Facebook (META) loses 237.6 billion in value in one day, a market all time record.

Only on paper. These are unrealized loses.
All market losses (and gains) are on paper, but have very real consequences.

A loss in share price means a loss in corporate valuation and a loss in the portfolios of anyone holding those shares.

They don't actually bring a backhoe into Scrooge McDuck's vault and take out trucks full of loot.

At the end of the day ... Facebook has two revenue streams ... selling advertising space and market data.

Google, Youtube, and a few dozen other companies are selling the exact same product and it appears the market is becoming saturated.

It's probably well past the time that the market start revaluing these products.

All market losses (and gains) are on paper, but have very real consequences.

A loss in share price means a loss in corporate valuation and a loss in the portfolios of anyone holding those shares.

They don't actually bring a backhoe into Scrooge McDuck's vault and take out trucks full of loot.

The backhoes only show up when someone buys or sells.

Market event.

The backhoes only show up when someone buys or sells.

Share prices are based on the last sale price ... every time someone buys, someone else sells.

So, buying and selling are happening every minute the market is open.

Share prices are based on the last sale price ... every time someone buys, someone else sells.

So, buying and selling are happening every minute the market is open.

Meh...realized gains and losses. What was the price when you bought your two shares?

Meh...realized gains and losses. What was the price when you bought your two shares?

I stay away from popular, overpriced tech stocks. I've been burned, badly, before ...

However, in the case of common stock trades, gains and losses are realized immediately. You cannot sell a stock unless someone else is willing to buy it. If no one wants to buy it, you continue to lower the price until someone thinks the stock you're trying to sell is priced correctly (in their opinion).

After the sale, you have lost the value of the stocks in your portfolio, and gained the value of the price paid by the buyer. In a falling market, you will have realized a loss.

If you're the buyer, you will have paid out for a stock, and the current value of that stock adds to the value of your portfolio. You can't realize any gains (or losses) for that trade until you sell the stock.

However, the value of your portfolio is real equity. You can borrow on that equity as if it were real cash.

Zucky helped put Biden is office.
He censors people's opinions.
He sells people's personal data to marketers.
And he seems to loath about 3/4 of Americans.
Yep, that will drive off his customers.
But worst of all he has less personality than Data.
zuckisdatahdhddh.jpg

I stay away from popular, overpriced tech stocks. I've been burned, badly, before ...

However, in the case of common stock trades, gains and losses are realized immediately. You cannot sell a stock unless someone else is willing to buy it. If no one wants to buy it, you continue to lower the price until someone thinks the stock you're trying to sell is priced correctly (in their opinion).

After the sale, you have lost the value of the stocks in your portfolio, and gained the value of the price paid by the buyer. In a falling market, you will have realized a loss.

If you're the buyer, you will have paid out for a stock, and the current value of that stock adds to the value of your portfolio. You can't realize any gains (or losses) for that trade until you sell the stock.

However, the value of your portfolio is real equity. You can borrow on that equity as if it were real cash.
Billions of dollars did not evaporate....it just changed hands.

Only on paper. These are unrealized loses.

What it IS -- is a change in EVALUATION of what FB is worth. Has nothing to do with money flow as long as Meta cum FaceBook doesn't try to raise cash with company stock.

However -- gross EVALUATION changes like this can EASILY lead to making FB worthless for REAL -- not just on paper.

Turns out -- BESIDES the LOSS of members -- the MAIN trigger was a deal gone sour between Apple and Facebook to allow FB to HAVE people's phone data on shopping, financials, and other sensitive personal habits and preferences.

Apple TIGHTENED it's "3rd party access" to this information (good for them) and left FB with the REAL POSSIBILITY of losing $10Bill in revenue just in 2022, because the cozy customer spy ring got broken up!!!!! Those pennies they make selling you out to advertizers REALLY ADD up.

Between them, MSNBC, FoxNews, and CNN only raise about 2.5Bill per year in ad revenue !!!!!! No wonder ZuckerBird bailed in 2018. Most of their income was on thin ice.

J.P. Morgan’s Doug Anmuth was also worried about the impact to Meta from Apple’s privacy changes and iOS operating system. The company pegged the potential 2022 negative impact at $10 billion on the earnings call, with Wehner calling it “a pretty significant headwind” for Meta’s business.

“Through 4Q, we were optimistic that FB was making tangible progress in recovering lost signal stemming from the iOS ad changes,” Anmuth wrote. “However, we believe management’s tone around iOS impact has deteriorated, and what was once described as ‘manageable’ now appears to be a $10B revenue headwind in 2022.”

Last edited:

Strange thing I saw when I looked up the Meta quote for today.. IT OPENED down right around 25% and STAYED FLAT.. Did they lock up trading? THe volume showed a huge spike at opening and nothing else the rest of the day.

Oh and the Meta future for tomorrow is +3.40 or something giggly.

SO -- how come what YOU just described didn't happen for a LONGER trading time today? The sellers in the 1st HOUR had buyers -- until they didn't an hour later. And NOBODY came back in ???

Is this the equivalent of a NASDAQ funeral or something? I want the "dead cat bounce" or I can't enjoy this. :wink:

Strange thing I saw when I looked up the Meta quote for today.. IT OPENED down right around 25% and STAYED FLAT.. Did they lock up trading? THe volume showed a huge spike at opening and nothing else the rest of the day.

Oh and the Meta future for tomorrow is +3.40 or something giggly.

SO -- how come what YOU just described didn't happen for a LONGER trading time today? The sellers in the 1st HOUR had buyers -- until they didn't an hour later. And NOBODY came back in ???

Is this the equivalent of a NASDAQ funeral or something? I want the "dead cat bounce" or I can't enjoy this. :wink:

Trading can stop on the NASDAQ for any stock if there is a significant imbalance between available buyers and sellers. This is called a non-regulatory halt.

But, if that happened, I don't see any news about it.

This could have happened because a particular institutional investor or group of investors decided for some reason to dump their position in Facebook. Many times, this will lead to panic selling among smaller investors, something not seen today.

Honestly, without doing any detailed analysis on it, I can't say why it happened the way it did. I'm not invested in FB so I'm not keen to do so.

Time will tell if this is a one-off thing or a general re-evaluation of these social media companies and their limited business models.

Forum List

Back