Trump Declares Trade War On India, Imposes New Tariffs

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018
'President Trump has a victory present for newly re-elected Prime Minister Narendra Modi - and it's the economic equivalent of a flaming bag of feces left on India's doorstep.

In his latest act of protectionist aggression in what has already been an action-packed week, Trump late Friday announced that his administration was terminating India's designation as a developing nation under a trade program that allowed Indian exporters to ship 2,000 products into the US duty free. The decision to revoke India's preferential trade status, which mirrors Trump's decision to revoke Turkey's status under the program a few weeks back, comes one day after Modi was sworn in for a second term.

Under the decades-old program - known as the Generalized System of Preferences - Indian companies were able to avoid some $5.7 billion in duties back in 2017.

Bloomberg, Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer has become increasingly frustrated with India’s trade barriers and practices. The trade rep has taken issue with the country’s self-designation as a developing nation at the World Trade Organization.

The White House's Friday proclamation also imposes tariffs on solar cells and washing machines from India and Turkey. Those tariffs had been imposed by Trump in 2018, but India and Turkey had been exempt because of their status as developing nations under the GSP.

One critic of Trump's decision warned that ending the designation for India would cost American businesses hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

Dan Anthony, executive director of the Coalition for GSP, a trade group, said that the decision "will cost American businesses over $300 million in additional tariffs every year."

"There are no winners from today’s decision," Anthony said in a statement.

"American importers will pay more, while some American exporters will continue to face current market access barriers in India and others, including farmers, are very likely to be subject to new retaliatory tariffs."'

I love it...another blow to Trump's re-election chances as he (on a much smaller scale then China/Mexico) hurts the economy just that much more.

This moron just keeps making mistake after mistake...I LOVE IT.

Sure, it's sad to see America suffer...but Trump is the cancer that has to be cut out. And sadly, the American economy has to suffer for this to happen.

Besides, I did not vote for the guy and I warned people for years about his crazy tariffs...so my conscious is clear. And my investments are protected from the the destruction Trump is bringing...so my portfolio is 'safe'.

Keep it up Donnie Moron.

'President Trump has a victory present for newly re-elected Prime Minister Narendra Modi - and it's the economic equivalent of a flaming bag of feces left on India's doorstep.

In his latest act of protectionist aggression in what has already been an action-packed week, Trump late Friday announced that his administration was terminating India's designation as a developing nation under a trade program that allowed Indian exporters to ship 2,000 products into the US duty free. The decision to revoke India's preferential trade status, which mirrors Trump's decision to revoke Turkey's status under the program a few weeks back, comes one day after Modi was sworn in for a second term.

Under the decades-old program - known as the Generalized System of Preferences - Indian companies were able to avoid some $5.7 billion in duties back in 2017.

Bloomberg, Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer has become increasingly frustrated with India’s trade barriers and practices. The trade rep has taken issue with the country’s self-designation as a developing nation at the World Trade Organization.

The White House's Friday proclamation also imposes tariffs on solar cells and washing machines from India and Turkey. Those tariffs had been imposed by Trump in 2018, but India and Turkey had been exempt because of their status as developing nations under the GSP.

One critic of Trump's decision warned that ending the designation for India would cost American businesses hundreds of millions of dollars a year.

Dan Anthony, executive director of the Coalition for GSP, a trade group, said that the decision "will cost American businesses over $300 million in additional tariffs every year."

"American importers will pay more, while some American exporters will continue to face current market access barriers in India and others, including farmers, are very likely to be subject to new retaliatory tariffs."'

I love it...another blow to Trump's re-election chances as he (on a much smaller scale then China/Mexico) hurts the economy just that much more.

Sure, it's sad to see America suffer...but Trump is the cancer that has to be cut out. And sadly, the American economy has to suffer for this to happen.

Besides, I did not vote for the guy and I warned people for years about his crazy tariffs...so my conscious is clear. And my investments are protected from the the destruction Trump is bringing...so my portfolio is 'safe'.

Keep it up Donnie Moron.
Sometimes you have to wait to see how things play out-Look at Michael Avenatti.

Keep it up Donnie Moron.
Can't he just make those all those Indian telemarketers and customer service reps illegal?

Keep it up Donnie Moron.
This is not the kind of mistake his supporters will recognize. It is just going to slow down our economy, hurt business, force other countries to trade elsewhere. The Trumpsters will still vote for him as long as he keeps slamming on Hispanics.

This is not the kind of mistake his supporters will recognize. It is just going to slow down our economy, hurt business, force other countries to trade elsewhere. The Trumpsters will still vote for him as long as he keeps slamming on Hispanics.

th

Considering most the other countries don't want to pay their employees much more than 25-50 cents an hour, if that, that will work out well for them.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Last edited:
  • Banned

Keep it up Donnie Moron.

I disagree (partially). Sure, his hardcore, demented brown shirts will vote for him, no matter what. But they are not REMOTELY enough votes for him to win in 2020. He needs the entire Rep party and some indy's (remember, he lost the PV in 2016 and 75-100,000 different votes in key districts and he would have lost the EC as well).
And once the economy starts to falter (or the Fed has to MASSIVELY bail it out to keep it afloat)...the indy's and many Rep's who held their nose and voted for Trump, will leave or stay home on election night.

First year economics students know that no one wins a trade war (but a few wealthy people). It's econ 101. It's 'well duh' stuff.

These tariffs will destroy the economy - slowly - and either Trump will be forced to back off of them (and look the fool) or stay with them and watch the economy crumble.

This is a HUGE windfall for America as Trump is the cancer that needs to be removed...and, fortunately, he is killing himself.

Keep it up Donnie Moron.

So....you’re all for tax breaks for foreign companies in foreign third world shit holes that take our jobs.

By the way, President Trump isn’t declaring a “trade war” on anyone. He’s just the first President to do something about the trade war we’ve been losing for the last 30 years.

Keep it up Donnie Moron.

So....you’re all for tax breaks for foreign companies in foreign third world shit holes that take our jobs.

By the way, President Trump isn’t declaring a “trade war” on anyone. He’s just the first President to do something about the trade war we’ve been losing for the last 30 years.

Well, if you lost your Fruit of the Loom job to India, I can see how you might take it personally.

Keep it up Donnie Moron.

NO WONDER I can't find Vindaloo sauce at a reasonable price. :banghead:

Forum List

Back