two week challenge. take a guess, What made Pete Rose stand out from every other baseball player?

LA RAM FAN

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2008
I will give everybody TWO weeks to try and come up with the answer. You will never guess.LOL oh and I will even take the people i have on ignore off briefly just to see if they guessed it somehow.LOL

I was saying on another baseball thread,I recently bought over the net the 1980 playoff games between the astros and Phillies.

In watching those games I watched something that he did that brought back memories I had forgotten about him that he always did something in games that NO OTHER PLAYER "that I can ever recall anyways: did that made him stand out among them. take a guess what it is? you will never guess. The fact that he did this thing that no other ballplayer ever did,it is so surprise in the least,why he was pretty much the greatest hitter to ever play the game.

If he was not playing in a day and age when the media was constantly on top of him during his 44 game hitting streak,I have no doubt he would have broken Joe Dimaggios all time record since Joe did not have the kind of media attention to deal with back then that Rose did day and night in that day and age plus the pitchers did not want to be the pitcher who gave up the record to him and were always after him constantly because of that,pitching to him like it was the world series. they did NOT want to be that pitcher that gave up the record to him.

that was WHY they pitched to him like there was no tomorrow and like it was the 7th game of the world series. He said that in his book that in the game against atllanta when the streak ended,they freaking pitched to him like it was the 7th game of the world series.

The other thing that makes me feel confidant he would have beat Dimaggios record had he not played in the era he did was also during that time was the night when the streak got broken against atlanta,he was facing a pitcher he has never faced before and Rose mentioned in his book that was the one thing that he dreaded during the streak was hoping he never had to face a pitcher he had not faced before because he hated having to face a new pitcher he had never faced before since he was not familiar with them.

You just know things would have been different had it been a pitcher he HAD faced before. anyways,take a guess what it was the thing Rose did that made him stand out from every other baseball player. I forgot all about it till now what made him special.

see you in two weeks.

Last edited:
He always ran to first base during a walk.=hence the Hustle nickname.
Carlton always reviewed his pitches to his batters in his mind before games=hence his great career.
Jim Katt would pitch quick windups hence 50 minute ball games.
Can you tell I grew up during the Vet Stadium era in PHILLY?

He always ran to first base during a walk.=hence the Hustle nickname.
Carlton always reviewed his pitches to his batters in his mind before games=hence his great career.
Jim Katt would pitch quick windups hence 50 minute ball games.
Can you tell I grew up during the Vet Stadium era in PHILLY?

That was good.

A great ball player. Spunk, hard nosed, tough as hell and all wrapped up in a very talented athlete.

In some baseball documentary saw Pete being interviewed wherein he predicted he’d be the first $100,000 a year singles hitter, noting the only guys hauling down such “huge” salaries In those days were guys who regularly knocked ‘em outta the park.

Wonder what Pete in his prime would be making today?

The Pete Rose Dive! Derp!

Helluva player, should be in hall of fame, IMO.

Oh yeah, he'd lead off bases..

Never really was interested in sports other than the 49rs at candlestick. Now that they abandoned the city screw them.

Rose was a hard-nosed competitor that only had one gear. Hell, he took out Ray Fosse at home plate during the all-star game that was nothing but an exhibition game.

I will give everybody TWO weeks to try and come up with the answer. You will never guess.LOL oh and I will even take the people i have on ignore off briefly just to see if they guessed it somehow.LOL

I was saying on another baseball thread,I recently bought over the net the 1980 playoff games between the astros and Phillies.

In watching those games I watched something that he did that brought back memories I had forgotten about him that he always did something in games that NO OTHER PLAYER "that I can ever recall anyways: did that made him stand out among them. take a guess what it is? you will never guess. The fact that he did this thing that no other ballplayer ever did,it is so surprise in the least,why he was pretty much the greatest hitter to ever play the game.

If he was not playing in a day and age when the media was constantly on top of him during his 44 game hitting streak,I have no doubt he would have broken Joe Dimaggios all time record since Joe did not have the kind of media attention to deal with back then that Rose did day and night in that day and age plus the pitchers did not want to be the pitcher who gave up the record to him and were always after him constantly because of that,pitching to him like it was the world series. they did NOT want to be that pitcher that gave up the record to him.

that was WHY they pitched to him like there was no tomorrow and like it was the 7th game of the world series. He said that in his book that in the game against atllanta when the streak ended,they freaking pitched to him like it was the 7th game of the world series.

The other thing that makes me feel confidant he would have beat Dimaggios record had he not played in the era he did was also during that time was the night when the streak got broken against atlanta,he was facing a pitcher he has never faced before and Rose mentioned in his book that was the one thing that he dreaded during the streak was hoping he never had to face a pitcher he had not faced before because he hated having to face a new pitcher he had never faced before since he was not familiar with them.

You just know things would have been different had it been a pitcher he HAD faced before. anyways,take a guess what it was the thing Rose did that made him stand out from every other baseball player. I forgot all about it till now what made him special.

see you in two weeks.
He use to hang out at Scioto Downs a lot. He is the only player from the big red machine other than little known Paul Moscow in which I posess an autogragh from. He high fived me when my 18 to 1 horse won! I still remember the horses name Pacing Hoss. Other than that one personal experience I had with him what I remember most was him destroying that catcher and the head first slide. I also remember he would back up any player catching a pop up and several times prevented an error due to this effort. He is the all time hit leader.

A great ball player. Spunk, hard nosed, tough as hell and all wrapped up in a very talented athlete.

In some baseball documentary saw Pete being interviewed wherein he predicted he’d be the first $100,000 a year singles hitter, noting the only guys hauling down such “huge” salaries In those days were guys who regularly knocked ‘em outta the park.

Wonder what Pete in his prime would be making today?

Indeed,he really called it.

What I remember most about Pete Rose was him knocking the shit out of that catcher.

He did that as well in one of the playoff games against the Astros as well.same identical situation.He gave the catcher a forarm to the chin.This catcher was much more fortunate,he was able to contine to play the game the rest of the night.:lmao:

Forum List

Back