primary usefulness of which is efficiently aggressive and destructive homicidal violence.

Marine Corps "Law Enforcement Battalions?" I can't help thinking there is something suspiciously ominous about that designation. It's like advertising sterilized bayonets. First of all, the U.S. Army already fields MP companies which are perfectly suited to fulfilling the functions ascribed to these new Marine battalions -- allegedly for fulfillment in places like Afghanistan.

I am recalling the massacre of American civilians, including 21 innocent children, at Waco, Texas, which was carried out with military assistance -- which I choose to regard as participation.

I am an ex-Marine. Although I served back in the fifties the Corps as I remember it is in no way suitable for law enforcement purposes. Even though the National Guard is far more adaptable to such a relatively peaceful function, remember what they did at Kent State University.

Unless the Marine Corps has abandoned the principles that made it a legend, here's all you need to know:

Semper Fidelis (always faithful)

and

Death Before Dishonor.

'Nuff said.

The Professor: Former radio-telegraph operator and member of Second ANGLIO (Air and Naval Gunfire Liaison Company), USMC.

II Marine Expeditionary Force > Units > 2nd Law Enforcement Battalion > Activation

Everything I've been able to find concerning this surprising innovation carefully suggests an almost benevolent purpose for assigning a fundamentally civilian purpose to what essentially and traditionally has been an amphibious military strike force the primary usefulness of which is efficiently aggressive and destructive homicidal violence.

Marine Corps "Law Enforcement Battalions?" I can't help thinking there is something suspiciously ominous about that designation. It's like advertising sterilized bayonets. First of all, the U.S. Army already fields MP companies which are perfectly suited to fulfilling the functions ascribed to these new Marine battalions -- allegedly for fulfillment in places like Afghanistan.

I am recalling the massacre of American civilians, including 21 innocent children, at Waco, Texas, which was carried out with military assistance -- which I choose to regard as participation.

I am an ex-Marine. Although I served back in the fifties the Corps as I remember it is in no way suitable for law enforcement purposes. Even though the National Guard is far more adaptable to such a relatively peaceful function, remember what they did at Kent State University.

You never heard of military police?

Mods? Wanna move this to crazy conspiracy theories?

Why? What is conspiratorial about it smart guy?

If you don't know the difference between military police and the concept of law enforcement, which is strictly a civilian activity, you have much to learn.

Someone claiming, without providing any evidence other than opinion and baseless conjecture, that the creation of an LE battalion in the marines has "benevolent purpose" and "suspiciously ominous" is conspiratorial.

Bonus = the tired Guy Fawkes mask, which is often part of the tin-hatter uniform.

Someone claiming, without providing any evidence other than opinion and baseless conjecture, that the creation of an LE battalion in the marines has "benevolent purpose" and "suspiciously ominous" is conspiratorial.

Bonus = the tired Guy Fawkes mask, which is often part of the tin-hatter uniform.

The Military is BARRED by law from acting as Law Enforcement. There are not enough Marines to fill out the required 3 Combat Divisions or rather the 9 Infantry Regiments. Where exactly will they get MPs to form Law enforcement battalions that have no actual purpose in the Military?

This is not a conspiracy. It is a legit military question about function, the law and manpower requirements.

The current USMC commandant, General Amos, is the first Marine to be appointed Commandant without having commanded ground troops. Amos was a pilot and many Marines say he is nothing more than a political hack. Amos, like most Marine commanders, initially resisted the order to allow overt homosexuals in the Marines and after a conference with the president switched his view. His handling of the infamous "pissing case" was roundly criticized as an example of profound lack of leadership and dishonorable conduct. It's unclear why a relatively small branch of the US Military thinks it needs a full battalion of Military Police but you can count on Amos to go along with anything the Hussein administration suggests.

Battalion sized MP outfits are common in the Army's infantry and heavy divisions.

USMC catching up with TO&E: nothing more.

Battalion sized MP outfits are common in the Army's infantry and heavy divisions.

They cut the end strength of the Marine Corps, even before that the Marine Corps only fielded 7 of the 9 Infantry Regiments required for a 3 full Divisions. They do NOT have the man power to create MP Battalions and they have no mission reason to do it.

They cut the end strength of the Marine Corps, even before that the Marine Corps only fielded 7 of the 9 Infantry Regiments required for a 3 full Divisions. They do NOT have the man power to create MP Battalions and they have no mission reason to do it.

Apparently, the brass disagree with you.

For what purpose?

The Marine Corps is not the Army. There is a very distinct difference in the two branches of the U.S. Armed Forces. Unless things have changed significantly since I was in the Corps there is absolutely no conceivable purpose for a battalion of law enforcement personnel in that Standing Ready Amphibious Strike Force.

The Marine Corps has one purpose -- to move in fast, destroy things, and kill people.

Yes. And the question is why? Whose laws are these Marines intended to enforce?

Well, I can only speak from what are esentially press releases from the Marine Corps, but their stated purpose is to function as MPs and trainers overseas.

Well, I can only speak from what are esentially press releases from the Marine Corps, but their stated purpose is to function as MPs and trainers overseas.
What would you expect them to say?

To me, this situation is analogous to the Air Force announcing it is forming an anti-submarine unit. It makes no sense.

Something to keep in mind; the Posse Comitatus Act is a federal law which forbids any level of participation by U.S. Armed Forces in civilian law enforcement activities and engagements. But that law was surreptitiously violated in facilitating the massacre of 80+ U.S citizens, including 21 children, at Waco, Texas, in 1993. I haven't forgotten that disgraceful event, which is why I don't like the sound of this "Marine Corps Law Enforcement Batallion" business.

As I've already said, there is something suspiciously ominous about it. And those who are inclined to dismiss the revelation without a second thought are likely to trust leaders like Ronald Reagan, Bill Clinton, George W. Bush, and Barack Obama.

You're a vet, right?

This makes perfect sense.....a rarity with my jar-headed friends...:tongue:

"Traditionally, each element of the Marine Air Ground Task Force (2nd Marine Division, 2nd Marine Logistics Group and 2nd Marine Air Wing) would employ a company of their own military policemen. With the consolidation of all military policemen into a battalion, the battalion staff can focus on training the MP’s to specific standards based on the mission requirements of a requesting unit.

“The consolidation of law enforcement Marines will ensure the battalion is focusing on missions that require the skill set of these Marines,” said Capt. Mark Bailey, 2nd LEB’s operations officer."

"The structuring of Marine Corps military police into battalions first occurred during World War II, in which the provost marshal of the Far East Command realized that as operations pushed further into the Pacific Theater, transporting prisoners of war through friendly lines would no longer be a feasible option."
2nd Law Enforcement Battalion activated at Camp Lejeune > II Marine Expeditionary Force > News Article

For what purpose?

The Marine Corps is not the Army. There is a very distinct difference in the two branches of the U.S. Armed Forces. Unless things have changed significantly since I was in the Corps there is absolutely no conceivable purpose for a battalion of law enforcement personnel in that Standing Ready Amphibious Strike Force.

The Marine Corps has one purpose -- to move in fast, destroy things, and kill people.

Only one small addition to your otherwise spot on post.

The OTHER purpose of the Marines is as body-guards for the officer class on sea duty.

It has always been thus, too.

I got two things out of that release, first the Marines saw a specific need the Navy SPs (plus all the Marine specialties) weren't completely fulfilling and second the primary function of every Marine is basically as a grunt. This provides civilian transferable skills to grunts who otherwise might not have those opportunities after leaving military service.
Nothing nefarious about it except in the minds of the paranoid.........

Forum List

Back