Trump claims driving would be riskier if fuel standards tougher

Obama done it so it MUST be undone. I'm afraid Dotard has gone full Retard. :rolleyes:

<snips>

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration says people would drive more and be exposed to increased risk if their cars get better gas mileage, an argument intended to justify freezing Obama-era toughening of fuel standards.

Transportation experts dispute the arguments, contained in a draft of the administration’s proposals prepared this summer, excerpts of which were obtained by The Associated Press.

Experts say the logic that heavier vehicles are safer doesn’t hold up because lighter, newer vehicles perform as well or better than older, heavier versions in crash tests, and because the weight difference between the Obama and Trump requirements would be minimal.

“Allow me to be skeptical,” said Giorgio Rizzoni, an engineering professor and director of the Center for Automotive Research at Ohio State University. “To say that safety is a direct result of somehow freezing the fuel economy mandate for a few years, I think that’s a stretch.”

Experts say that a heavier, bigger vehicle would incur less damage in a crash with a smaller, lighter one and that fatality rates also are higher for smaller vehicles. But they also say that lighter vehicles with metals such as aluminum, magnesium, titanium and lighter, high-strength steel alloys perform as well or better than their predecessors in crash tests.

Alan Taub, professor of materials science and engineering at the University of Michigan, said he would choose a 2017 Malibu over a heavier one from 20 years earlier. It’s engineered better, has more features to avoid crashes and additional air bags, among other things. “You want to be in the newer vehicle,” he said.​

US says driving would be riskier if fuel standards tougher
/----/ So have a head on collision with a 2018 Caddy that gets 25 mpg with a 1959 Caddy that gets 7 mpg. See which one survives. Which one would you want to be riding in?
View attachment 208097View attachment 208098

The new one, definitely.

Obama done it so it MUST be undone. I'm afraid Dotard has gone full Retard. :rolleyes:

<snips>

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Trump administration says people would drive more and be exposed to increased risk if their cars get better gas mileage, an argument intended to justify freezing Obama-era toughening of fuel standards.

Transportation experts dispute the arguments, contained in a draft of the administration’s proposals prepared this summer, excerpts of which were obtained by The Associated Press.

Experts say the logic that heavier vehicles are safer doesn’t hold up because lighter, newer vehicles perform as well or better than older, heavier versions in crash tests, and because the weight difference between the Obama and Trump requirements would be minimal.

“Allow me to be skeptical,” said Giorgio Rizzoni, an engineering professor and director of the Center for Automotive Research at Ohio State University. “To say that safety is a direct result of somehow freezing the fuel economy mandate for a few years, I think that’s a stretch.”

Experts say that a heavier, bigger vehicle would incur less damage in a crash with a smaller, lighter one and that fatality rates also are higher for smaller vehicles. But they also say that lighter vehicles with metals such as aluminum, magnesium, titanium and lighter, high-strength steel alloys perform as well or better than their predecessors in crash tests.

Alan Taub, professor of materials science and engineering at the University of Michigan, said he would choose a 2017 Malibu over a heavier one from 20 years earlier. It’s engineered better, has more features to avoid crashes and additional air bags, among other things. “You want to be in the newer vehicle,” he said.​

/----/ So have a head on collision with a 2018 Caddy that gets 25 mpg with a 1959 Caddy that gets 7 mpg. See which one survives. Which one would you want to be riding in?
View attachment 208097View attachment 208098

Give me that 59 Caddy any day of the week.

Great idea - No air bags and no seatbelts - What a Derp :)

We also need to get rid of the Ethanol requirement. It is a terrible, inefficient fuel additive that is only their for political reasons. It also can lead to engine problems especially if it sits for a while.

<snips>

Pardon me while I wear your "smart" car like a roller skate?

We also need to get rid of the Ethanol requirement. It is a terrible, inefficient fuel additive that is only their for political reasons. It also can lead to engine problems especially if it sits for a while.

I've been running 10% plus ethanol for ten years and only drive 7-8k per year so it sits for days at a time -
No issues with my '08 Nissan 4x4 Frontier LE Crew Cab. Runs like a top.

Lighter cars have a higher death rate.
Obama's 54.5 MPG wish was beyond moronic.

Nonsense and besides - There is no truth to the rumor that you can't make larger cars more fuel efficient.
Hell, big truck manufacturers like Freightliner have been increasing efficiency and reducing emissions for the past dozen or so years -
Read the damn story and get back to me.

Nonsense and besides - There is no truth to the rumor that you can't make larger cars more fuel efficient.

Great. What was the secret to Obama's plan to basically double MPG without making vehicles lighter?

Nothing wrong with making cars lighter - NOTHING at all. Observe

Hell, big truck manufacturers like Freightliner have been increasing efficiency and reducing emissions for the past dozen or so years -

Great. What was the secret to Obama's plan to basically double MPG without making vehicles lighter?

Nothing wrong with making cars lighter - NOTHING at all.

Right. You can pull another 500 pounds off every car on the street, with no decline in safety, eh?

Right. You can pull another 500 pounds off every car on the street, with no decline in safety, eh?

Correct - Yes indeed you can. Now, you gonna take the '59 Bel Air over the '09 Malibu in a head on?

Sayonara Skippy! :)

Correct - Yes indeed you can. Now, you gonna take the '59 Bel Air over the '09 Malibu in a head on?

Correct - Yes indeed you can.

DERP!

Now, you gonna take the '59 Bel Air over the '09 Malibu in a head on?

I'd rather compare a 2017 Malibu to a 2019 Malibu that gets 54.5 MPG.

I need to drain, and run the gas out all the Ethanol contaminated gasoline in my lawn tractor, hand mower, and other gas powered implements every year because if it sits for a few months it gums up the carburetors, and eats the fuel lines.

Also, piston powered airplanes rated for mogas can not use auto fuel with ethanol in it as it also eats the fuel lines, and causes other problems.

So what your bitch Obama told the African people they shouldn't have AC as the skinny faggity looking prick walks off to an AIR CONDITIONED LIMO then onto a JET.

DERP!

The 2018 Malibu has a five star crash rating and the newer car is gonna be the safer car - Period.
2018 CHEVROLET MALIBU 4 DR FWD

But hey - You're choice Derpy

DERP!

The 2018 Malibu has a five star crash rating and the newer car is gonna be the safer car - Period.
2018 CHEVROLET MALIBU 4 DR FWD

But hey - You're choice Derpy

Safe cars are awesome!!!!

Now let's see how the 2018 Malibu compares to a 54.5 MPG Malibu.

<snips>

Yup President Trump cares about the environment ( higher gas prices) and saving life's ( people drive less, lower the odds)

But seriously I would rather be in a car today going up against a 60s tank any day, these cars are getting engineered way to good with safety in mind.

But seriously I would rather be in a car today going up against a 60s tank any day, these cars are getting engineered way to good with safety in mind.

What about a car today versus a car tomorrow that has to weigh 200 pounds less?
Or one next week that has to weigh 300 pounds less?
Or one next month that has to weigh 400 pounds less?

Exotic materials are being invented still all the time.

DERP!

I am glad you posted that video, so I didn't have to find it.

Forum List

Back