U.S. colleges scramble after new Trump order on foreign students

GOD I love President Trump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He's got it.

If it is online.....you can go to your countries and learn online there!

LOVE TRUMP! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Assuming you have decent internet.

huh? why do you say that?????

weird

If a student is from a country without decent internet, how will they do online courses from their home country?

then go home.

because there are not "living" classes anyway

huh? Why do they have to be living classes during the temporary disruption caused by the pandemic?

Because that's the reason they came and were admitted to this country in the first place. No classes, no need to be here.

There are millions of foreign students. So let me stick it to your thick skull and the rest of you.

1. Billions of $ are already lost from Trump stupidity even before the Covid-19.
2. Billions $!more will be lost by deporting these foreign students.
3. These students pay premiums on rents of apartments or condos.
4. They spent $ billions on clothings, shoes, iPhones, WiFi, furnitures, entertainments and foods.

All of those will be a lost of American incomes.

Oh really......well if that's the case, why don't we let the entire Fn world into the United States? If a few million foreigners can do that, imagine what 7.3 billion people could do with our economy!

Then you wonder why we absolutely need to keep people with your mentality out of power.

Talk a massive and unstable strawman.

How so? The straw man is on your side, not ours.

This is such a reoccurring leftist argument it's almost laughable.

When we talk about how many people are on welfare, the left tells us they are benefitting our economy, as if they would otherwise not eat or buy things without it. When we object to increased national minimum wage, the left tells us how many people will get off of welfare. When we talk about the illegal immigrants, the left tells us how they participate in our economy instead of what it actually costs us taxpayers to have them here. Now we are talking about sending foreigners back home because there is no need for them to be here since they are not physically attending schools--which is why they are granted Visa's in the fist place, and again, how much we will suffer economically without them.

It's really a joke already to us on the right, because every single leftist position, you find some way to lie how it's to our economical benefit.
No, it is your strawman. What does that have to do with foreign students coming here and paying us for an education?

Strawman.

They can't pay us from their country?

Until we can get a hold of this virus problem, I'm not crazy about anybody coming into this country for any reason yet alone students we don't need so they can buy pop-tarts and rent rooms here. We'll do just fine without them, and they will have to figure out another way to get their education if they don't want to go online in their country, or wait until we have some sort of control of this virus.

You are all missing the main point. A huge point. Trump had nothing to do with these schools going to all online classes. They did that all on their own. Since they will not be attending physical classes there is no need for them to be physically present.
I think the bigger point is through all of this Chinese Kung Flu lock down crap colleges have let the cat out of the bag. They can offer you classes online. You don’t need to be there absorbing a full semester of their bullshit to learn what you’re after. You also can’t sell people on needing dark ages lesbian theory in basket weaving for trans knights as an actual class you have to take to graduate.

You can get a full Harvard education online and it’s worth about a thousand bucks a semester.

Not entirely true, or they would. Not all classes translate well on line, there is also a lot to be said for The entire college experience, developing independence, student peer interactions as well as in person faculty/student interactions. Otherwise they would do it.
Yes. I agree that there is something better about the college experience, but it is now gone. Classes are online. It is over. Higher ed just got flushed by a virus.

It will never be the same.

It will not be the same...but I can’t see it totally online either. College....work....all that will be changed.

And another EO, that makes no sense. Is it because Trump is impotent to affect the opening of public schools under local control? Wants to destroy higher education? Is pissed at Harvard? This new order contradicts previous policy regarding Covid....what a mess.

Many U.S. colleges were scrambling on Tuesday to modify plans for the fall semester in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic a day after the Trump administration issued an order that could force tens of thousands of foreign students to leave the country if their schools hold all classes online.
The announcement blindsided academic institutions grappling with the logistical challenges of safely resuming classes, particularly after the federal government had granted exceptions to the rules limiting online learning for foreign students when colleges and universities in March rushed to shutter campuses and move to online classes as the pandemic forced lockdowns.

There are more than a million foreign students at U.S. colleges and universities, and many schools depend on revenue from foreign students, who often pay full tuition.
The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency said institutions moving entirely to online learning must submit plans to the agency by July 15. Schools that will use only in-person learning, shortened or delayed classes, or a blend of in-person and online learning must submit plans by Aug. 1.
Frankly, I don't much care about this one.

Won't there be more seats in those universities for American kids, if we chase some of the foreign kids back home?
Doubtful. A lot of schools are willing to take an unlimited number of qualified students.
Seats are not a consideration. The classes are on line a school can handle many more students if they are not limited by classroom size and number of seats.
Actually, it isn’t that simple as straightforward numbers. The teacher has to be able to engage the students, reach all of them, break them into smaller if needed.

There are millions of foreign students. So let me stick it to your thick skull and the rest of you.

1. Billions of $ are already lost from Trump stupidity even before the Covid-19.
4. They spent $ billions on clothings, shoes, iPhones, WiFi, furnitures, entertainments and foods.

Oh really......well if that's the case, why don't we let the entire Fn world into the United States? If a few million foreigners can do that, imagine what 7.3 billion people could do with our economy!

Then you wonder why we absolutely need to keep people with your mentality out of power.

When we talk about how many people are on welfare, the left tells us they are benefitting our economy, as if they would otherwise not eat or buy things without it. When we object to increased national minimum wage, the left tells us how many people will get off of welfare. When we talk about the illegal immigrants, the left tells us how they participate in our economy instead of what it actually costs us taxpayers to have them here. Now we are talking about sending foreigners back home because there is no need for them to be here since they are not physically attending schools--which is why they are granted Visa's in the fist place, and again, how much we will suffer economically without them.

It's really a joke already to us on the right, because every single leftist position, you find some way to lie how it's to our economical benefit.
No, it is your strawman. What does that have to do with foreign students coming here and paying us for an education?

Strawman.

Until we can get a hold of this virus problem, I'm not crazy about anybody coming into this country for any reason yet alone students we don't need so they can buy pop-tarts and rent rooms here. We'll do just fine without them, and they will have to figure out another way to get their education if they don't want to go online in their country, or wait until we have some sort of control of this virus.
Of course they can, but tech availability is not always there.

Strawman.

That could be the case, but I doubt an entire country is incapable from getting online. Let their government provide that technology. After all, if we are going to provide education for their people, giving them a facility to get online is the least they can do.

I'm sorry, but we can't solve everybody's problems around the world.

Strawman.

That could be the case, but I doubt an entire country is incapable from getting online. Let their government provide that technology. After all, if we are going to provide education for their people, giving them a facility to get online is the least they can do.

You make it sound like they are going to college here for free. Have you considered exactly how much money this would be kicking out of our economy?

Strawman.

You make it sound like they are going to college here for free. Have you considered exactly how much money this would be kicking out of our economy?

Harvard isn't going to keep charging them tuition?

Strawman.

Yes, the left has used that straw man repeatedly as I explained to Coyote. If we don't provide illegals with licenses, they will drive without licenses making them more dangerous to the rest of us. If we don't increase the national minimum wage, our welfare will never go down. If we provide socialized healthcare, our businesses would flourish because they would have so much more money to pay their workers. If we get rid of illegals, the price of our tomatoes will skyrocket, and our economy suffer because they buy things too. If we don't provide food stamps, some people will quit eating and hurt our farming industry. If we don't provide free college, people will never get a good paying job and end up on welfare. Yada, yada, yada, yada.

In this particular instance, the left doesn't' care about foreign kids coming here to learn, they care about getting them into the country, just like the illegals. Visa overstays are a huge problem when it comes to our immigration situation, and the Democrats know this all too well. So like I said, it's a straw man argument that our economy will suffer without them. We'll be just fine.

How? Foreign students don’t impact American students.
Wrong

china makes up 27% of the foreign students and wields great clout within our universities as it does over the NBA

China was pouring millions of dollars into US universities. A large percentage of students at Harvard are there on full scholarship. Foreign students all pay full freight - no scholarship for them, so the Ivy League schools need the high paying foreign students to fund all those scholarships for American students.

More so the students from the Middle East. The African and Asian countries have no high level western style universities to send the leaders to for an education. Having all of these foreign students living and working in the USA is good for foreign relations too. These people will be tomorrow's world leaders so them being educated and having a positive view of the USA would be a good thing for the future.

Harvard University and the Massacusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) sued Trump today, for this EO:

Canada runs similar foreign student programs at our universities. We're keeping the students in Canada and NOT sending them home. It's safter to leave them where they are than to start shipping them all over the country, but as always, Trump has done the thing that will do the most damage.

All of these students came from rich families. My cousin has rented his second house to students from Singapore in Irvine, Ca walking distance to UCI. Most he can get was $2,500 if he rented it to a US family. There are 4 of them in a 3 bedroom house, charge them $1,000 each. . Each of them has expensive cars, expensive shoes, clothing etc. etc.

That is just one example. Deporting them will be a lost of American incomes.

And another EO, that makes no sense. Is it because Trump is impotent to affect the opening of public schools under local control? Wants to destroy higher education? Is pissed at Harvard? This new order contradicts previous policy regarding Covid....what a mess.

Many U.S. colleges were scrambling on Tuesday to modify plans for the fall semester in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic a day after the Trump administration issued an order that could force tens of thousands of foreign students to leave the country if their schools hold all classes online.
The announcement blindsided academic institutions grappling with the logistical challenges of safely resuming classes, particularly after the federal government had granted exceptions to the rules limiting online learning for foreign students when colleges and universities in March rushed to shutter campuses and move to online classes as the pandemic forced lockdowns.

There are more than a million foreign students at U.S. colleges and universities, and many schools depend on revenue from foreign students, who often pay full tuition.
The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency said institutions moving entirely to online learning must submit plans to the agency by July 15. Schools that will use only in-person learning, shortened or delayed classes, or a blend of in-person and online learning must submit plans by Aug. 1.
With the examples of higher education now being antifa running around destroying shit, you may want another example.

Wrong

china makes up 27% of the foreign students and wields great clout within our universities as it does over the NBA

China was pouring millions of dollars into US universities. A large percentage of students at Harvard are there on full scholarship. Foreign students all pay full freight - no scholarship for them, so the Ivy League schools need the high paying foreign students to fund all those scholarships for American students.

More so the students from the Middle East. The African and Asian countries have no high level western style universities to send the leaders to for an education. Having all of these foreign students living and working in the USA is good for foreign relations too. These people will be tomorrow's world leaders so them being educated and having a positive view of the USA would be a good thing for the future.

Harvard University and the Massacusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) sued Trump today, for this EO:

Canada runs similar foreign student programs at our universities. We're keeping the students in Canada and NOT sending them home. It's safter to leave them where they are than to start shipping them all over the country, but as always, Trump has done the thing that will do the most damage.

All of these students came from rich families. My cousin has rented his second house to students from Singapore in Irvine, Ca walking distance to UCI. Most he can get was $2,500 if he rented it to a US family. There are 4 of them in a 3 bedroom house, charge them $1,000 each. . Each of them has expensive cars, expensive shoes, clothing etc. etc.

I only want to deport the chinese students

the rest of the world is ok

With the examples of higher education now being antifa running around destroying shit, you may want another example.
Oh brother. What stupid comparison. Examples of higher education: businessmen, scientists, teachers public and private, doctors, etc etc. But the only thing you think of is a small group of thugs given disproportio ate attention by the rightwing.

Strawman.

Yes, the left has used that straw man repeatedly as I explained to Coyote. If we don't provide illegals with licenses, they will drive without licenses making them more dangerous to the rest of us. If we don't increase the national minimum wage, our welfare will never go down. If we provide socialized healthcare, our businesses would flourish because they would have so much more money to pay their workers. If we get rid of illegals, the price of our tomatoes will skyrocket, and our economy suffer because they buy things too. If we don't provide food stamps, some people will quit eating and hurt our farming industry. If we don't provide free college, people will never get a good paying job and end up on welfare. Yada, yada, yada, yada.

*** In this particular instance, the left doesn't' care about foreign kids coming here to learn, they care about getting them into the country, just like the illegals. Visa overstays are a huge problem when it comes to our immigration situation, and the Democrats know this all too well. So like I said, it's a straw man argument that our economy will suffer without them. We'll be just fine.

*** From your last paragraph. That is totally HOGWASH. An opinion from you as a truck driver? TRUCK DIVER?

1. Foreign students are from rich families that has nothing to do with over stay visas. The over stay visas you are babbling are the tourist. If they graduated with masters what good does it do if they can’t get a job?

2. illegals and student visas are 2 different categories. I’m sure you don’t know the differences.

3. Are you saying that only the left are making money or letting these students comes to America and study? Only the left? Are you really this ignorant?

4. Right now America needs all the money that they can pumps to our economy....... Apparently you are so ignorant that you don’t even know the impact of these millions foreign students to our economy.

Just one of the hundreds where they pump money to our economy. They leases cars. Just imagine how much they spent in leasing cars?

Wrong

I only want to deport the chinese students

the rest of the world is ok

Why? Deporting any foreign students are NOT in the best interest of America. This is one example how Trump screwingup this country.

Everything Trump touches turns to shit. We have three years of evidence of this as President, and decades as a businessman in NYC to further validate this, but his cult remains oblivious, wearing blinders to his history of ineptitude. You knew he would target education with his choice of DeVoss, and now he is going after how these colleges are profitable.

Trump University anyone?

Yes, everything Trump touches turns to shit. Our economy turned to shit before the worldwide virus, our record low unemployment for every minority group in the US turned to shit before the virus, our border turned to shit and still is, our consumer confidence in June turned to shit, our stock market turned to shit in spite of a pandemic never seen before by most any living human on the planet, and our trade agreements turned to shit.

Let's all hope and pray for more shit in our future.

In short Trump is full of shit. Or Trump is a piece of shit.

Well, it seems entire online classes for immigrants would have got them kicked out anyways because there was a limit on them. Obviously, if all were online, they woukd exceed the limit.
Im trying to find the EO and I cant. Do you have a link?

Try looking at this another way, Harley. What is the point of expelling the foreign students? What does it benefit the USA if these students sent are home? Is there a valid reason for this or is this just another random act of cruelty by this administration.

What this does is harm these for-profit universities and the American economy. These students are paying top dollar to come to American universities, plus room, board, and living expenses, adding to the local economies. Their tuition helps subsidize scholarships for American students, and provides jobs for the restaurants, bars, and service industry that caters to the students.

Strawman.

How in the world you can post something this dumb Ray?

1. We here in US cannot get our act together. We are out of control handling this virus because of very poor leadership by incompetent Trump. Most foreign countries are getting better ( except Brazil ) handling this Covid-19 world wide. But US is going the wrong directions because of Trump. European countries are opening their borders except to Americans going to Europe because of Trump. That’s how bad is our country.

2. What do you mean letting more students coming in? We are talking about foreign students that Trump wants to deport? Not the students coming in. Before Covid-19 universities are loosing $ billions in last 2 years because of Trump.
Look at the date of this link November 2019 months before CV-19 hits US.

Forum List

Back