Truckers are starting a working-class revolution — and the left hates it

You have zero idea of what you talk about. If truckers are so easily replaced, why are they not being replaced now?
It will take time. In reality, shit doesn't magically happen overnight.
Since you claim it's so easy, how many years did you spend behind the wheel of a tractor with a 53' trailer?
None. It takes about 7 weeks to get a CDL in the private sector. Even less depending upon class A/B. They make you drive real rigs and everything! :113: Weird, huh?
I'm dying to know so you and I can have some shop talk.
I love trucks. All kinds. My DD rocks a diesel engine (yes, fuel cost has been fucking me pretty good on the regular, currently). Even though I can very much pilot one, I give absolutely no fucks about semi trucks and/or trailer size queening. They're big, purpose-built, powerful hauling machines and very much can be a sanctuary for the pilot. Their purpose is moving a lot of shit from place to place. Beyond that, meh. I already have a better job. My big trucks are purely for 50/50 recreation/hauling. Respecting the power and the girth is a problem for most, but far from an unobtainable goal.
The analogy I presented was merely to show how desperate most in the transportation industry are because drivers are not abundant
The transportation industry has been desperate for far longer than any Trump or Biden term of office.
Easy to get a CDL? Sure it is after you pass a government background check, spend many hours driving in order to pass the road test and pre-trip inspection flawlessly. Pass the written test. Pass the obstacle course. It's a cinch. I'm sure you can do it on your first try.
Spot on! When you go beyond the 'truck driver' position in life, sometimes the 'government background check' becomes ten-fold even more obtrusive when you have actual skills, no offense intended. The background check for truck drivers, even in the government, is a fucking cake walk. On the list of difficult achievements, obtaining a CDL wasn't even in the top 50.
So what happens if this strike carries to the United States?
It'll be bigger than the Super Bowl.

None. It takes about 7 weeks to get a CDL in the private sector. Even less depending upon class A/B. They make you drive real rigs and everything! :113: Weird, huh?

I love trucks. All kinds. My DD rocks a diesel engine (yes, fuel cost has been fucking me pretty good on the regular, currently). Even though I can very much pilot one, I give absolutely no fucks about semi trucks and/or trailer size queening. They're big, purpose-built, powerful hauling machines and very much can be a sanctuary for the pilot. Their purpose is moving a lot of shit from place to place. Beyond that, meh. I already have a better job. My big trucks are purely for 50/50 recreation/hauling. Respecting the power and the girth is a problem for most, but far from an unobtainable goal.

The transportation industry has been desperate for far longer than any Trump or Biden term of office.

Spot on! When you go beyond the 'truck driver' position in life, sometimes the 'government background check' becomes ten-fold even more obtrusive when you have actual skills, no offense intended. The background check for truck drivers, even in the government, is a fucking cake walk. On the list of difficult achievements, obtaining a CDL wasn't even in the top 50.

Boy, you couldn't drive a truck if your life depended on it.

If it's unacceptable, why is that Canadian commie doing it?

You have zero idea of what you talk about. If truckers are so easily replaced, why are they not being replaced now? Since you claim it's so easy, how many years did you spend behind the wheel of a tractor with a 53' trailer? I'm dying to know so you and I can have some shop talk. The analogy I presented was merely to show how desperate most in the transportation industry are because drivers are not abundant.

Easy to get a CDL? Sure it is after you pass a government background check, spend many hours driving in order to pass the road test and pre-trip inspection flawlessly. Pass the written test. Pass the obstacle course. It's a cinch. I'm sure you can do it on your first try. :aug08_031:

So what happens if this strike carries to the United States? Are you going to find all these easily replacement drivers? Good luck with that one.

I want to see that asshole serpentine a tractor-trailer in reverse through a mall parking lot and into their loading dock. THEN he can talk about how "easily replaced" truckers are.

Boy, you couldn't drive a truck if your life depended on it.

And in true leftist fashion, he has convinced himself that his utter inability to do what they do actually makes him better than them, because HE "has skills", which are undoubtedly held by far more people in this country than can drive a truck.

I had a classmate in my training class who had the same attitude and acted like he was slumming it by condescending to drive a truck. On his road test, he drove the truck into a ditch alongside the road. True story. I'm betting Tumbleweed would be just like that.

You know it alls really crack me up. Our industry has been hurting for drivers for many years. You are not going to replace us period. Most all industry leaders agree it's going to get worse than better. Class B is a straight truck and just about anybody can pass that test, but the first thing you learn behind the wheel of a tractor-trailer is this thing is no big straight truck. When I upgraded my license from B to A, I found that out real quickly. It's two totally different vehicles. That comment of yours alone tells me you have no idea WTF you're talking about.

In my former company my employer had such a hard time finding tractor-trailer drivers that he gave up. He promoted our straight truck drivers instead. One of our experienced drivers would take them out to teach them how to drive a tractor-trailer. It took more than seven weeks, and half the time these very experienced drivers failed the test the first time around. So your seven week comment to get a CDL-A is bullshit as well.

Another thing you learn is that the tests are just the beginning. It's the bare minimum experience needed to successfully pass the test. You are going to get in a hell of a lot worse jams than that obstacle course you had to pass once in the field. You won't have clear views and red cones you can run over, you will have other trucks and cars that you can't hit. In some situations the only way to get into a dock is blind side. That takes years of experience to master.

Once you do get in the field it's not just driving, but driving and keeping a good record. You're on the road ten times longer than other drivers thus subject to being cited ten times more as well. Insurance companies that insure trucks have very little tolerance when it comes to tickets and worse when it comes to accidents. If you're not very good at it, you will lose your job and have a hard time finding another one because of insurance standards.

How does a phrase like that get vomited from a productive member of society? Here's a hint: it doesn't. In 40+ years of employment, it never even crossed my mind to piss on an employer's desk. This sounds like dirtbag gutter snipe logic. I'm beginning to understand why you're a former truck driver.

Correct. Truck drivers are completely replaceable. It is not a difficult job.

A CDL is not a difficult thing to obtain. Any idiot can get one. Truck drivers are completely replaceable. It is not a difficult job.

Other people. A CDL is not a difficult thing to obtain. Any idiot can get one. Truck drivers are completely replaceable. It is not a difficult job.

Blocking trade routes infringes upon the civil liberties of others. It's an act of tyranny. You want to deflect to BLM/Antifa because you think it's okay when your 'side' does it. It's not okay. Your hypocrisy is completely unacceptable.
So much stupid in one post. Not a difficult job? Easy to get CDL? Obviously a lazy shit like you never did any actual work. Only a low education moron would claim those things. Now STFU and remain under your bridge.

You know it alls really crack me up. Our industry has been hurting for drivers for many years. You are not going to replace us period. Most all industry leaders agree it's going to get worse than better. Class B is a straight truck and just about anybody can pass that test, but the first thing you learn behind the wheel of a tractor-trailer is this thing is no big straight truck. When I upgraded my license from B to A, I found that out real quickly. It's two totally different vehicles. That comment of yours alone tells me you have no idea WTF you're talking about.

In my former company my employer had such a hard time finding tractor-trailer drivers that he gave up. He promoted our straight truck drivers instead. One of our experienced drivers would take them out to teach them how to drive a tractor-trailer. It took more than seven weeks, and half the time these very experienced drivers failed the test the first time around. So your seven week comment to get a CDL-A is bullshit as well.

Another thing you learn is that the tests are just the beginning. It's the bare minimum experience needed to successfully pass the test. You are going to get in a hell of a lot worse jams than that obstacle course you had to pass once in the field. You won't have clear views and red cones you can run over, you will have other trucks and cars that you can't hit. In some situations the only way to get into a dock is blind side. That takes years of experience to master.

Once you do get in the field it's not just driving, but driving and keeping a good record. You're on the road ten times longer than other drivers thus subject to being cited ten times more as well. Insurance companies that insure trucks have very little tolerance when it comes to tickets and worse when it comes to accidents. If you're not very good at it, you will lose your job and have a hard time finding another one because of insurance standards.

Oh my God, yes. I remember having to back into a dock once around the corner of the building with the building on my right-hand side. Not only that, some genius had decided that the loading docks needed to be landscaped (!) and had taken a six-foot-wide strip of the far side of the area to put in a decorative drainage slope complete with grass and trees. So one wrong move in one direction, I hit the building (and I couldn't see where the back of the trailer was going because of the corner of the building), and one wrong move in the other direction would have my tractor off into the ditch. It was basically an exercise in me backing up two feet, getting out to check where I was, then getting back in and moving two more feet. And I was sweating bullets the whole time.

Also, I would like to point out that truck drivers are not only on the road longer than other drivers, they're also subjected to much closer scrutiny by the cops than four-wheelers are. Which makes sense, because a badly-driven truck has so much more potential for damage than a badly-driven car does.

Oh my God, yes. I remember having to back into a dock once around the corner of the building with the building on my right-hand side. Not only that, some genius had decided that the loading docks needed to be landscaped (!) and had taken a six-foot-wide strip of the far side of the area to put in a decorative drainage slope complete with grass and trees. So one wrong move in one direction, I hit the building (and I couldn't see where the back of the trailer was going because of the corner of the building), and one wrong move in the other direction would have my tractor off into the ditch. It was basically an exercise in me backing up two feet, getting out to check where I was, then getting back in and moving two more feet. And I was sweating bullets the whole time.

Also, I would like to point out that truck drivers are not only on the road longer than other drivers, they're also subjected to much closer scrutiny by the cops than four-wheelers are. Which makes sense, because a badly-driven truck has so much more potential for damage than a badly-driven car does.

I'd love to see him drive through a 10 mile construction zone when the morons that design the site only leave a few inches on each side of your trailer and you gotta go 50mph to not greatly slow down traffic with a concrete barrier right next to your passenger side. Those construction zones usually have bad roads to drive on and the smallest pothole can pull your steering wheel to one side or the other unlike what those potholes do to cars.

I'd love to see him drive through a 10 mile construction zone when the morons that design the site only leave a few inches on each side of your trailer and you gotta go 50mph to not greatly slow down traffic with a concrete barrier right next to your passenger side. Those construction zones usually have bad roads to drive on and the smallest pothole can pull your steering wheel to one side or the other unlike what those potholes do to cars.
I'd do it in a heartbeat. I found out long ago the secret to backing up big, long trailers: rear view mirrors. Always. Above and beyond the cameras.

Blind side? I've had angles, docks with no visual references (I want to find that architect and kick him), a dock with a fence about 60' from the door, and one where the only way in is to back off the road, then spin the trailer-backward-180 degrees while getting as close as possible to a storage trailer. At that stop, if you don't think you're going to hit the trailer, stop and realign, you're too far out.

My first week with another driver, I got to thread a 36' trailer through a city laid out in the 18th century. (And full of low bridges.) City drivers get REALLY good an backing up...we have to!

Ok...prediction......
These protests are not going to be allowed to continue. We're too deep into the Statist / Marxist movement at this point.
How will they stop them?

1). They're going to make examples of people. Ruin them financially, discredit them and then give them insane jail sentences (kinda happening already.
2). Internet and cellular access is about to be "modified" to conveniently block certain groups of people. Yup...they can do it.
3). Use of brute force. They've done it before and me thinks they're about to ramp it back up. People are going to get killed for protesting peacefully.

Forum List

Back