If uninsured, what would be the range of the cost of an MRI?

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
Just a ballpark please for any of you who ever had to pay due to lack of insurance. Or, if you worked in the industry or happen to know the price.

I assume a smaller town or state would be cheaper. Say, N.H vs N.Y or Cali but I don't know.

Just a ballpark please for any of you who ever had to pay due to lack of insurance. Or, if you worked in the industry or happen to know the price.

I assume a smaller town or state would be cheaper. Say, N.H vs N.Y or Cali but I don't know.
how about you call the people that just did yours and ask them??

I had to pay out of pocket for an MRI about 10 years ago because I had Obamacare, which is like being uninsured. I was pleasantly surprised to learn it was only $300.

That is very affordable, thank you.
NP, I feel sorry for you bruh. I worked in Calgary for 2 years and whenever I asked about the "free healthcare" the response was deep belly laughs... the general sentiment was "anything more than a hangnail, and we head straight across the border!" And that was 20 years ago.

Good luck, get the SelfPay price quoted before you head out. You're better off with a clinic than a hospital.

NP, I feel sorry for you bruh. I worked in Calgary for 2 years and whenever I asked about the "free healthcare" the response was deep belly laughs... the general sentiment was "anything more than a hangnail, and we head straight across the border!" And that was 20 years ago.

Good luck, get the SelfPay price quoted before you head out. You're better off with a clinic than a hospital.
One final question if I may. How much time do I need before scheduling? Or, could I just show up and get it done that day?

Not sure, I'm on the other side of country, but I would think you could get an appointment within a week.

Also, they aren't going to provide you the results, it will go to your doctor. Shouldn't matter that it will be a Canadian doctor.

Last edited:

I had heart surgery about 30 years ago. Two of the nurses came from BC to CA. I asked them if I could get the surgery done in Canada for free and they laughed and said, "Sure, but you might die while you are waiting."

That's probably the insured price. We've got BCBS insurance but the family deductible is $7K so we elect to self-pay. My wife had an MRI done on her upper spine in 2021 for $375.

Granted, things are cheaper here in Texas.
I would imagine there is a range of prices depending on what is being imaged e.g. hand vs. spine vs. full body. I just searched the average. Usually, insurance prices are lower because the prices are negotiated. Uninsured don't have that luxury.

I would imagine there is a range of prices depending on what is being imaged e.g. hand vs. spine vs. full body. I just searched the average. Usually, insurance prices are lower because the prices are negotiated. Uninsured don't have that luxury.
Just the opposite. I had PT and the price per session was MORE if I had insurance.

Forum List

Back