To Remove Lead Water Pipes, First You Must Find Them

big difference between a large natural disaster and a failure of a city/county,,,
Having an aging infra structure (lead pipes for instance) is NOT a "failure"...
when they charged people for maintenance and didnt provide it it is,,,

they should have dealt with this yrs ago,,,
Maintenance id REPAIR...not replacement
sorry but youre wrong,, its all one in the same,,,
Absolutely wrong. I was a Project Manager for years and every organization I ever worked with had a bucket of money for maintenance and a separate one for capitol expenditures. And because of that we were often stuck repairing equipment that should have been replaced.

Safe drinking water for everyone in America is an important goal, and Joe Biden’s American Jobs Plan makes a $111 billion investment toward that. While the majority of the funding goes to modernizing water treatment and delivery systems and remediating potentially harmful chemicals like PFAS, what’s gotten the most attention is a $45 billion initiative to “replace 100 percent of the nation’s lead pipes and service lines.”

If we could manage to do this, it would make a huge difference. Lead exposure has been credibly linked to stunted child development, kidney disease, auditory problems, brain damage, behavioral challenges, and more provocatively, crime. We eliminated leaded gasoline and paint in the 1970s and yet it still lingers as a persistent problem. And part of that comes through water tainted as it flows through lead pipes.

But if you want to replace all the lead water pipes in America, the first thing you have to do is find all the lead water pipes in America.

This sounds like it has the makings of a chaotic nightmare. I don't have a problem with it as long as homeowners are not having to come up with money to replace them.
in all my 45 yrs of working on old houses I have never seen a single lead water pipe,, they are used fro drain pipes but not water pipes because they cant handle the pressure,,

The entire issue in Flint Michigan with their water pipes was due to lead in the water system, so it's a fallacy to say this isn't a problem in the USA.

So far, all we know is that it's an issue in Flynt Michigan.

Who is this “we” you speak of? I posted a link to an article that said the 10 million homes are being served by lead pipes in the United States.

Apparently millions of people are aware that this is an ongoing issue, but you are not one of them.

I think we are past the time you should worry about america and focus on your own country,,,

Because of something that fool Blaylock posted on this board???? You're even dumber than you look.
oh shut up you nazi canadian skank,,,

big difference between a large natural disaster and a failure of a city/county,,,
Having an aging infra structure (lead pipes for instance) is NOT a "failure"...
when they charged people for maintenance and didnt provide it it is,,,

they should have dealt with this yrs ago,,,
Maintenance id REPAIR...not replacement
sorry but youre wrong,, its all one in the same,,,
Absolutely wrong. I was a Project Manager for years and every organization I ever worked with had a bucket of money for maintenance and a separate one for capitol expenditures. And because of that we were often stuck repairing equipment that should have been replaced.
its all one department in charge of a specific utility,,

No. It is not. Talk to anyone who deal with organizational finance. There is a bucket of money allocated for main. and one for Capitol Expenditures and the latter is far harder to shake loose. And that means that equipment that SHOULD be replaced ends up getting patched together because maint money is always being spent and Capitol Expenditures take a near act of God.

No. It is not. Talk to anyone who deal with organizational finance. There is a bucket of money allocated for main. and one for Capitol Expenditures and the latter is far harder to shake loose. And that means that equipment that SHOULD be replaced ends up getting patched together because maint money is always being spent and Capitol Expenditures take a near act of God.
its the same organization that failed to deal with the problem,, so they should pay for it not me,,

Safe drinking water for everyone in America is an important goal, and Joe Biden’s American Jobs Plan makes a $111 billion investment toward that. While the majority of the funding goes to modernizing water treatment and delivery systems and remediating potentially harmful chemicals like PFAS, what’s gotten the most attention is a $45 billion initiative to “replace 100 percent of the nation’s lead pipes and service lines.”

If we could manage to do this, it would make a huge difference. Lead exposure has been credibly linked to stunted child development, kidney disease, auditory problems, brain damage, behavioral challenges, and more provocatively, crime. We eliminated leaded gasoline and paint in the 1970s and yet it still lingers as a persistent problem. And part of that comes through water tainted as it flows through lead pipes.

But if you want to replace all the lead water pipes in America, the first thing you have to do is find all the lead water pipes in America.

This sounds like it has the makings of a chaotic nightmare. I don't have a problem with it as long as homeowners are not having to come up with money to replace them.
in all my 45 yrs of working on old houses I have never seen a single lead water pipe,, they are used fro drain pipes but not water pipes because they cant handle the pressure,,
That's interesting. I don't know anything about the water pipes in old houses (or new ones or in general).
Water pipes have been copper for many-many decades. I have never see an lead pipe anywhere. Modern homes today have PEX pipes (used for 30 years now) which have no metal at all.

That's interesting. I don't know anything about the water pipes in old houses (or new ones or in general).
Water pipes have been copper for many-many decades. I have never see an lead pipe anywhere. Modern homes today have PEX pipes which have no metal at all.
this is about mainlines not the ones inside houses,,

I don't think solder ever comes in contact with the water on a copper pipe joint if it is done right. So that is a non-issue as well.
The solder is what makes the joints watertight, of course it comes into contact with the water. That's why they banned it.
How many copper pipes have you soldered? None, didn't think so. I made my living working with just that medium. The configuration of the soldered joint never allows the water to contact the solder. The solder just holds the pipe in place. Just STFU, you don't know shit.
If you aren't smart enough to know that you need to solder a copper sweat joint I highly ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LGBdoubt that you worked with that medium. Better yet, you put a sweat joint together without solder and stand under it while I turn the water on.

how does it make it water tight if it never touches the water??

OK I'll make it really simple. You have a sweat joint with say a straight pipe and an elbow. You clean the outside of the pipe and the inside of the elbow, then you slide the elbow onto the pipe. Fits kinda snug but is not water tight, trust me if you turned the water on now it would blow the two pieces apart. . The solder fills the gap between the two pieces of copper, fills it completely otherwise it would leak. So not only does the solder weld the two pieces of copper together it acts as the seel to keep the water in. The water is pushing on the solder so of course it comes in contact with it.

SO WHAT?

Use of Lead Free Pipes, Fittings, Fixtures, Solder, and Flux for Drinking Water
Final "Lead Free" Rule

On September 1, 2020, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) published the final regulation "Use of Lead Free Pipes, Fittings, Fixtures, Solder, and Flux for Drinking Water." In the final rule, EPA makes conforming changes to existing regulations based on the Reduction of Lead in Drinking Water Act (RLDWA) and the Community Fire Safety Act enacted by Congress. The final rule also requires that manufacturers or importers certify that their products meet the requirements using a consistent verification process within 3 years of the final rule publication date in the Federal Register. As a result, this new rule will reduce lead in drinking water and assure that states, manufacturers, inspectors and consumers have a common understanding of “Lead Free” plumbing.

Final "Lead Free" Rule

[...]

Legislative History

In 1986 Congress Amended the Safe Drinking Water Act, prohibiting the use of pipes, solder or flux that were not “lead free” in public water systems or plumbing in facilities providing water for human consumption. At the time "lead free” was defined as solder and flux with no more than 0.2% lead and pipes with no more than 8%.

[/QUOTE]
I don't know what you think you are saying other than the fact that you basically have no idea what plumbing actually is.

I don't think solder ever comes in contact with the water on a copper pipe joint if it is done right. So that is a non-issue as well.
The solder is what makes the joints watertight, of course it comes into contact with the water. That's why they banned it.
How many copper pipes have you soldered? None, didn't think so. I made my living working with just that medium. The configuration of the soldered joint never allows the water to contact the solder. The solder just holds the pipe in place. Just STFU, you don't know shit.
If you aren't smart enough to know that you need to solder a copper sweat joint I highly ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LGBdoubt that you worked with that medium. Better yet, you put a sweat joint together without solder and stand under it while I turn the water on.

OK I'll make it really simple. You have a sweat joint with say a straight pipe and an elbow. You clean the outside of the pipe and the inside of the elbow, then you slide the elbow onto the pipe. Fits kinda snug but is not water tight, trust me if you turned the water on now it would blow the two pieces apart. . The solder fills the gap between the two pieces of copper, fills it completely otherwise it would leak. So not only does the solder weld the two pieces of copper together it acts as the seel to keep the water in. The water is pushing on the solder so of course it comes in contact with it.

SO WHAT?

Final "Lead Free" Rule

On September 1, 2020, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) published the final regulation "Use of Lead Free Pipes, Fittings, Fixtures, Solder, and Flux for Drinking Water." In the final rule, EPA makes conforming changes to existing regulations based on the Reduction of Lead in Drinking Water Act (RLDWA) and the Community Fire Safety Act enacted by Congress. The final rule also requires that manufacturers or importers certify that their products meet the requirements using a consistent verification process within 3 years of the final rule publication date in the Federal Register. As a result, this new rule will reduce lead in drinking water and assure that states, manufacturers, inspectors and consumers have a common understanding of “Lead Free” plumbing.

Final "Lead Free" Rule

[...]

Legislative History

In 1986 Congress Amended the Safe Drinking Water Act, prohibiting the use of pipes, solder or flux that were not “lead free” in public water systems or plumbing in facilities providing water for human consumption. At the time "lead free” was defined as solder and flux with no more than 0.2% lead and pipes with no more than 8%.

I don't know what you think you are saying other than the fact that you basically have no idea what plumbing actually is.
[/QUOTE]
I know the male part goes in the female and a "V" gives two options.
A "T" is more complicated

SO WHAT?

Final "Lead Free" Rule

Final "Lead Free" Rule

[...]

Legislative History

I know the male part goes in the female and a "V" gives two options.
A "T" is more complicated
[/QUOTE]
That takes a master pipe layer. I B won

Show me any document that says fixing all the lead pipes in the country will cost $111 billion.
Show me one that shows otherwise. Or admit you only made up this horseshit because you saw Biden's name.

By the way, nobody has made the claim it will cost that much just to fix the lead pipes. So you are pissing in the wind anyway.
ROFL! Sorry, moron, but proving you wrong isn't my job. You have to prove Biden's number is justified.

That is the amount in Biden's "infrastucture" bill for fixing lead pipes, so you are obviously full of shit.

In really old houses water mains are cast iron with lead solder.

And even some houses that have copper may have been soldered with lead before lead solder was made illegal.
MAGA

Sorry I'm late to dinner ... and sorry to hijack the hijack back to the OP ...

Lead is mixed into the brass that the pipe fittings are made of ... this allows the brass to be milled at higher speeds, thus faster production ... I forget off-hand which direction the water's pH has to be, but this will start to leech the lead out of the brass and into the water in a biological active form ... this problem in the new Flint water supply got all the attention, but it wasn't the only problem ...

Lead pipes and lead/tin solder was outlawed in 1986 ... and lead in brass fittings was limited to 8% at that time ... in 2014 this was further reduced to 0.25% ... so unless yours is a brand new home, you've got a lead problem ... even if the piping is plastic, you still need to replace all your faucets and valves ...

I refuse to use plastic pipes in a home ... strictly Type L copper pipe for me ... much more rugged and durable, especial the joints where glue will fail and solder will last ... cheap plastic will save money on initial installation but is quickly lost ten-fold with just one leak ...

In summary, most of us have lead exposure in our plumbing works ... and it's up to our local water supplier to make sure the water stays in the safe pH range ... of course, the alternative is to drink beer instead, cheers m8 !!! ...

Forum List

Back