Trump dismisses 'phony Emoluments Clause' after Doral criticism

I kinda feel bad for Trump on this one. He likes staying at his properties because they're run just so, the way he likes, and he likes the food and he's familiar with the place. Let's not forget he's an old guy and the older they get, the less they like sleeping away from "home." Hell, when my Dad got older, he'd drive all night rather than stop at a motel. He wanted his own bed.

Trump didn't decide this to get rich. He already is rich. If the decision had anything to do with "making business," it is just automatic with him.

Poor old guy. He should choose someplace near his club and stay there himself. Let someone drive him over in the mornings.

Maybe Trump should ACTUALLY put his businesses in a blind trust like he said he did.

Rather than self dealing government contracts himself, which is a felony.

Nothing to see here...move along...Phony Clause..in what he feels is no doubt a phony Constitution!

"President Trump on Monday dismissed criticism that his since-reversed plan to host the Group of Seven (G-7) summit at his Doral property would have led to an ethics violation.
"You people, with this phony Emoluments Clause," Trump said to reporters at the White House during a Cabinet meeting, referring to the constitutional clause that prohibits elected federal officials from receiving gifts or contributions from foreign governments.
Trump offered a lengthy defense of using his Doral resort near Miami to host next year's G-7 summit, and lashed out amid questions about the backlash to his earlier decision.
Trump insisted that he would not have profited off hosting world leaders, scores of journalists and other staff at his family's property near Miami. The president announced Saturday the White House would find a new location for the summit following criticism from lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.
"It would have been the best G-7 ever," Trump told reporters during a Cabinet meeting, adding that he felt the eventual location would not be as good.
"I would have given it for nothing," he said. "The Democrats went crazy, even though I would have done it free."
Trump, who turned over control of his business empire to his sons but did not put his assets in a blind trust, again criticized former President Obama for his book deal and contract with Netflix, both of which were agreed to after Obama had left the White House.
Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney announced during a briefing on Thursday that the Doral resort would host the G-7 summit in June. He said the Trump family property was chosen after White House teams scouted a dozen properties as potential sites.
The announcement immediately drew backlash. Critics viewed it as a blatant effort to enrich the president's family business.
Even some Republicans had expressed unease with the decision, viewing it as difficult to defend amid an impeachment inquiry targeting Trump and the president's questionable foreign policy moves in Syria.
Trump reportedly made the decision to pick a new location following a call with Republicans on Saturday.
Democrats have long alleged that Trump has used the presidency to enrich his business empire, citing frequent stays by administration officials and foreign lobbyists at Trump branded properties.
A lawsuit filed by congressional Democrats alleging Trump is violating the Emoluments Clause is working its way through the court system."
So...if Trump's businesses are part of a blind trust, how could he have 'given it for nothing'?
If his properties are in a blind trust, why is he the one deciding the G7 isn't going to be held at Doral? That wouldn't be his decision, if it were legitimate.

Nothing to see here...move along...Phony Clause..in what he feels is no doubt a phony Constitution!

"President Trump on Monday dismissed criticism that his since-reversed plan to host the Group of Seven (G-7) summit at his Doral property would have led to an ethics violation.
"You people, with this phony Emoluments Clause," Trump said to reporters at the White House during a Cabinet meeting, referring to the constitutional clause that prohibits elected federal officials from receiving gifts or contributions from foreign governments.
Trump offered a lengthy defense of using his Doral resort near Miami to host next year's G-7 summit, and lashed out amid questions about the backlash to his earlier decision.
Trump insisted that he would not have profited off hosting world leaders, scores of journalists and other staff at his family's property near Miami. The president announced Saturday the White House would find a new location for the summit following criticism from lawmakers on both sides of the aisle.
"It would have been the best G-7 ever," Trump told reporters during a Cabinet meeting, adding that he felt the eventual location would not be as good.
"I would have given it for nothing," he said. "The Democrats went crazy, even though I would have done it free."
Trump, who turned over control of his business empire to his sons but did not put his assets in a blind trust, again criticized former President Obama for his book deal and contract with Netflix, both of which were agreed to after Obama had left the White House.
Acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney announced during a briefing on Thursday that the Doral resort would host the G-7 summit in June. He said the Trump family property was chosen after White House teams scouted a dozen properties as potential sites.
The announcement immediately drew backlash. Critics viewed it as a blatant effort to enrich the president's family business.
Even some Republicans had expressed unease with the decision, viewing it as difficult to defend amid an impeachment inquiry targeting Trump and the president's questionable foreign policy moves in Syria.
Trump reportedly made the decision to pick a new location following a call with Republicans on Saturday.
Democrats have long alleged that Trump has used the presidency to enrich his business empire, citing frequent stays by administration officials and foreign lobbyists at Trump branded properties.
A lawsuit filed by congressional Democrats alleging Trump is violating the Emoluments Clause is working its way through the court system."
So...if Trump's businesses are part of a blind trust, how could he have 'given it for nothing'?
If his properties are in a blind trust, why is he the one deciding the G7 isn't going to be held at Doral? That wouldn't be his decision, if it were legitimate.

He's the one that said 'I would have given it for nothing'

Clearly placing HIMSELF as the decision maker.

Either Trump was lying about Doral, or he was lying about the Blind Trust.

I kinda feel bad for Trump on this one. He likes staying at his properties because they're run just so, the way he likes, and he likes the food and he's familiar with the place. Let's not forget he's an old guy and the older they get, the less they like sleeping away from "home." Hell, when my Dad got older, he'd drive all night rather than stop at a motel. He wanted his own bed.

Trump didn't decide this to get rich. He already is rich. If the decision had anything to do with "making business," it is just automatic with him.

Poor old guy. He should choose someplace near his club and stay there himself. Let someone drive him over in the mornings.

Maybe Trump should ACTUALLY put his businesses in a blind trust like he said he did.

Who says he didn't, Skylar?

Trump did with his statement "I would have given it for nothing'

Trump can't make any decisions about any of his businesses, nor even discuss them with those running them if they are in a blind trust.

Yet Trump is going to 'give it away for nothing' at Doral? How would someone that doesn't manage or have any say in any business at Doral....give anything away at a business he doesn't manage or have any say in?

Mulvaney was asked this question and went into a rambling stupor. Anyone here have an explanation for how that works?

Oh, for pity's sake!

TNHarley has it right. It's all about ego, not where he sleeps. After all he doesn't sleep. Can't sleep when there's Tweeter-whining to git done.

G7 only represents yet another opportunity to go HEY LOOKA ME in front of powerful people. Same shit, different day.

He gives his salary away but he wants to make money from a G7 meeting..
It's ridiculous.
He probably just wanted to do it for his ego, so he could around bragging that he owned the joint.
But dont let me stop the inability to apply reason to this.
He was doing it for free, and he really does not need the name recognition, really. Check your ego and the way you look at him-try being fair for once in your life.
Lol please. His ego is bigger than the continent of africa

And more valuable

TNHarley has it right. It's all about ego, not where he sleeps. After all he doesn't sleep. Can't sleep when there's Tweeter-whining to git done.

G7 only represents yet another opportunity to go HEY LOOKA ME in front of powerful people. Same shit, different day.

Yeah, his tiny ego needs to seize every - and I mean every - opportunity to blow itself up. So, that may well be part of why he intended to do it. The rest is plain old greed. You didn't really think he ever intended to eat the costs for that spectacular spectacle around his own spectacular self, or did you? "For free!" Ludicrous. No way, no how, and whoever falls for that crap also helps Nigerian princes.

Hey pulled out-what else do you want gnome?
What I want is good governance with no drama..but that ain't gunna happen..now is it?

Don't get it twisted..he was FORCED to pull out....because that is the only language he responds to.
He acted upon public opinion. If you want good governance, campaign for YOUR favorite candidate, or come with SOLID reasons why trump doesn't-start with the great economy!

He gives his salary away but he wants to make money from a G7 meeting..
It's ridiculous.
He probably just wanted to do it for his ego, so he could around bragging that he owned the joint.
But dont let me stop the inability to apply reason to this.
He was doing it for free, and he really does not need the name recognition, really. Check your ego and the way you look at him-try being fair for once in your life.
Lol please. His ego is bigger than the continent of africa
Way to be objective

What's wrong with holding it at the White House? Aren't there plenty of bedrooms for the head honchos? All the staff could stay at the Best Western.
That's what Camp David is for---but I guess it's not 5 star enough for Trump

Camp David: Welcome to the President's Retreat

aspen-map.jpg

But..of course..they are not part of a blind trust.

What's wrong with holding it at the White House? Aren't there plenty of bedrooms for the head honchos? All the staff could stay at the Best Western.
That's what Camp David is for---but I guess it's not 5 star enough for Trump

Camp David: Welcome to the President's Retreat

aspen-map.jpg
Hes an urban guy, not a camping sort of guy

But..of course..they are not part of a blind trust.

So much for Trump's lies that 'I wouldn’t ever be involved because I wouldn’t care about anything but our country, anything” and "They’re not going to discuss it with me.”

Its yet more icing on the corruption layer cake.

Trump can't make any decisions about any of his businesses, nor even discuss them with those running them if they are in a blind trust.

Yet Trump is going to 'give it away for nothing' at Doral? How would someone that doesn't manage or have any say in any business at Doral....give anything away at a business he doesn't manage or have any say in?

Mulvaney was asked this question and went into a rambling stupor. Anyone here have an explanation for how that works?
The old bastard will always be the boss and he made no secret of it when he was running for President. Calling it a "phony emoluments clause" was kinda stupid on his part though. lol Nothing like sticking your foot in it and then when that gets called, sticking in the other foot. I don't know how he manages to get a word out of his mouth.

I can see that, too.

The old bastard will always be the boss and he made no secret of it when he was running for President. Calling it a "phony emoluments clause" was kinda stupid on his part though. lol Nothing like sticking your foot in it and then when that gets called, sticking in the other foot. I don't know how he manages to get a word out of his mouth.

Trump's supporters don't actually care about corruption or Trump directly profiting off the White House.

Trump didn't say emoluments clause was phony - he said the MSM's hysteria about his violating the emoluments clause was phony. As it is.

Trump didn't say emoluments clause was phony - he said the MSM's hysteria about his violating the emoluments clause was phony. As it is.
Since you felt the need to double post this....back at you:

Don't you ever get tired of reinterpreting Trump's utterances? He said..what he said..and that is what he said. No special interpretation needed.
It seems that every time Trump opens his mouth...his adherents have to parse his words..to find the sweet spot of ignorance that soothes..rather than the glaring spotlight of literal comment...that destroys their comfortable illusions.

Yes, his detractors are guilty as well..of taking the worst possible interpretation..and running with it. Although I don't see why...Trump's habit of 'doubling down' on his mishaps...does him no good at all.

Forum List

Back