Trump: Cancel Paris, Cut Funds for UN Climate, Save the coal industry

According to the most recent data available (2003–04), the two plants combined emit:

• 230 lbs of mercury, which causes brain damage [1];
  • 17,765 tons of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide, which cause ozone and acid rain, and become particulate matter that contributes to breathing problems such as asthma [2];
  • 260,000 lbs of soot [3]
Like most coal-fired power plants in Illinois, because of their age, the Fisk and Crawford power plants are exempt from federal regulations that require modern pollution control devices. The Fisk plant was most recently rebuilt in 1958 and Crawford in 1959. The idea behind “grandfathering” the 1950s-era plants in the 1977 Federal Clean Air Act was that the dirty old plants were going to be replaced by more modern, cleaner plants in a matter of years. This was costly error in judgment we are still suffering through and fighting to correct.

The current federal framework for reducing power-plant pollution nationwide, the so-called “cap and trade” program, allows heavy pollution to be concentrated in areas that are home to people who are most vulnerable to the ill health effects from it, areas with lower-income individuals and minorities who are disenfranchised from the political process and power structure. This is the core concept of environmental injustice.

In fact, according to a 2004 study by the League of United Latin American Citizens, 7 in 10 hispanics live in counties that violate air pollution standards.

Citations:

PERRO - Coal-Fired Power Plants in Chicago

And you continue to lie.

Note that I said "modern coal fired power plants." Plants built after 1977 all have scrubbers that remove that vast majority of the pollutants. Plants that are 60 years old are near the end of their serviceable lives. Obama's recently issued EPA regulations, on the other hand, are putting plants as young as 15 years old out of business.

Coal-Fired Power Plants en español

Why are coal-fired power plants a concern?
Coal is the largest energy source for generating electricity at U.S. power plants. There are approximately 1,200 coal-fired generators at 450 facilities in the United States. They generate about 44.6 percent of the country's electricity.

There are approximately 125 coal-fired power facilities in the Southwest. Texas generates more electricity from coal-fired power plants than any other state in the country.

Coal-fired power plants are among the country's greatest sources of pollution. They are the biggest industrial emitters of mercury and arsenic into the air. They emit 84 of the 187 hazardous air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as posing a threat to human health and the environment.

Coal-fired power plants also emit cadmium, chromium, dioxins, formaldehyde, furans, lead, nickel, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. They emit volatile organic compounds, including benzene, toluene, and xylene. Emissions include acid gases such as hydrogen chloride and hydrogen fluoride. Small amounts of radioactive materials such as radium, thorium, and uranium are also emitted.

Burning coal in power plants emits sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides. Sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides react with precipitation in the atmosphere to form acid rain. Burning coal also produces particulate matter.

Coal-fired and oil-fired power plants are also called fossil-fueled power plants. Oil-fired power plants generate only 1 percent of the country's electricity.

About 60 percent of sulfur dioxide emissions, 50 percent of mercury emissions, and 13 percent of nitrogen oxide emissions come from fossil-fueled power plants. Coal- and oil-fired power plants also account for about 60 percent of arsenic emissions, 30 percent of nickel emissions, and 20 percent of chromium emissions.

Coal-fired power plants account for 81 percent of the electric power industry's greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to global warming and climate change. The most significant greenhouse gas emitted by coal-fired power plants is carbon dioxide. They also emit smaller amounts of methane and nitrous oxide.

The hazardous air emissions from coal-fired power plants cause serious human health impacts. Arsenic, benzene, cadmium, chromium compounds, TCDD dioxin, formaldehyde, and nickel compounds are listed as carcinogens in theThirteenth Report on Carcinogens published by the National Toxicology Program. Furan and lead are listed as "reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens" in the Thirteenth Report on Carcinogens.

Hazardous air pollutants emitted by coal-fired power plants can cause a wide range of health effects, including heart and lung diseases, such as asthma. Exposure to these pollutants can damage the brain, eyes, skin, and breathing passages. It can affect the kidneys, lungs, and nervous and respiratory systems. Exposure can also affect learning, memory, and behavior.

Mercury pollutes lakes, streams, and rivers, and accumulates in fish. Nearly all fish and shellfish contain mercury. People who eat large amounts of fish from mercury-contaminated lakes and rivers, including Native Americans, are at the greatest risk of exposure to mercury.

The EPA and Food and Drug Administration issue fish advisories to recommend that people limit or avoid eating certain kinds or amounts of fish. Exposure to mercury is a particular concern for women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children. Fish advisories have been issued in every state.

People who live near coal-fired power plants have the greatest health risks from power plant pollution. Many pollutants such as metals and dioxins may attach to fine particles and travel hundreds or even thousands of miles.

Tox Town - Coal-Fired Power Plants - Text Version

LOL. Coal fired plants are so harmless! Any more lies you would like to peddle?

According to the most recent data available (2003–04), the two plants combined emit:

• 17,765 tons of sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxide, which cause ozone and acid rain, and become particulate matter that contributes to breathing problems such as asthma [2];
Like most coal-fired power plants in Illinois, because of their age, the Fisk and Crawford power plants are exempt from federal regulations that require modern pollution control devices. The Fisk plant was most recently rebuilt in 1958 and Crawford in 1959. The idea behind “grandfathering” the 1950s-era plants in the 1977 Federal Clean Air Act was that the dirty old plants were going to be replaced by more modern, cleaner plants in a matter of years. This was costly error in judgment we are still suffering through and fighting to correct.

The current federal framework for reducing power-plant pollution nationwide, the so-called “cap and trade” program, allows heavy pollution to be concentrated in areas that are home to people who are most vulnerable to the ill health effects from it, areas with lower-income individuals and minorities who are disenfranchised from the political process and power structure. This is the core concept of environmental injustice.

In fact, according to a 2004 study by the League of United Latin American Citizens, 7 in 10 hispanics live in counties that violate air pollution standards.

Citations:

And you continue to lie.

Note that I said "modern coal fired power plants." Plants built in the mid 70s or later all have scrubbers that remove that vast majority of the pollutants.
And what of the 'dirty' plants that are still running? And, as you can see by the second article, the 'clean' plants are not all that clean. But you will lie about that also.

Obviously that you agree these are good ideas.

Fuck coal and fuck Trump for denying the overwhelming scientific evidence from AROUND THE WORLD that man made climate change is real. You simply believe it it's not because republicans told you not to. Don't you think that's kind of pathetic?

Saying "fuck coal" is the same as saying "fuck poor people." Fuck energy that they can afford. The so-called overwhelming scientific evidence if far from convincing. The average global temperature has been flat or declining for almost 20 years.
Yeah I don't care if it will kill jobs. Fuck coal. I couldn't stress that enough. Oh and you not finding it convincing means jack shit because anyone who understand science would say otherwise. It's not like you know anything about geology or any of its fields.

I realize you don't give a flying fuck about the poor. No need for you to announce the fact.

The claim that you understand science doesn't pass the laugh test.
Actually I refer to the experts and recognize the wide consensus around the world of peer reviewed studies that provide evidence. You cherry pick small studies many of which are funded by oil companies saying otherwise.

Consensus isn't science, bonehead. It's religion. The climate studies you refer to are all funding by government.
Lol you are such a dumbass. Okay so consensus isn't science but scumbag republicans and Faux News telling you man made climate change is a hoax is....what?

Coal is the largest energy source for generating electricity at U.S. power plants. There are approximately 1,200 coal-fired generators at 450 facilities in the United States. They generate about 44.6 percent of the country's electricity.

There are approximately 125 coal-fired power facilities in the Southwest. Texas generates more electricity from coal-fired power plants than any other state in the country.

Coal-fired power plants are among the country's greatest sources of pollution. They are the biggest industrial emitters of mercury and arsenic into the air. They emit 84 of the 187 hazardous air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) as posing a threat to human health and the environment.

Coal-fired power plants also emit cadmium, chromium, dioxins, formaldehyde, furans, lead, nickel, and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. They emit volatile organic compounds, including benzene, toluene, and xylene. Emissions include acid gases such as hydrogen chloride and hydrogen fluoride. Small amounts of radioactive materials such as radium, thorium, and uranium are also emitted.

Burning coal in power plants emits sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides. Sulfur dioxide and nitrogen oxides react with precipitation in the atmosphere to form acid rain. Burning coal also produces particulate matter.

Coal-fired and oil-fired power plants are also called fossil-fueled power plants. Oil-fired power plants generate only 1 percent of the country's electricity.

About 60 percent of sulfur dioxide emissions, 50 percent of mercury emissions, and 13 percent of nitrogen oxide emissions come from fossil-fueled power plants. Coal- and oil-fired power plants also account for about 60 percent of arsenic emissions, 30 percent of nickel emissions, and 20 percent of chromium emissions.

Coal-fired power plants account for 81 percent of the electric power industry's greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to global warming and climate change. The most significant greenhouse gas emitted by coal-fired power plants is carbon dioxide. They also emit smaller amounts of methane and nitrous oxide.

The hazardous air emissions from coal-fired power plants cause serious human health impacts. Arsenic, benzene, cadmium, chromium compounds, TCDD dioxin, formaldehyde, and nickel compounds are listed as carcinogens in theThirteenth Report on Carcinogens published by the National Toxicology Program. Furan and lead are listed as "reasonably anticipated to be human carcinogens" in the Thirteenth Report on Carcinogens.

Hazardous air pollutants emitted by coal-fired power plants can cause a wide range of health effects, including heart and lung diseases, such as asthma. Exposure to these pollutants can damage the brain, eyes, skin, and breathing passages. It can affect the kidneys, lungs, and nervous and respiratory systems. Exposure can also affect learning, memory, and behavior.

Mercury pollutes lakes, streams, and rivers, and accumulates in fish. Nearly all fish and shellfish contain mercury. People who eat large amounts of fish from mercury-contaminated lakes and rivers, including Native Americans, are at the greatest risk of exposure to mercury.

The EPA and Food and Drug Administration issue fish advisories to recommend that people limit or avoid eating certain kinds or amounts of fish. Exposure to mercury is a particular concern for women who may become pregnant, pregnant women, nursing mothers, and young children. Fish advisories have been issued in every state.

People who live near coal-fired power plants have the greatest health risks from power plant pollution. Many pollutants such as metals and dioxins may attach to fine particles and travel hundreds or even thousands of miles.

The essential facts that your anti capitalist tirade avoids is that all these substances are emitted in amounts so small that they are a small fraction of the amounts found naturally occurring in Nature. Take Mercury, for instance. All the coal fire power plants in the world emit 5% of the total worldwide mercury emissions. The rest comes from natural sources. Of the part that comes from man made sources, most of it comes from China where scrubbers aren't required. Reducing Mercury emissions in the United States to zero wouldn't improve the health of Americans one iota.

Also, CO2 isn't a pollutant. It's plant food. It helps to feed millions of people.

This kind of cherry picked information is good at scaring people, which is the only reason the EPA's insane policies aren't laughed off the stage, but it has little relevance to sound environmental policy.

Saying "fuck coal" is the same as saying "fuck poor people." Fuck energy that they can afford. The so-called overwhelming scientific evidence if far from convincing. The average global temperature has been flat or declining for almost 20 years.
Yeah I don't care if it will kill jobs. Fuck coal. I couldn't stress that enough. Oh and you not finding it convincing means jack shit because anyone who understand science would say otherwise. It's not like you know anything about geology or any of its fields.

I realize you don't give a flying fuck about the poor. No need for you to announce the fact.

Actually I refer to the experts and recognize the wide consensus around the world of peer reviewed studies that provide evidence. You cherry pick small studies many of which are funded by oil companies saying otherwise.

Consensus isn't science, bonehead. It's religion. The climate studies you refer to are all funding by government.
Lol you are such a dumbass. Okay so consensus isn't science but scumbag republicans and Faux News telling you man made climate change is a hoax is....what?

I don't get my views from FOX News, douche bag.

Citations:

And you continue to lie.

Note that I said "modern coal fired power plants." Plants built in the mid 70s or later all have scrubbers that remove that vast majority of the pollutants.
And what of the 'dirty' plants that are still running? And, as you can see by the second article, the 'clean' plants are not all that clean. But you will lie about that also.

They will die off in short order. They are old and expensive to maintain.

You're told your views by Boss Koch.

Right just from republicans. That's such a better alternative!

Oh my, AGW is a cult. And that is why every Scientific Society, every National Academy of Science, and every major University has policy statements that AGW is real, and a clear and present danger. You are such a silly yapping little liar, Pattycake.

Yes, it is. High priests masquerading as climatologists. Morality as in it is immoral to not believe in AGW. The scriptures as presented by the various IPCC AR's. And of course the demand to persecute the heretics who don't "believe" as you do.

Yep. AGW is a cult.

No, you get them from the National Enquirer.

Bripat, you are a sad, dumb, delusional individual. It pains me to see you this way.
Trump appeals quite strongly to the authoritarian/submissive personality -- much in the way Hitler and Mussolini did. Their buttons are easy to push.
He also appears to appeal quite strongly to vast numbers of Americans who are simply tired of the Liberal bullshit and the Magic Negro and who want an end to it.

You should have heard his speech in Fresno. He saw the devastation caused by the EPA and said "this wasn't a drought. There is no drought, I will do what it takes to get the water turned back on." To say the crowd went wild is an understatement.

Oh my, AGW is a cult. And that is why every Scientific Society, every National Academy of Science, and every major University has policy statements that AGW is real, and a clear and present danger. You are such a silly yapping little liar, Pattycake.
Sure, no possible ulterior motive with people feeding off the public titty. How big is your nipple?

Yes, this is the same Trump that claims that California has no drought. And that Mexico will pay for a wall. And you stupid rubes eat it up. What a bunch of dumb asses you are. Willfully ignorant, and stupid to boot.

Just how is Trump going to make the utilities in Texas and Oklahoma that are investing in solar and wind, even when there is not a subsidy, cease to invest? And his lies concerning the bird kill by the wind mills is another lie, same that the 'Conservatives' have been pedaling for years, and has repeatedly been debunked here.

Adios!

Wowsa. An unsourced op-ed from a website called Tox Town. Case closed!

How about we cut funding to the UN altogether. Liberals bitch about the money we give to Israel but don't seem to mind the over 6 billion a year we give to that worthless organization.

Hey dumb fuck didn't you get your talking point memo yet idiot?

Koch came out and said he thinks man made climate change is true.

The essential facts that your anti capitalist tirade avoids is that all these substances are emitted in amounts so small that they are a small fraction of the amounts found naturally occurring in Nature. Take Mercury, for instance. All the coal fire power plants in the world emit 5% of the total worldwide mercury emissions. The rest comes from natural sources. Of the part that comes from man made sources, most of it comes from China where scrubbers aren't required. Reducing Mercury emissions in the United States to zero wouldn't improve the health of Americans one iota.

Also, CO2 isn't a pollutant. It's plant food. It helps to feed millions of people.

This kind of cherry picked information is good at scaring people, which is the only reason the EPA's insane policies aren't laughed off the stage, but it has little relevance to sound environmental policy.

Yes, yes! And the only reason that the EPA can pull this off, is because some fools in the Supreme court, decided CO2 was a pollutant. We exhale it, so basically our government has named us all as polluters, lol.

As far as wind, solar, or anything else, let it compete without subsidy. Just as everything else left alone in the economy, when it becomes more affordable to own it, it will defeat fossil fuels. It will happen eventually, no matter what, as fossil fuels dwindle so the price rises. May take 3 or 4 hundred years, but so what!

And finally------------>why do these people fight so hard over a science that has not been proven? For if it had been proven, then why did they have to cook the books to make their point! You would think that INTELLIGENT people who have been lied to over, and over, and over again by their governments, would have a red flag go off in their heads when the scandal about cooking the books and data came into view. But no, they have been indoctrinated sooooooo long, they just can't being themselves to admit they have been deceived, again, as usual, and are no more than useful idiots, as communists would call them.

And by the way-----------> California isn't really having a severe drought, they are having a severe bungle by the left government who didn't want to kill some rodent, so didn't build the dams and causeways to contain the water for future use as it left the Sierra Nevada's. California is a DESERT........let me spell that for you D-E-S-E-R-T! And now you have an influx of how many illegal aliens from Mexico swelling the population in a D-E-S-E-R-T? And to save the rodents, the lefties did NOT put in the infrastructure to contain the water run off, and this proves global warming.........scuse me, global cooling..........scuse me, climate change.......scuse me again, climate disruption how-)

How about we cut funding to the UN altogether. Liberals bitch about the money we give to Israel but don't seem to mind the over 6 billion a year we give to that worthless organization.
Now... now... at least the New York International Old Ladies Debating Society gives The Families a place to talk for a while before they 'go to the matresses'.
wink_smile.gif

Last edited:

Forum List

Back