Today is the Israeli national memorial day of the Holocaust

Oh I remember a story about the reunion of a man and woman who were married and shared a wedding fork. He had one half she had the other. After the war they were reunited. It was called, The fork" they made a short film out of the story. It was so beautiful! I cried and cried when I saw it. It was a very touching story.

Oh, I have seen that one! very touching...:(

One of Uncle Herman's favourite stories was about how he met his wife Roma. He would recount the astonishing tale of how, as an 11-year-old Polish Jew interned by the Nazis in a sub-camp of Buchenwald, he was sustained by a young girl who came each day to throw him apples over the fence. He never knew her name. In 1945, Rosenblat and his three elder brothers were liberated by allied troops from Theresienstadt concentration camp, where they had been transferred shortly before the armistice.

Twelve years later, Rosenblat was living in New York when a friend set him up on a blind date. In an incredible twist of fate, the curly-haired woman with green eyes who was his date for the evening turned out to be his childhood saviour,

There was just one problem - it wasn't true.
The story of Herman Rosenblat's hoax | Books | The Observer

Oh I remember a story about the reunion of a man and woman who were married and shared a wedding fork. He had one half she had the other. After the war they were reunited. It was called, The fork" they made a short film out of the story. It was so beautiful! I cried and cried when I saw it. It was a very touching story.

Oh, I have seen that one! very touching...:(

I wanted to find it on youtube but it isn't there. I found another story about a reunion between two cousins after 70 years and it is a great story too. That wedding story with the fork got me to the core. The other short film that really had a deep impact was of a little girl hiding in a closet with a glass unicorn. If I could think of the title, it might be the unicorn. It won top award for short film, it was done very well. I have to find that.

I have to tell you something, Lipush. I have a friend who is a survivor of Aushwitz. She is a very private person and I find myself blessed to have met her. If you had not put this thread up today, Lipush? I would not have remembered to send her an e card remembering her. So because of you I was able to send the e card. Today is a day these survivors are grieving in a way others do not understand. You did a good Mizvah, Lipush. Good deed. I am so glad you put this thread up! - Jeri

And no other nationality has had every family, within it, affected by the Holocaust. It's also hard for me, as a Jew, to sympathize with Ukrainians and Poles who, in many cases, collaberated (sp?) with the Nazis in killing Jews.

jews is not a nationality fat boy

OK, no other people. Semantics. As for being fat, I'm about 10 lbs. overweight, but it doesn't really show.

Hey! You're forever young. Whats a few pounds? :eusa_angel:

Who is "we" you are speaking for? Certainly not for me!

To those that lost family and loved ones...my condolences. To the Jewish people...my sorrow.

And it's pretty sad that this thread couldn't just honor those who died...ALL of them...at the hands of an insane man instead of a pissing match between board members. Sad indeed.

Marg, the victims of your family, of mine, of our entire people lost to the wicked and cruel ones in Europe, are all Keddoshim, and we will forever respect and love and tear their memory and heroism.

Those who consider it "whining" will never be able to understand the nobility,selflessness, and simple greatness of their sacrifice. That is something that could never be taken away from us.

My grandmother survived Auschwitz-Birkenau, and so did her husband. her younger step brother died by the hands of Mengele. my other uncle survived to raise 3 children and see the wide eyes of 3 grandchildren. and they are beautiful!

Children, grandchildren born to survivors, Marg, are our only, our best, vengeance!

As the Torah says, "V'kaasher ya'anu oto, ken yirbe, vechen yifrotz!":)

Last edited:
25 posts cleaned!

Memorial thread or not trolling is no longer tolerated in these forums. If another post ends up in this thread or section (Israel/Palestine) by those that insist in trolling in this section I will personally remove the offender from this section for 6 months. Whoever is trolling may want to be directed to this post because we can no longer play this game of constantly cleaning up garbage in this forum.

Anyone caught or reported for trolling can kiss this section goodbye for 6 months. We're done. Thank you..

this is being read in each Holocaust memorial day in Israel.

"Yizkor"("Remember") By Abba kovner

We shall remember our brothers and sisters,
The city houses and the country houses,
The shtetl streets rushing like rivers
And the lonely inn on the country road --
The aged man and the features of his face,
The mother in her kerchief,
The young girl with her braids,
The children.
The children.
The people Israel in thousands of communities
Among all the human families,
The entire assembly of Jews
Brought down to slaughter on the soil of Europe
By the Nazi destroyer,
The man who suddenty screamed
And while screaming died,
The woman, clutching her infant to her breast,
Whose arms gave out,
The infant groping for his mother's nipple
Finding it blue and cold.

The feet,
The feet that sought refuge,
Though flight was no longer possible,
And those who made their hands into a fist,
The fist that gripped the iron,
The iron that became the weapon of vision,
Of despair, and of rebellion,
And those, the pure of heart,
Those whose eyes were opened,
Those who risked their lives,
Though they lacked the power to triumph.
We shall remember the day,
The day in its brightness, the sun that rose
Over the bloody conflagration,
The lofty silent heavens.
We shall remember the mounds of dust
Beneath the gardens in bloom.
The living shall remember their dead
For they are forever before us.
Look! Their eyes dart round and about,
Allowing us no peace, no peace,
Until our lives become worthy of their memory.

Last edited:
The best way to honor the memory of Holocaust victims, would be to respect the international humanitarian laws that were created to prevent another one.

The Charter of the United Nations (1945) stipulates that the threat or use of force against other states is unlawful, except in the case of self-desfense. Following World War II, the Geneva Conventions of 1949, as well as its two Additional Protocols of 1977, further limited the means of warfare and provided protections to non-combatants civilians, and prisoners of war. In the aftermath of the atrocities of the Holocaust, the Genocide Convention of 1948 outlawed acts that were carried out with the intention of destroying a particular group. In addition to these conventions, international humanitarian law has been developed and refined through several statutes and precedents laid down by international tribunals set up to try war criminals, as well as advisory opinions the International Court of Justice.

I am not Jewish, but I wish I could march along with them...so I will have to do it in spirit.

We gentiles have to show our Jewish board members that not all non-Jews are like the despicable cretins who are denigratin' this solemn day of remembrance.

I thank you.

I have never been in March of the living, I wish I could. I got a better price though. I stood by the house where Mengele tortured my great uncle, and knew he didn't win at the end:)

Lipush, you and your children, and all the children of Israel are testament to that victory.

May The Holy One, Blessed be He, always protect you.

In memory of Lucy Dawidowicz.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymuF7uG6wis]Henyrk Górecki - Symphony No. 3, Op. 36 - YouTube[/ame]

I have never been in March of the living, I wish I could. I got a better price though. I stood by the house where Mengele tortured my great uncle, and knew he didn't win at the end:)

Lipush, you and your children, and all the children of Israel are testament to that victory.

May The Holy One, Blessed be He, always protect you.

Thank you so much.

Israelis from the Golan to Eilat stood still for one minute Monday morning in memory of the Holocaust martyrs.

Photos by Flash 90.

Resizer.ashx

Resizer.ashx

Resizer.ashx

Resizer.ashx

Resizer.ashx

Resizer.ashx

"Children, grandchildren born to survivors, Marg, are our only, our best, vengeance!"

I couldn't agree more! And every tiny act of kindness, of goodwill, of acceptance, which crosses those many many lines which the NAZIs drew to divide and oppress humanity, is a testament to the power of love and life to conquer even such hatred as the Holocaust.

It is of such acts of loving-kindness towards those not 'ours' which will enable the Messiah to come to the world.

"Children, grandchildren born to survivors, Marg, are our only, our best, vengeance!"

I couldn't agree more! And every tiny act of kindness, of goodwill, of acceptance, which crosses those many many lines which the NAZIs drew to divide and oppress humanity, is a testament to the power of love and life to conquer even such hatred as the Holocaust.

It is of such acts of loving-kindness towards those not 'ours' which will enable the Messiah to come to the world.

Oh, Be'ezrat HaShem!:eusa_pray:

Forum List

Back