Trump Smacked Down by SCOTUS Bigtime on LGBT Rights Issue

It's a great day LGBT people who no longer have to fear discrimination in theworkplace

Supreme Court Says LGBTQ Employees Are Protected By Civil Rights Employment Statutes

The Supreme Court ruled that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects LGBTQ employees from being discriminated against on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

It warms my heart ton know that Trump is having apoplexy right now. Not only did his administration fight against this, but also, his own appointee wrote the opinion for the majority

It was a 6-3 ruling, with Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Neil Gorsuch joining the four liberal justices in the majority.

Writing for the majority, Gorsuch argued that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity is fundamentally no different than discrimination based on sex.
“An individual’s homosexuality or transgender status is not relevant to employment decisions,” Gorsuch wrote. “That’s because it is impossible to discriminate against a person for being homosexual or transgender without discriminating against that individual based on sex.”
It’s sad and disturbing that far too many on the right are hostile to this ruling.

It’s not about states’ rights, it’s not about ‘will of the people’ – indeed, the Civil Rights Act of 1964 is the will of the people.

And it’s the will of the people that gay and transgender Americans not be subject to discrimination in the workplace.

I hear he lost the Sanctuary City case, too.
Pretty soon, Trump's gonna call for disbanding the Supreme Court!
MAGA!
Interesting they decided not to hear the administration appeal that would force state to notify and hold people for the Federal government, when about to be released on state charges or time being served, yet 2nd circuit upheld the administration saying it will withhold certain federal crime-fighting funding from states that refuse to alert the Feds and hold immigration suspects for the Feds. So neither side can force the other to do their bidding, but the Fed does not have to pay the states that will not render this service to the Fed. Sounds fine to me. Cut off the funds and see if the states need the money more than they wish to avoid becoming an extended arm of the Feds in support of Federal law.
I think you're on the wrong threat buddy
I was responding to OldLady who said "I hear he lost the Sanctuary City case, too." right here on this thread. But you can put me down for believing Gays, Lesbians and Transgendered whatever they are, should not be fired just because of their sexual choices, as long as they do not try to have sex in the produce section at Kroger. Is that more on topic?

Good grief!! Would you attempt to have sex in the produce section at Kroger?? This is not about sex. It is about sexuality and gender identity -but you knew that didn't you?

But thank you for supporting non discrimination. However, I am bothered by your reference to "choice"

MAGA!
Interesting they decided not to hear the administration appeal that would force state to notify and hold people for the Federal government, when about to be released on state charges or time being served, yet 2nd circuit upheld the administration saying it will withhold certain federal crime-fighting funding from states that refuse to alert the Feds and hold immigration suspects for the Feds. So neither side can force the other to do their bidding, but the Fed does not have to pay the states that will not render this service to the Fed. Sounds fine to me. Cut off the funds and see if the states need the money more than they wish to avoid becoming an extended arm of the Feds in support of Federal law.
I was responding to OldLady who said "I hear he lost the Sanctuary City case, too." right here on this thread. But you can put me down for believing Gays, Lesbians and Transgendered whatever they are, should not be fired just because of their sexual choices, as long as they do not try to have sex in the produce section at Kroger. Is that more on topic?

Good grief!! Would you attempt to have sex in the produce section at Kroger?? This is not about sex. It is about sexuality and gender identity -but you knew that didn't you?

But thank you for supporting non discrimination. However, I am bothered by your reference to "choice"
I am an old heterosexual. What do you expect? I do not pretend to understand LGBT stuff, but have nothing against them as long as it does not interfere with me. It may be shallow me, but I like me just the way I am.

MAGA!

I am an old heterosexual. What do you expect? I do not pretend to understand LGBT stuff, but have nothing against them as long as it does not interfere with me. It may be shallow me, but I like me just the way I am.

I am an old heterosexual , Cisgender guy myself. The difference is that I have done the research and understand quite a lot about the issue and know that it is not a choice. I also know that the only people who think that they "interfere" with others are those who have a problem simply coexisting with them

It's a great day LGBT people who no longer have to fear discrimination in theworkplace

Supreme Court Says LGBTQ Employees Are Protected By Civil Rights Employment Statutes

The Supreme Court ruled that Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 protects LGBTQ employees from being discriminated against on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity.

It warms my heart ton know that Trump is having apoplexy right now. Not only did his administration fight against this, but also, his own appointee wrote the opinion for the majority

It was a 6-3 ruling, with Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Neil Gorsuch joining the four liberal justices in the majority.

Writing for the majority, Gorsuch argued that discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity is fundamentally no different than discrimination based on sex.
“An individual’s homosexuality or transgender status is not relevant to employment decisions,” Gorsuch wrote. “That’s because it is impossible to discriminate against a person for being homosexual or transgender without discriminating against that individual based on sex.”
I saw absolutely nothing in the story about Trump.

Trump wasn't a plaintiff in the case.
I think what the media is trying to say is Trump picked judges that are conservative.....and they stabbed him in the back.
But what really happened is Trump picked judges that believe in supporting the law and the constitution.

Actually Trump campaigned on LGBT rights....the videos are on youtube unless youtube dumped them....Trump is for all Americans and not dividing them into sections and groups.....

Except that he was full of shit . What he says on the campaign trail does not excuse the fact that his administration, at his directions, fought these workplace protections and revered the Obama policy on the issue. Not to mention all of the others ways that he betrayed LGBT folks since then

Trump is a lying sack of shit. A empty shell of a sub human being with no soul and no core values. He will say whatever is expedient and what he thinks will benefit him at any given time depending on his audiance.

Supporting LGBT rights is not :dividing them into a group" n They already are a group. It is bigotry that is divisive
I've never seen a president keep his promises like Trump has....

Trump has also appointed openly gay ambassadors and judges and onto his staff....many of the good things Trump has done and tried to do for the gay community have been fought by the house democrats and covered up by the media....both of whom do not want Trump to be re elected and so will fight him even when he is doing what they have always wanted to do or said they did.....broaden your spear of news collection....you are being denied pertinent information...

Trump has also appointed openly gay ambassadors and judges and onto his staff....many of the good things Trump has done and tried to do for the gay community have been fought by the house democrats and covered up by the media....both of whom do not want Trump to be re elected and so will fight him even when he is doing what they have always wanted to do or said they did.....broaden your spear of news collection....you are being denied pertinent information...

Another one interfering in a leftist meme! :);)

Now, when a Conservative fires a gay person, they can sue him

I love it when lefties show they dont give 2 shits about the constitution but then tomorrow they will act like its their bread anf butter.
All of you hacks are fucking pathetic.

I'm just stunned a bit by Gorsuch's advocacy of this. Also very pleased..it would appear that he is his own man..and bears out his statements that he would rule on the law..and the case...not the politics!

Justice Neil M. Gorsuch is a profoundly conservative jurist and one of the two appointments President Trump has made to the Supreme Court that Republicans expected would fundamentally shape it to their liking for a generation.
But on Monday, Justice Gorsuch, 52, led the way on one of the most sweeping L.G.B.T. rights rulings in the court’s history, protecting gay and transgender people from workplace discrimination and confounding those who thought he would be a reliable conservative on those issues.
Justice Gorsuch took the place of Justice Antonin Scalia, who died in February 2016 but whose seat was kept open by Senator Mitch McConnell, the majority leader, until President Barack Obama had left the White House. Mr. Trump then made Justice Gorsuch his first appointment to the court less than two weeks after his inauguration.

Justice Scalia left a legacy as one of the court’s most fiercely conservative members, and while more courteous and mild mannered than his predecessor, Justice Gorsuch has largely echoed his legal philosophy from the bench.

Until now.
Justice Gorsuch led a 6-to-3 majority in declaring that gay and transgender workers are protected by Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, which prohibits discrimination based on race, religion, national origin and sex. His ruling was joined not by his usual conservative allies, but by the court’s four liberals and Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr.
“In Title VII, Congress adopted broad language making it illegal for an employer to rely on an employee’s sex when deciding to fire that employee,” Justice Gorsuch wrote for the majority. “We do not hesitate to recognize today a necessary consequence of that legislative choice: An employer who fires an individual merely for being gay or transgender defies the law.”
Justice Gorsuch has repeatedly said he is a staunch believer in “textualism,” in which judges look only at the written words of a statute rather than the intent of the lawmakers who wrote them. In Monday’s opinion, he said the words of the Civil Right Act were clear.
“When the express terms of a statute give us one answer and extratextual considerations suggest another, it’s no contest,” Justice Gorsuch wrote in the opening paragraphs of his opinion. “Only the written word is the law, and all persons are entitled to its benefit.”

His conclusion: “An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it would not have questioned in members of a different sex.” And therefore, he said, the employer is in violation of the Civil Rights Act and the law.

Don't you hate it when judges just won't stay bought?

I saw absolutely nothing in the story about Trump.

Trump wasn't a plaintiff in the case.
I think what the media is trying to say is Trump picked judges that are conservative.....and they stabbed him in the back.
But what really happened is Trump picked judges that believe in supporting the law and the constitution.
Albeit by accident...LOL!

Democrats/fake media/cause propagandist's are pushing divisions on race, patriotism, faith, gay rights whatever (divisive) crap they can come up with , this is just more bullshit throwing the lefty TDS loons into a hate filled tizzies.

Actually Trump campaigned on LGBT rights....the videos are on youtube unless youtube dumped them....Trump is for all Americans and not dividing them into sections and groups.....

Except that he was full of shit . What he says on the campaign trail does not excuse the fact that his administration, at his directions, fought these workplace protections and revered the Obama policy on the issue. Not to mention all of the others ways that he betrayed LGBT folks since then

Trump is a lying sack of shit. A empty shell of a sub human being with no soul and no core values. He will say whatever is expedient and what he thinks will benefit him at any given time depending on his audiance.

Supporting LGBT rights is not :dividing them into a group" n They already are a group. It is bigotry that is divisive

Totally correct! Trump is not homophobic..as far as I can see. I doubt he cares about the decision..except in the political calculation that some in his base are pissed. He might pander a bit and bitch about the decision..but that probably is just tactics.

Being a New York Democrat for so many years...Trump has many Gay connections.

Totally correct! Trump is not homophobic..as far as I can see. I doubt he cares about the decision..except in the political calculation that some in his base are pissed. He might pander a bit and bitch about the decision..but that probably is just tactics.

Being a New York Democrat for so many years...Trump has many Gay connections.
There could be too many corporate legal liability concerns for him but we won't get to find out now....Trump is pro business...he feels jobs and opportunity is the cure for all Americans no matter what box they have been placed in by democrats.....

MAGA!

I am an old heterosexual , Cisgender guy myself. The difference is that I have done the research and understand quite a lot about the issue and know that it is not a choice. I also know that the only people who think that they "interfere" with others are those who have a problem simply coexisting with them
Saw a video once where some LGTB (notice I used caps. I don't even do that for trump) and they were screaming "We're Here! We're Queer! And We're in your face!" I really don't care unless they get belligerently in my face and have never said a mean word to any I have met. If it had happened in my workplace, they would have been "Outa There, Cause I'm Square, and I Ran The Place and had things to get done. That's all I'm saying. Cisgender, eh? Damn. Now I gotta look that one up. Don't know if they have an advocacy group. Just hope they don't riot and burn. :omg:

Of course included in that is these trans men/women getting to compete in women's sports.

Most American's do NOT agree with that. Gotta love the direction this country is going in. Such a bunch of crap.

MAGA!

Saw a video once where some LGTB (notice I used caps. I don't even do that for trump) and they were screaming "We're Here! We're Queer! And We're in your face!" I really don't care unless they get belligerently in my face and have never said a mean word to any I have met. If it had happened in my workplace, they would have been "Outa There, Cause I'm Square, and I Ran The Place and had things to get done. That's all I'm saying. Cisgender, eh? Damn. Now I gotta look that one up. Don't know if they have an advocacy group. Just hope they don't riot and burn. :omg:
We're not talking about people getting in your face and proclaiming that " we are here and we're queer". We are talking about gay people being able to post pictures of their wedding on social media or having a picture of their spouse or partner on their desk, just like you can. We're talking about being able to bring a spouse or partner to an office holiday party and introduce them as such without the fear of being fired JUST LIKE YOU CAN. You don't know what cisgender is? That tells me a lot about you.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back