To Remove Lead Water Pipes, First You Must Find Them

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Safe drinking water for everyone in America is an important goal, and Joe Biden’s American Jobs Plan makes a $111 billion investment toward that. While the majority of the funding goes to modernizing water treatment and delivery systems and remediating potentially harmful chemicals like PFAS, what’s gotten the most attention is a $45 billion initiative to “replace 100 percent of the nation’s lead pipes and service lines.”

If we could manage to do this, it would make a huge difference. Lead exposure has been credibly linked to stunted child development, kidney disease, auditory problems, brain damage, behavioral challenges, and more provocatively, crime. We eliminated leaded gasoline and paint in the 1970s and yet it still lingers as a persistent problem. And part of that comes through water tainted as it flows through lead pipes.

But if you want to replace all the lead water pipes in America, the first thing you have to do is find all the lead water pipes in America.

This sounds like it has the makings of a chaotic nightmare. I don't have a problem with it as long as homeowners are not having to come up with money to replace them.

Safe drinking water for everyone in America is an important goal, and Joe Biden’s American Jobs Plan makes a $111 billion investment toward that. While the majority of the funding goes to modernizing water treatment and delivery systems and remediating potentially harmful chemicals like PFAS, what’s gotten the most attention is a $45 billion initiative to “replace 100 percent of the nation’s lead pipes and service lines.”

If we could manage to do this, it would make a huge difference. Lead exposure has been credibly linked to stunted child development, kidney disease, auditory problems, brain damage, behavioral challenges, and more provocatively, crime. We eliminated leaded gasoline and paint in the 1970s and yet it still lingers as a persistent problem. And part of that comes through water tainted as it flows through lead pipes.

But if you want to replace all the lead water pipes in America, the first thing you have to do is find all the lead water pipes in America.

This sounds like it has the makings of a chaotic nightmare. I don't have a problem with it as long as homeowners are not having to come up with money to replace them.
in all my 45 yrs of working on old houses I have never seen a single lead water pipe,, they are used fro drain pipes but not water pipes because they cant handle the pressure,,

in all my 45 yrs of working on old houses I have never seen a single lead water pipe,, they are used fro drain pipes but not water pipes because they cant handle the pressure,,
That's interesting. I don't know anything about the water pipes in old houses (or new ones or in general).

That's interesting. I don't know anything about the water pipes in old houses (or new ones or in general).
maybe I'm missing something,, but lead pipes would crush if you buried them and burst if you put them under the pressure water is put under,,

maybe I'm missing something,, but lead pipes would crush if you buried them and burst if you put them under the pressure water is put under,,
So, is the article misleading then? The author probably doesn't know a lot about pipes either so I am not saying it is lintentionally misleading. Maybe misinformed is closer to what I am looking for.

Shhhhh! You don't want to educate the left! Let them remain ignorant.

And yes lead is a very malleable material lol

So, is the article misleading then? The author probably doesn't know a lot about pipes either so I am not saying it is lintentionally misleading. Maybe misinformed is closer to what I am looking for.
not really sure whats going on,, I read an article and it just doesnt make sense,,

lead is just to soft to be buried or put under pressure,, and I have never heard of a alloy of steal and lead,,

Shhhhh! You don't want to educate the left! Let them remain ignorant.

And yes lead is a very malleable material lol

In really old houses water mains are cast iron with lead solder.

In really old houses water mains are cast iron with lead solder.
in cast iron its a grout not a solder,, and its put on the outside on top of the okum to seal the overlapping joint and it never comes close to the water,,, and thats on drains not supply lines,,

most new water lines of the time were steel pipes that later were given a galvanized coating,,

Agreed. I owned a number of old rental homes. The only lead pipes were waste pipes.

Agreed. I owned a number of old rental homes. The only lead pipes were waste pipes.
I have about 500 lbs of it sitting in my shop waiting to be melted down for bullets,,

1618163653724.png

Lead was used in the solder mixture to solder copper pipes together. You'd have to use a lot of solder at that joint to make the water toxic. Most of the copper pipes in my area have been replaced with PVC because copper pipes don't last forever.

I think some of the old cast iron sewer pipes were lined with lead to make them last longer because lead doesn't rust like cast iron, not sure on that though, but then that isn't drinking water.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Nothing Academia can't solve. It is modern broadband times.

How were the flint residents poisoned by lead in their water? Was it river water that was poisoned and pumped in to them?

What about other neighborhoods reporting lead poisoning from their water....????? :dunno:

Maybe you should educate yourself then.

Maybe you should educate yourself then.

we are talking about modern systems that are put under pressure,, that old stuff worked off of gravity not high pressure like we have today,,

How were the flint residents poisoned by lead in their water? Was it river water that was poisoned and pumped in to them?

What about other neighborhoods reporting lead poisoning from their water....????? :dunno:
Progressive Hunter posted this link a few posts above.

Forum List

Back