Trump tells Lester Holt: Don’t fact-check debates

Crowley shot off her fat mouth and was wrong. It wasn't her job and unfortunately Romney rolled over for her. It could have cost him the election. A moderator should moderate the debate, not try to influence the outcome.

wow- how you love to read into things that simply aren't there. I do not want opinions interjected... I said if an O-B-V-I-O-U-S lie were told... something that is commonly known... like trump saying he isn't a birther is an obvious lie. so follow up questions or a request for elaboration should be raised or that moderator isn't worth a damn.
A follow up question is not fact checking. A followup question is part of the moderators job.

i said if something quite blatant is being said that is known to be factually incorrect, then the moderator should follow up with additional questions or statements that give the candidate an opportunity to CLARIFY or be corrected. much like what martha radditz did to romney.
You stated:
"if a moderator know that an obvious lie has been said, then he or she should call the candidate out on it."
And that is not what they should do. I agreed with your statements after that one where you said if they couldn't do that then they should ask followup questions. For instance:

If Trump says that he was not a birther it would be massively improper for the moderator to say "that is a lie" or "you are incorrect." It would be proper and expected for the moderator to follow that statement up with a quote from Trump whining about Obama's birth certificate (or even better one of the ones about his 'experts' in Hawaii) and ask what he meant when he said it. One is an attempt at a fact check without having the facts and time available to do such and the other is a question that forces the canidate to come to terms with what they are claiming. It is Hillary's job to state, when she gets her time, that Trump is blowing smoke.

There is a key difference between the two above statements. One is, as others have stated, taking part in the debate. The other is the core responsibility of the moderator - asking questions. As I have stated before as well, fact checking for a moderator is literally impossible. I do not care how 'obvious' you think one falsehood or another is. The moderator is not perfect and does not have the facts sitting in front of them to actually perform a fact check. It is nothing more than interjecting their own opinion, something that does not belong in the debate in any shape or form.

i gave the example of trump saying he's not a birther. is that obvious enough?
He was. Like every Democrat was for traditional marriage until just after the last election.

You fascists all hang together: Putin, Trump, and you. Why is a good Catholic girl like you hanging out with atheist bastards?

It is the comrade Trump bullshit. No one has been more generous with Putin than the Obam/Clinton cartel, which makes your attack on Trump so ridiculous. When you think Putin, Obama's leeway comment should raise an eyebrow, but no. True to form you make Trump the bad guy. Got Uranium Jakie?

Why on earth would you think I am Catholic?? Or is that just more of your slant MO? Good is about the only thing you got right about me in your post. :)

Trump is demanding another Matt Lauer interview where all of his bizarre claims go unchallenged
dude, again, you can't read. It's ok, we all knew that.

?
well it's obvious you didn't read the OP, cause trump never said that. he said let fact checking be done by the candidates. he didn't say no fact checking. let the person in the debate, debate. Do you even know what debate even is? oh right, nope.

You obviously live in a cave

Trump received exactly that kind of interview from Matt Lauer who allowed all of Trumps unfounded and outright wrong statements to go unchallenged

That is what he demands of Les Holt
that wasn't a debate you fool. Again, do you even know what a debate is? I can't believe you choose that as a subject to reference to.

You fascists all hang together: Putin, Trump, and you. Why is a good Catholic girl like you hanging out with atheist bastards?

It is the comrade Trump bullshit. No one has been more generous with Putin than the Obam/Clinton cartel, which makes your attack on Trump so ridiculous. When you think Putin, Obama's leeway comment should raise an eyebrow, but no. True to form you make Trump the bad guy. Got Uranium Jakie?

Why on earth would you think I am Catholic?? Or is that just more of your slant MO? Good is about the only thing you got right about me in your post. :)
How is Obama enacting crippling economic sanctions on Russia being generous?

Trump is demanding another Matt Lauer interview where all of his bizarre claims go unchallenged
dude, again, you can't read. It's ok, we all knew that.

?
well it's obvious you didn't read the OP, cause trump never said that. he said let fact checking be done by the candidates. he didn't say no fact checking. let the person in the debate, debate. Do you even know what debate even is? oh right, nope.

You obviously live in a cave

Trump received exactly that kind of interview from Matt Lauer who allowed all of Trumps unfounded and outright wrong statements to go unchallenged

That is what he demands of Les Holt
that wasn't a debate you fool. Again, do you even know what a debate is? I can't believe you choose that as a subject to reference to.
Softballs are still softballs

Trump demanding more softballs does not cut it

if a moderator know that an obvious lie has been said, then he or she should call the candidate out on it. period. if they can't do that, then they should at the very least ask follow up questions 9which they do already) & have the candidate 'expand' on the lie, so they can dig an even deeper hole.
Crowley shot off her fat mouth and was wrong. It wasn't her job and unfortunately Romney rolled over for her. It could have cost him the election. A moderator should moderate the debate, not try to influence the outcome.

wow- how you love to read into things that simply aren't there. I do not want opinions interjected... I said if an O-B-V-I-O-U-S lie were told... something that is commonly known... like trump saying he isn't a birther is an obvious lie. so follow up questions or a request for elaboration should be raised or that moderator isn't worth a damn.
A follow up question is not fact checking. A followup question is part of the moderators job.

i said if something quite blatant is being said that is known to be factually incorrect, then the moderator should follow up with additional questions or statements that give the candidate an opportunity to CLARIFY or be corrected. much like what martha radditz did to romney.

You're understanding of what is "factually incorrect" is 95% wrong. The same goes for most of the media douche bags.

that trump ISN'T a birther? lol...........

You're understanding of what is "factually incorrect" is 95% wrong. The same goes for most of the media douche bags.

Hillary is the original birther, douche bag.

"The birther movement was started by Hillary Clinton in 2008. She was all in!"
Donald Trump on Tuesday, September 22nd, 2015 in a tweet

Did Hillary Clinton start the Obama birther movement?
By Jon Greenberg on Wednesday, September 23rd, 2015 at 5:59 p.m.
[...]
Our ruling

Trump said that Clinton started the birther movement and "was all in."

It’s an interesting bit of history that the birther movement appears to have begun with Democrats supporting Clinton and opposing Obama. But Trump, and others who have made this claim, neglect to mention that there is no direct tie to Clinton or her 2008 campaign.

The story appears to have started with supporters of Clinton, an important distinction.

Trump goes on to completely distort the chain of events by claiming Clinton "was all in" on the birther movement. Most of the talk started after Clinton suspended her presidential campaign. And the only thing she officially has ever done is deny any accusation of starting a whisper campaign.

We rate this claim False.

[...]
Our ruling

It’s an interesting bit of history that the birther movement appears to have begun with Democrats supporting Clinton and opposing Obama. But Trump, and others who have made this claim, neglect to mention that there is no direct tie to Clinton or her 2008 campaign.

The story appears to have started with supporters of Clinton, an important distinction.

Trump goes on to completely distort the chain of events by claiming Clinton "was all in" on the birther movement. Most of the talk started after Clinton suspended her presidential campaign. And the only thing she officially has ever done is deny any accusation of starting a whisper campaign.

Oh, so you believe that Hillary didn't dispatch her surrogates to start the rumors about Obama's birth place?

You are the definition of "terminally naive."

[...]
Our ruling

Oh, so you believe that Hillary didn't dispatch her surrogates to start the rumors about Obama's birth place?

why bother if her campaign was 'suspended' which means she dropped out. you are the definition of a trumpeter. a perfect example of who trump is talking about in my siggy.

[...]
Our ruling

why bother if her campaign was 'suspended' which means she dropped out. you are the definition of a trumpeter. a perfect example of who trump is talking about in my siggy.

Who said it happened after her campaign was suspended?

You stated:
"if a moderator know that an obvious lie has been said, then he or she should call the candidate out on it."
And that is not what they should do. I agreed with your statements after that one where you said if they couldn't do that then they should ask followup questions. For instance:

If Trump says that he was not a birther it would be massively improper for the moderator to say "that is a lie" or "you are incorrect." It would be proper and expected for the moderator to follow that statement up with a quote from Trump whining about Obama's birth certificate (or even better one of the ones about his 'experts' in Hawaii) and ask what he meant when he said it. One is an attempt at a fact check without having the facts and time available to do such and the other is a question that forces the canidate to come to terms with what they are claiming. It is Hillary's job to state, when she gets her time, that Trump is blowing smoke.

There is a key difference between the two above statements. One is, as others have stated, taking part in the debate. The other is the core responsibility of the moderator - asking questions. As I have stated before as well, fact checking for a moderator is literally impossible. I do not care how 'obvious' you think one falsehood or another is. The moderator is not perfect and does not have the facts sitting in front of them to actually perform a fact check. It is nothing more than interjecting their own opinion, something that does not belong in the debate in any shape or form.

i gave the example of trump saying he's not a birther. is that obvious enough?
And I expounded on what is and is not the responsibility of the moderator if that comes up. Did you even read the point i made?

Looks like Trump is getting ready to tell some Whoppers

Of course it is a moderators job not to accept a response with an obvious mistruth to it and to demand an accurate answer
No it isn't, douche bag. Please explain why a debate even needs a so-called "moderator." Why can't the candidates ask each other questions?

that's called a ''conversation' & is not a debate.
Not really. That is exactly what a debate is - point and counter point. A moderator in a debate typically does nothing but keep time.

You stated:

if a birther question does come up, Trump will end the discussion with a quick, it's no longer an issue or an issue for this debate. next question.
Yes he will. then Hillary will likely smash him over the head with his own quotes that he has made over a 5 year period that shows how he was a birther right up to the point that it became a political liability.

That is going to be a problem for him through the rest of his campaign.

Birther is so last campaign. No one cares. Hilly can do,anything she wants and no one will care.

[...]
Our ruling

Hillary has never said anything remotely questioning Obamas birthplace
She has never instructed anyone else to do so

Trump has openly declared Obama as a noncitizen for five years

THAT is your smoking gun

You stated:

if a birther question does come up, Trump will end the discussion with a quick, it's no longer an issue or an issue for this debate. next question.
Yes he will. then Hillary will likely smash him over the head with his own quotes that he has made over a 5 year period that shows how he was a birther right up to the point that it became a political liability.

That is going to be a problem for him through the rest of his campaign.
Nope it's over,

[...]
Our ruling

Hillary has never said anything remotely questioning Obamas birthplace
She has never instructed anyone else to do so

Trump has openly declared Obama as a noncitizen for five years

THAT is your smoking gun
First trump said her campaign not her. Fk you idiots can't use facts ever!

Forum List

Back