Tuskegee Airman Brig. Gen. Charles McGee dies at 102

NewsVine_Mariyam

Platinum Member
Mar 3, 2018
The Beautiful Pacific Northwest
Rest in peace Brigadier General McGee

Tuskegee Airman Brig. Gen. Charles McGee dies
(CNN)Brig. Gen. Charles McGee, one of the last surviving Tuskegee Airmen, died Sunday morning in his sleep, according to a family spokesman. He was 102.

"McGee was a living legend known for his kind-hearted, and humble nature, who saw positivity at every turn," the family said in the statement. "He spent the last half century inspiring future generations to pursue careers in aviation, but equally important, he encouraged others to be the best they could be, to follow their dreams, and to persevere through all challenges."

#ThrowbackThursday: First Tuskegee Airmen take flight

#ThrowbackThursday: First Tuskegee Airmen take flight

Over the course of his historic career, McGee successfully completed 409 air combat missions across three wars, World War II, Korea, and Vietnam, serving a total of 30 years of active service. McGee has received numerous accolades throughout his career, including the Congressional Gold Medal in 2007 and the National Business Aviation Association's Meritorious Service to Aviation Award in 2012. He was enshrined into the National Aviation Hall of Fame in 2011.

"Today, we lost an American hero. Charles McGee, Brigadier General and one of the last surviving Tuskegee Airman, passed at the age of 102. While I am saddened by his loss, I'm also incredibly grateful for his sacrifice, his legacy, and his character. Rest in peace, General," Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin said in a tweet remembering McGee.

McGee is survived by three children, 10 grandchildren, 14 great grandchildren, and one great-great grandchild.
"As the nation mourns, the family asks that we remember the importance and significance of the legacy he left, all of his fellow Tuskegee Airmen, and everyone who played a role in the support and protection of American democracy," the family's statement read.
The Tuskegee Airmen were the first Black military aviators in the US service corps.

High Flight​

by John Gillespie Magee​

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds, – and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air…​
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew –
And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.​

John Gillespie Magee​

An Anglo-American aviator and poet. Magee served in the Royal Canadian Air Force, which he joined before the United States entered the war; he died in a mid-air collision over Lincolnshire in 1941.
John-Gillespie-Magee.png

Rest in peace Brigadier General McGee

High Flight​

by John Gillespie Magee​

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth​
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;​
Sunward I’ve climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth​
Of sun-split clouds, – and done a hundred things​
You have not dreamed of – wheeled and soared and swung​
High in the sunlit silence. Hov’ring there,​
I’ve chased the shouting wind along, and flung​
My eager craft through footless halls of air…​
Up, up the long, delirious burning blue​
I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace​
Where never lark, or ever eagle flew –​
And, while with silent, lifting mind I’ve trod​
The high untrespassed sanctity of space,​
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.​

John Gillespie Magee​

An Anglo-American aviator and poet. Magee served in the Royal Canadian Air Force, which he joined before the United States entered the war; he died in a mid-air collision over Lincolnshire in 1941.
John-Gillespie-Magee.png
He had a long life-------I hope that it was a happy one for him.

RIP Gen.Charles McGee...what a nice long life!

(((May GOD Keep you forever!)))

I had the privilege of meeting him and a few other Red Tails many, many years ago. Reading PA has an annual WWII airshow and living history that I participated in. Wonderful man, may he rest in God's embrace.

Forum List

Back