Turkey continues push to reopen iconic Hagia Sophia church as a mosque

Sally

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2012
Naturally the wishes of the Christians in Turkey and elsewhere would have nothing to say about this. Suppose India decided to convert a mosque that was built on what was originally a site for a Hindu Temple. no one would hear the end of it.

Turkey continues push to reopen iconic Hagia Sophia church as a mosque
Mark Woods CHRISTIAN TODAY CONTRIBUTING EDITOR 14 September 2015
Email Print
atc_ic_text.gif
atc_ic_arrow_up.gif
atc_ic_arrow_down.gif

More Sharing ServicesShare

hagia-sophia.jpg

upload_2015-9-14_21-24-40.png
upload_2015-9-14_21-24-40.png

Reuters
The interior of the ancient Christian church of Hagia Sophia, now a museum, which could be turned into a mosque.

Turkey's Culture and Tourism minister has said that reopening Istanbul's iconic Hagia Sophia as a mosque is his "personal dream, my goal, my ambition".

Now a museum, the former cathedral which saw the coronation of Byzantine emperors and was at the heart of Orthodox faith for centuries has increasingly become a focus of Turkish Islamist nationalism.

Yalçın Topçu, the former chair of the Islamist-nationalist Great Union Party, made the statement in an interview for Hurriyet Daily News. He said that the move would be politically controversial but that a national referendum might be the solution.

"There are conflicting stances on this issue," he said. "Our ministry does not have the authority to give the decision to reopen the Hagia Sophia [as a mosque]. Its legal dimension is wide. I don't find it right to turn this issue into a polemic and abused.
"As a Muslim Turkish person, if I had to express what is in my heart, it would make me very pleased to reopen such a meaningful place to prayers," he added.

Continue reading at:

Turkey continues push to reopen iconic Hagia Sophia church as a mosque | Christian News on Christian Today

Forum List

Back