Trump claims driving would be riskier if fuel standards tougher

Obama done it so it MUST be undone. I'm afraid Dotard has gone full Retard. :rolleyes:

<snips>

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration says people would drive more and be exposed to increased risk if their cars get better gas mileage, an argument intended to justify freezing Obama-era toughening of fuel standards.

Transportation experts dispute the arguments, contained in a draft of the administration’s proposals prepared this summer, excerpts of which were obtained by The Associated Press.

Experts say the logic that heavier vehicles are safer doesn’t hold up because lighter, newer vehicles perform as well or better than older, heavier versions in crash tests, and because the weight difference between the Obama and Trump requirements would be minimal.

“Allow me to be skeptical,” said Giorgio Rizzoni, an engineering professor and director of the Center for Automotive Research at Ohio State University. “To say that safety is a direct result of somehow freezing the fuel economy mandate for a few years, I think that’s a stretch.”

Experts say that a heavier, bigger vehicle would incur less damage in a crash with a smaller, lighter one and that fatality rates also are higher for smaller vehicles. But they also say that lighter vehicles with metals such as aluminum, magnesium, titanium and lighter, high-strength steel alloys perform as well or better than their predecessors in crash tests.

Alan Taub, professor of materials science and engineering at the University of Michigan, said he would choose a 2017 Malibu over a heavier one from 20 years earlier. It’s engineered better, has more features to avoid crashes and additional air bags, among other things. “You want to be in the newer vehicle,” he said.​

US says driving would be riskier if fuel standards tougher

Yup President Trump cares about the environment ( higher gas prices) and saving life's ( people drive less, lower the odds)

But seriously I would rather be in a car today going up against a 60s tank any day, these cars are getting engineered way to good with safety in mind.

But seriously I would rather be in a car today going up against a 60s tank any day, these cars are getting engineered way to good with safety in mind.

What about a car today versus a car tomorrow that has to weigh 200 pounds less?
Or one next week that has to weigh 300 pounds less?
Or one next month that has to weigh 400 pounds less?

Exotic materials are being invented still all the time.

So the 54.5 MPG car is gonna be carbon fiber and cost $60K?

Nonsense and besides - There is no truth to the rumor that you can't make larger cars more fuel efficient.

Great. What was the secret to Obama's plan to basically double MPG without making vehicles lighter?

Nothing wrong with making cars lighter - NOTHING at all. Observe

Nothing wrong with making cars lighter - NOTHING at all.

Right. You can pull another 500 pounds off every car on the street, with no decline in safety, eh?

Correct - Yes indeed you can. Now, you gonna take the '59 Bel Air over the '09 Malibu in a head on?

Sayonara Skippy! :)

Correct - Yes indeed you can.

DERP!

Now, you gonna take the '59 Bel Air over the '09 Malibu in a head on?

I'd rather compare a 2017 Malibu to a 2019 Malibu that gets 54.5 MPG.

I am glad you posted that video, so I didn't have to find it.

How helpful is the 2009 Malibu in a discussion of 54.5 MPG cars?

upload_2018-8-2_11-52-11.png

Fuel Economy of the 2009 Chevrolet Malibu

Obama done it so it MUST be undone. I'm afraid Dotard has gone full Retard. :rolleyes:

<snips>

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration says people would drive more and be exposed to increased risk if their cars get better gas mileage, an argument intended to justify freezing Obama-era toughening of fuel standards.

Transportation experts dispute the arguments, contained in a draft of the administration’s proposals prepared this summer, excerpts of which were obtained by The Associated Press.

Experts say the logic that heavier vehicles are safer doesn’t hold up because lighter, newer vehicles perform as well or better than older, heavier versions in crash tests, and because the weight difference between the Obama and Trump requirements would be minimal.

“Allow me to be skeptical,” said Giorgio Rizzoni, an engineering professor and director of the Center for Automotive Research at Ohio State University. “To say that safety is a direct result of somehow freezing the fuel economy mandate for a few years, I think that’s a stretch.”

Experts say that a heavier, bigger vehicle would incur less damage in a crash with a smaller, lighter one and that fatality rates also are higher for smaller vehicles. But they also say that lighter vehicles with metals such as aluminum, magnesium, titanium and lighter, high-strength steel alloys perform as well or better than their predecessors in crash tests.

Alan Taub, professor of materials science and engineering at the University of Michigan, said he would choose a 2017 Malibu over a heavier one from 20 years earlier. It’s engineered better, has more features to avoid crashes and additional air bags, among other things. “You want to be in the newer vehicle,” he said.​

Yup President Trump cares about the environment ( higher gas prices) and saving life's ( people drive less, lower the odds)

What about a car today versus a car tomorrow that has to weigh 200 pounds less?
Or one next week that has to weigh 300 pounds less?
Or one next month that has to weigh 400 pounds less?

Exotic materials are being invented still all the time.

So the 54.5 MPG car is gonna be carbon fiber and cost $60K?

I'll get back to you on this - have not done the research.

<snips>

Further proof Trump is a liar and demagogue.

Forum List

Back