Financial Literacy is needed over books and courses of Indoctrination

LeftofLeft

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2011
While schools are debating curriculum and content on bullshit topics that do our youth little good for the future, all schools, all points from the political spectrum within these schools, need to get behind more Financial Literacy throughout K-12.

Great. It needs to be universal across the land. The NEA should be pushing this as a top priority.
It's a state thing and you might already have it. You should have access to the requirements via a state website.

We already have micro and macro economics. It's been available in several states I have lived in.

It's a state thing and you might already have it. You should have access to the requirements via a state website.

We already have micro and macro economics. It's been available in several states I have lived in.
Pushing this off to the states as micro and macro economics electives is limited.

It should be a collaboration among Federal, State, local, and unions. Education stakeholders nationally have no problem pushing content and curriculum nationally. I believe Personal Financial Literacy should be at least on par with restorative justice and critical race theory. Personal Finance Literacy will yield more essential skills sets and critical thinking.

Pushing this off to the states as micro and macro economics electives is limited.

It should be a collaboration among Federal, State, local, and unions. Education stakeholders nationally have no problem pushing content and curriculum nationally. I believe Personal Financial Literacy should be at least on par with restorative justice and critical race theory. Personal Finance Literacy will yield more essential skills sets and critical thinking.
It's not limited by any means. It's not pushed off to the states. The first step is identifying whether or not it exists in your state and then you can move forward.

It's not limited by any means. It's not pushed off to the states. The first step is identifying whether or not it exists in your state and then you can move forward.
It does exist in my state and many other states. The point of my post was that universally, what ever existence, I don’t believe current Financial Literacy is sufficient and can use more emphasis, structure, and resources to fill a sufficient gap.

This should be a top priority. One year of simple macroeconomics, one year of personal economics. Required.

Preferably before they graduate high school, and before their minds are polluted and distorted by simplistic partisan politics.
I think you also need Personal Finance and basic accounting and business finance.

teaching finances would cripples a lot of big corps...such as the damn 10 yr car loan...i am still taken back by that
Those longer term loans for cars are red flags that we do not pay attention to. Has been getting longer and longer for some decades.

It does exist in my state and many other states. The point of my post was that universally, what ever existence, I don’t believe current Financial Literacy is sufficient and can use more emphasis, structure, and resources to fill a sufficient gap.
Help me understand those specific gaps. Please and thank you.

Why is that?

Are my CFP, CLU, ChFC, 7, 63 and 65 credentials not advanced enough for an economic genius like you?

Please get specific.
Those are professional certifications and you are clearly more advanced and knowledgeable than myself.

I’m not out for a pissing contest. But, given your background, I would hope that you would see the value of BASIC and core financial literacy and aptitudes for 18 year olds as they embark on the next phase of their life. I am thinking of an 18 year old who might think more about taking on egregious college debt and the return on investment. I am thinking of the 18 year old that has aspirations of running a small business built around a trade or craft. I am thinking of the 18 year old who gets hold of a consumer credit card and personal loans and the opportunities and pitfalls those debt instruments represent. This is not about replacing or usurping macro and micro economics courses which I see equally valuable.

Those are professional certifications and you are clearly more advanced and knowledgeable than myself.

I’m not out for a pissing contest. But, given your background, I would hope that you would see the value of BASIC and core financial literacy and aptitudes for 18 year olds as they embark on the next phase of their life. I am thinking of an 18 year old who might think more about taking on egregious college debt and the return on investment. I am thinking of the 18 year old that has aspirations of running a small business built around a trade or craft. I am thinking of the 18 year old who gets hold of a consumer credit card and personal loans and the opportunities and pitfalls those debt instruments represent. This is not about replacing or usurping macro and micro economics courses which I see equally valuable.
My apologies. I thought your post was about me personally, which is what I usually get here.

I couldn't agree more. This stuff should be REQUIRED for all kids.

Please see my response in Post #15. Thanks
OK. So what you want is for students to objectively weigh their career options and how they will be financing the education/training before they go into debt and society is forced to pay off their loans?

Financial Literacy already goes through the steps of opening bank accounts.

My apologies. I thought your post was about me personally, which is what I usually get here.

I couldn't agree more. This stuff should be REQUIRED for all kids.
Thanks. No worries.

Forum List

Back