Trump won a majority vote in 3,084 of the 3,141 counties within the U.S. based on this map...

tnacguy

Rookie
Dec 18, 2016
Trump_Sticker_HiRes_c961d0d2-a1ba-4e68-8ffb-18093a8fd5d1_2048x2048.jpg

Counties don't vote, people do. Clinton won over 2.8 million more votes than Trump did. Russia very definately helped Trump. His win is doubly tainted.

Counties don't vote, people do. Clinton won over 2.8 million more votes than Trump did. Russia very definately helped Trump. His win is doubly tainted.
The people do not really vote for the president either - electors do. Electors that are tied to states as much as population.

Is this stat true? It seems quite excessive, so much so I won't even click the link as I presume it is fake news.

One site claims the following:

According to the Associated Press, Clinton won 487 counties nationwide, compared with 2,626 for President-elect Donald Trump.

Last edited:
and ended up with 5 less electoral votes than she started with.

Is this stat true? It seems quite excessive, so much so I won't even click the link as I presume it is fake news.

According to the Associated Press, Clinton won 487 counties nationwide, compared with 2,626 for President-elect Donald Trump.

It's false...

Q: In the election, did Hillary Clinton only win 57 out of 3,141 counties?

A: No. Clinton won at least 487 counties, according to two different counts of preliminary results.

Clinton Counties - FactCheck.org

It's false...

Q: In the election, did Hillary Clinton only win 57 out of 3,141 counties?

A: No. Clinton won at least 487 counties, according to two different counts of preliminary results.

Clinton Counties - FactCheck.org
image.jpeg

It is indeed more of that fake news bullshit they seem to wallow in. I had the same impression, immediately so I finally looked it up.

OP's map first of all goes to great lengths to show vast swaths of red. Anyone who knows how the country is laid out knows most of that red is over sparsely populated space, deserts, swamps and such, yet the uninhabited desert gets the same amount of red pixel as downtown Manhattan or Los Angeles gets a blue one.

Translated into a cartogram that more accurately reflects population however, we get more like this:

57-trump.png

---notice the purple shades, because the cartogram is designed to reflect everybody's vote and doesn't try to fly the fantasy that entire states vote unanimously. That color scheme translated back to the normal map gives this:

57-clinton.png

--- so what he's got up there is entirely a fantasy of the Elecoral College and its perverted "winner take all" system. That map (in the OP) doesn't reflect how the country voted at all, but perhaps it's cartography they do as Republicans to make themselves feel better.

Point Two:
3181 minus 3084 leaves just 57 for Clinton wins. The Dimbart article that promoted this fake news claimed:

>> Hillary Clinton, in contrast, had an 8.2 million vote margin in a narrow band of 52 coastal counties and five “county equivalent” cities stretching from San Diego to Seattle on the West Coast and Northern Virginia to Boston on the East Coast. That narrow band included two major cities–Washington, D.C and Baltimore, Maryland–included in the five “county equivalent” cities, and three major cities–Philadelphia, New York, and Boston–which are included in the 52 counties. <<

Which leaves five more counties elsewhere.

But:
>> Not mentioned in this list was the state of Alabama, where Clinton won 12 of the 67 counties, already bringing Clinton's total to 64 counties total. Arizona (where Clinton won four of 15 counties) was also omitted from the list. Clinton won eight counties in Arkansas, and 23 in the state of Colorado (which she won). She also took Delaware, despite winning one of three counties, and lost Florida with the exception of nine counties. And while Clinton lost Georgia, she did win over 30 of its 159 counties. Skipping to Texas, Clinton went home with 27 of its 254 counties.<< --- Snopes

And that's 166 counties in just those states mentioned, where there was only room for five according to the original claim. Which adding to the 52 already claimed in the Dimbart article, gives 218 in just a limited sample of states. I'm not sure an entire county list exists but this one is clearly an unmitigated crock.

WHY they need to go on lying like this is a fascinating psychological question.

Forum List

Back