U.S. colleges scramble after new Trump order on foreign students

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
And another EO, that makes no sense. Is it because Trump is impotent to affect the opening of public schools under local control? Wants to destroy higher education? Is pissed at Harvard? This new order contradicts previous policy regarding Covid....what a mess.

Many U.S. colleges were scrambling on Tuesday to modify plans for the fall semester in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic a day after the Trump administration issued an order that could force tens of thousands of foreign students to leave the country if their schools hold all classes online.
The announcement blindsided academic institutions grappling with the logistical challenges of safely resuming classes, particularly after the federal government had granted exceptions to the rules limiting online learning for foreign students when colleges and universities in March rushed to shutter campuses and move to online classes as the pandemic forced lockdowns.

There are more than a million foreign students at U.S. colleges and universities, and many schools depend on revenue from foreign students, who often pay full tuition.
The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency said institutions moving entirely to online learning must submit plans to the agency by July 15. Schools that will use only in-person learning, shortened or delayed classes, or a blend of in-person and online learning must submit plans by Aug. 1.

Families, businesses, governors, mayors, school or college administrators, taking "the hoax" seriously, all conspire to undermine Trump's efforts to expose the hoax as a hoax. Small wonder the overgrown baby is throwing another tantrum - any efforts to contain the virus ... er, the hoax expose the crybaby as callous and incompetent, with a direct impact on his reelection.

And another EO, that makes no sense. Is it because Trump is impotent to affect the opening of public schools under local control? Wants to destroy higher education? Is pissed at Harvard? This new order contradicts previous policy regarding Covid....what a mess.

Many U.S. colleges were scrambling on Tuesday to modify plans for the fall semester in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic a day after the Trump administration issued an order that could force tens of thousands of foreign students to leave the country if their schools hold all classes online.
The announcement blindsided academic institutions grappling with the logistical challenges of safely resuming classes, particularly after the federal government had granted exceptions to the rules limiting online learning for foreign students when colleges and universities in March rushed to shutter campuses and move to online classes as the pandemic forced lockdowns.

There are more than a million foreign students at U.S. colleges and universities, and many schools depend on revenue from foreign students, who often pay full tuition.
The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agency said institutions moving entirely to online learning must submit plans to the agency by July 15. Schools that will use only in-person learning, shortened or delayed classes, or a blend of in-person and online learning must submit plans by Aug. 1.
Can't they do them online in their own country?

I don't see a problem here, now no need for them to live in the USA.

Just another
There is no reason for those students to be in this country if all classes are on line. Certainly no reason for any school to be scrambling. There's no difference between a student across the street or across the world.

What dream world do you live in? I tell you what. Let me make you work the overnight shift from 11-7 for a few months and see how you like it and how your body adapts to it. Because that's what a lot of those foreign students would have to deal with. You see, they come here to go to school..you know, in the daytime. Even though they may be from other time zones, if they are forced out of the country, now you're looking at anywhere from 5 hours difference to up to 12 or 13. What it means in a nutshell is that a lot of these students will have to go to school overnight. Schools are scrambling because they hold their classes..you know...during the daylight hours. Having to tailor learning programs for other time zones takes time and effort...especially since the school year begins in barely two months.

Throw this edict on the pile of bans on people of color immigrating. Another attempt to Make America White Again.
Sickening and loathsome.

Well, it seems entire online classes for immigrants would have got them kicked out anyways because there was a limit on them. Obviously, if all were online, they woukd exceed the limit.
Im trying to find the EO and I cant. Do you have a link?

Oops, sorry about that, I thought I put the link in there: https://www.usnews.com/news/top-new...ble-after-new-trump-order-on-foreign-students

Yes, there is a limit and the rules are clear on that, but exceptions, like many being made in other areas, can be made for the epidemic. What harm does that do?

There are too many foreign students in the USA. Trump should crack down on student visas from hostile countries like China.

And the foreign students who are here should not be able to take STEM classes. STEM classes should be reserved for American students.

Why?

Higher Ed is a product, and we have a lot of international students who want it.

Well, it seems entire online classes for immigrants would have got them kicked out anyways because there was a limit on them. Obviously, if all were online, they woukd exceed the limit.

Oops, sorry about that, I thought I put the link in there: https://www.usnews.com/news/top-new...ble-after-new-trump-order-on-foreign-students

Yes, there is a limit and the rules are clear on that, but exceptions, like many being made in other areas, can be made for the epidemic. What harm does that do?
No you did, I meant the EO itself.
Well, i am against most immigration right now, so you wouldnt like my answer.

Too many Chinese nationals are working as spies for the Chinese government...we need to stop allowing them into the country.

There is no reason for those students to be in this country if all classes are on line. Certainly no reason for any school to be scrambling. There's no difference between a student across the street or across the world.

They can simply use their billion dollar endowments to pay for American students to go to Harvard.......for free......

No you did, I meant the EO itself.
Well, i am against most immigration right now, so you wouldnt like my answer.

Maybe I am wrong assuming it is an EO, it actually said “order”.

The higher education puppy mills will lose a huge sum of money if education goes online

in fact the schools could get by with half the staff they have now

imagine a Feminist and Black Studies professor getting canned and having to find a real job

I encourage trump change his approach and support internet teaching

There are too many foreign students in the USA. Trump should crack down on student visas from hostile countries like China.

And the foreign students who are here should not be able to take STEM classes. STEM classes should be reserved for American students.

Why?

Higher Ed is a product, and we have a lot of international students who want it.
We have Americans who want it too, and they get displaced by foreign students.

America first!

And we should not be selling China the noose they will use to hang us with by educating their agents in cutting edge technologies.

The higher education puppy mills will lose a huge sum of money if education goes online

in fact the schools could get by with half the staff they have now

imagine a Feminist and Black Studies professor getting canned and having to find a real job

I encourage trump change his approach and support internet teaching
Online courses can be problematic. There is something to be said for live interaction among students and students and faculty. Most schools are attempting blended models. Lot of discussion going on, and regardless, the face of education is going to change.

Forum List

Back