CDZ To Trick-Or Treat Or Not To Trick-Or-Treat? (That Is The Question)

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
I used to love to go trick-or-treating. With my mom when I was really little and my friends when I was older, but I guess that because it's a different world today some people (not me) don't think it's a good idea to let kids go candy hunting. So I was wondering what you guys thought.

I was not allowed to T or T, we participated, but were only allowed to hand out the candy. It was a begging thing for my folks long before the atrocious actions of sick people in the 70s. I took my daughter around and she continued until sixth grade when she felt she was too old to go. Her little ones go and we still do a trunk or treat in the rural area where we live.

I used to love to go trick-or-treating. With my mom when I was really little and my friends when I was older, but I guess that because it's a different world today some people (not me) don't think it's a good idea to let kids go candy hunting. So I was wondering what you guys thought.
I used to trick or treat with my brothers or friends when I was a kid, often doing mischief, like soaping windows with a bar of soap or toilet papering trees at houses where nobody home or were not giving candy. We went with our kids when they were young. The missed out on the mischief for the most part until they were older. We see less and less trick or treaters in the neighborhood every year, but keep buying the candy decorating outside, just in case some kids enjoy the freedom I had as a kid.

We went alone as a kid. Those days are gone. It isn't just the creeper molester thing. With so many caravans of people trying to maximize their haul, it isn't safe for little ones to have to navigate traffic. When I was a kid, people tended to avoid driving in residential areas between about 6 and 830 on halloween night. No longer the case.

The Haunted House thing these days is actually a lot cooler than the 'trick or treat' stuff for kids, too many mentally ill freaks out there now.

Trick or treating is completely dead around here; some of the older neighborhoods, where everybody knows everybody, still do it along with special stuff for the whole block, little block party carnivals and stuff.

I can’t remember the last time we had trick or treaters.

Not that I miss them mind you.

I will get about 150 kids tonight, we live in a very family friendly sub-division. I love seeing them. I am happy they are doing it again. My kids did it every year but they are all grown now

I was not allowed to T or T, we participated, but were only allowed to hand out the candy. It was a begging thing for my folks long before the atrocious actions of sick people in the 70s. I took my daughter around and she continued until sixth grade when she felt she was too old to go. Her little ones go and we still do a trunk or treat in the rural area where we live.

Yeah, I stopped going myself when I was around your daughter's age. I still dress up and hand out candy though and walk around and have fun with the neighborhood kids. ;)
We went alone as a kid. Those days are gone. It isn't just the creeper molester thing. With so many caravans of people trying to maximize their haul, it isn't safe for little ones to have to navigate traffic. When I was a kid, people tended to avoid driving in residential areas between about 6 and 830 on halloween night. No longer the case.

So,.. are you against trick-or-treating then?

The Haunted House thing these days is actually a lot cooler than the 'trick or treat' stuff for kids, too many mentally ill freaks out there now.

Another helicopter parent. :sigh2:

Yeah, I stopped going myself when I was around your daughter's age. I still dress up and hand out candy though and walk around and have fun with the neighborhood kids. ;)

Another helicopter parent. :sigh2:

who's a 'helicopter parent'? Not me, my kids are grown, and they started being allowed independence early; they knew not to fuck up and then expect to be bailed out.

No I am not against trick or treating. I wish more kids did it. I just wish there was no traffic so the kids could go out on their own like we did when I was a kid. It makes it funner and scarier :)

There are a lot of trunk or treats at churches in our area now which I am not a huge fan of because they are costume nazis.

We still give out candy. My neighborhood had gotten to where there weren't a lot of kids and only me and the across the street woman gave out candy on our street. I was about to give up on it but a couple three years ago there was a noticeable uptick in the number of young ones around. Technically almost all of them are from the next door hood but who cares. It is nice to see a lot of younger families moving in. Several are foreign born parents with tons of tykes but they have really changed the dynamic of that neighborhood for the better. They have been fixing up older houses, really gotten into these American Holidays, aren't any trouble, and really have brought some energy back into the area.

Yes. It's fun. We need fun, kids especially need fun, probably now more than ever.

It's also one of the few times that a lot of people meet their neighbors.

When my son was little our street was 3 blocks long with a ton of children. Everyone went to one another's house for the trick or treating part. . Then it was off to the park party for games and prizes. It was an unbelievably good time.

Unfortunately as the years passed the old neighborhood became more diverse. Older diverse kids attacked the small ones and stole their candy. Then they stole all the prizes at the park party and vandalized the decorations. When adults intervened the police came and just told everyone to go home. No more excited kids showing off costumes. No more party at the park. Lots of diversity though.

My neighborhood hasn't done trick or treats on our street for as long as I've lived here, seems. Sad. But I do get to walk down to my church and help out with the "fall festival" there, and wear a costume while helping out.

When I was a kid we lived in a suburban neighborhood where everyone knew the neighbors and the neighbor's kids. We used to all play together and trick or treat together. The parents would have shot glasses when they went around with their little kids and 'trick or treat' for booze. It was all in fun. Older kids would go around sans parents and collect sacks full of candy. It was a magical time really in early California. Sad to see all of that go.

I live in a rural mountain area of CA now and we shut down the retail strip along the State Highway and kids can trick or treat in town. Really nice for the kids but not the same, IMO.

I have always loved Halloween. When I was a kid we would go trick or treating all over. Candy would last for months.

When I had kids, I was in charge of Halloween. We spent months planning costumes.
Only 2 rules. 1) Must be homemade. 2) Must be scary or at least bloody. None of this Princess stuff, unless the princess had been mauled by a bear.

My 35 year old daughter dressed up as Carrie for Halloween. All homemade and all bloody as hell.

Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.

When my son was little our street was 3 blocks long with a ton of children. Everyone went to one another's house for the trick or treating part. . Then it was off to the park party for games and prizes. It was an unbelievably good time.

Unfortunately as the years passed the old neighborhood became more diverse. Older diverse kids attacked the small ones and stole their candy. Then they stole all the prizes at the park party and vandalized the decorations. When adults intervened the police came and just told everyone to go home. No more excited kids showing off costumes. No more party at the park. Lots of diversity though.

It is cute how you use the word "diverse" to avoid sounding like a racist jerk. Not that it worked, but it was still cute none the less.

Forum List

Back